GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:23:57 EDT
Brother Sidibeh,

Unfortunately, I am also well aware that the idea of a rivalry is not at all
ridiculous and defining it as that is deliberate on my part. I guess the way I
deal with that is to ignore it and consider it ridiculous so that others will
see it as just that and concentrate on more productive things. Your
conributions always direct us to the more important matters we should expend our
energies on.

You wrote:

"In a long article years ago, I argued that Gambian intellectuals have mostly
remained aloof on socio-economic and political issues, sharing knowledge
neither with themselves nor with the unschooled masses."

Our intellectuals unfortunately are focussed on matters that benefit neither
themselves nor anyone else. Knowledge is meant to be applied to the everyday
practical matters affecting ordinary people, and if that idea is misunderstood,
well, any knowledge no matter how impressive becomes just a trophy on the
wall, and therefore useless  really to all concerned in the long run.

I think it all goes back to our tendency as a people to hoard ideas, to keep
it secret and hidden from the next person so they do not sabotage us, and to
view any suggestions of improvements upon them as akin to relinquinshing our
title to it.
It is hard for good ideas to be born and improved upon in such a setting.

I think that in general, we as a people are not well skilled in the art of
communicating with each other and accepting information from each other,
especially if that information is a criticism or even a simple suggestion. The
problem that arises for us then is that since possesing  and utilizing these skills
are the foundation for buiding a society where  our needs are identified and
acted upon  for the benefit of all, we find ourselves at a standstill no matter
how lofty our intentions.

If we are frank with each other, that becomes viewed as malice and a
perceived enmity arises. We hoard ideas and suggestions to improve upon good ideas are
viewed as threats Every comment or suggestion is seen as a personal affront,
an attempt to somehow undermine.
I have to confess that after having spent the better part of my life outside
Gambian society, I get into a lot of trouble because I tend to forget this
flaw we have before I open my mouth to say something.
However, this internet medium certainly offers us a wonderful opportunity to
address each other, and if we are open to it, it can certainly also help us to
learn that it is through discussion, frankness and the ability to accept
criticism as a tool to improve ourselves that we can become effective in building
a better society for all.

Jabou Joh

n a message dated 10/15/03 5:07:37 PM Central Daylight Time,