GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mohinder Bains <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:11:56 +0000
folks,
I have been following the various postings regarding the Coalition of
opposition parties for the october elections. Although there had been a
coalition of some sort not all in the opposition are in it.

Since total coalition is deemed by many to be the demise of the Aprc, I am
inclined to hold the contrary view.  I think that those parties that cannot
compromise their principles to join the UDP/PPP alliance should contest the
election in their own way and start campaigning vigorously on the APRC's
shortcomings, chiefly the lack of respect for human rights and the
disbandment of the NIA among other things.

This would definitely emboldened the masses and would be to the opposition
gain because most of the support for the APRC is based on fear.  If the
opposition could help the people muster enough courage, only then would the
'Butcher of Kanilai' be history. Even, if there should be total coalition of
opposition parties, the people must have the courage to stand up for what
they believe in otherwise nothing wil be gained.

APRC's Acolytes such as Jungle Sunrise take satisfaction on a divided
opposition thereby assuming that there will be an easy victory for his side.
  I believe his celebrations are a bit premature because the APRC has no
political clout among the gambian masses. It relies on intimidation and
manipulation to give a false impression of its support but would surely
crumble when faced with reality.

I wouldf therefore implore all in the opposition to carry on with this task
because of the limited time available and defer their disagreement about
coalition until when a second ballot is needed.

Peace
Mohin.