GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:51:20 +0200
Friends,
Even I don´t think that there will ever be any report on the april
incidents, or the truth be found, it still upsets me every time I see
something in the gambian news.

I think that DR TAAL takes too much in his mouth, when he, as referred in
Daily Observer, says, that "others who are charged with murder are kept in
the cells". I think that the authorities was very quick to take Mr. Darboe
and 24 of his supporters after the rally-incident, while at the same time
the authorities has still not charged a single person for the april
-incident-killings. Even the authorities were prepared,  and present at all
places, where incidents took place. ( Mr. Badjie´s report to the commission
reported in The Independent)

It cries to heaven of lack of competence in the military/police,  that there
has not been one single person taken and charged for those days killings. I
have said it before and I repeat, I can not understand it, but I conclude to
myself, why it is so. There were so many witnesses,  but up till now not a
single person is charged.
If the military or paramilitary had the situation under control (they took
many students to the headquarters), why is it that they had no success in
taking a single person with his weapon, if they saw such a person. Specially
when it´s reported from leading officers, and stated by the president, that
it was people among the students or the crowd who fired their weapons and
killed, even weapons stolen, or given from Casamance-rebels. Why is it that
the leading officers all report for the commission, that they after the
operation counted all bullets and not a single was missing, nor a weapon
reported stolen. If they have seen people among the masses shooting, why is
it they did not bring them in, or can give any evidences of the bullets
used. They (the military/police) have not yet presented (as far as I have
read) any cartridge cases collected on the places. How will they be able to
support their own theory, that it was the students, or people from the
masses, that fired and killed ? That is why I still believe, that the
evidences we got from the first day in april, that it was the military that
shoot and killed, are still the most valid.

Then I ask DR TAAL, "why  is no military put in the cells and charged with
murder". If Mr. Badjie is right, which I believe until other things are
proved, the order was, that the students should be dispersed by all means.
It´s a strong evidence, because now we hear directly, that the men who fired
did it on an order given from the former Director of IG. "By all means" is
understood by the private soldiers on duty as said, "by all means".

Still comments from Asbjørn Nordam

From The Independent
>"Mr. Badjie, who confirmed seeing paramilitary and other security men looking
>like armed soldiers during the demonstrations, also told the commission that he
>spoke to the Commissioner of Police Operations but was informed that the former
>DIG wanted the students dispersed by all means. Mr. Badjie acknowledged that
>the security forces were armed with AK 47 rifles and that he later learned of
>the casualties when he advised one Inspector Jobe to visit the mortuary and
>assess the wounded for possible advice."

Daily Observer Published 07/28/00