GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Habib Ghanim, Sr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:19:23 -0700
FYI

FYI from AMC

Reform Party hopeful Buchanan courts Muslim vote
 By Karla Crosswhite-Chigbue/CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/06/23/buchanan.muslim/index.html

 WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Reform Party presidential candidate Pat Buchanan
Friday drew parallels between himself and the American Muslim community.

 In a speech before the American Muslim Council, Buchanan told the group

they have shared family values and a belief that abortion is wrong.

 Islamic influence, he said, is "on the rise, and I believe the
influence of
your community in this country is positive, it is beneficial and it is
desperately needed in an age when I see our country going in the wrong
direction."

 Buchanan criticized first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton for planning to
attend a gay pride march Sunday in New York.

 "That, in my view is no place the first lady of the United States ought

toappear. I believe it is a march of decadence," he said.

 Buchanan spoke on international issues as well, calling for a more
"moral"
international policy. He said if he were president he would lift the
embargo
on humanitarian, civil and medical goods on Iraq.

 "I think that policy of imposing ruthless sanctions on the primary
victims
which are the old, the poor and the very young is an immoral policy and
it
shames us as a great nation and a great people," Buchanan said.

 On the Middle East, Buchanan said he believes there should be two
capitals
in the city of Jerusalem and said he believes it would be a mistake to
move
the American embassy into Jerusalem from Tel Aviv as some have
 suggested.