GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 02:24:26 GMT
Hamjatta,

The AIDS pandemic was an accident waiting to happen. Like on every other
issue, we Africans HAVE TO BE the last to wake up and do the right thing.
Instead of investing in the cheapest form of defence against the disease -
educating the public, the so-called leaders are spending public money on
arms, or other totally useless projects. Look at how the public media is
being used in Gambia. Instead of the ridiculous "let's praise Allah that we
have 'prophet' Yaya as president" themes they put out on both Radio Gambia
and the TV station daily, many lives could and would be saved if they are to
aggressively embark on an AIDS education campaign. This clearly isn't the
case down there. I personally know of ten people who have been killed by
this disease in the last four years. Sadly, that tragedy is bound to
continue. Given polygamy, loose sexual behaviors, and sheer foolishness,
we're sure to loose a very large segment of our population to this terrible
disease. The sooner Tombong as manager of the public media in Gambia musters
the courage to invite creative people to start life-saving programs, the
better off we'll all be. Barring that, we'll just have to accelerate our
appeals to those we know. There's not much else one can do, because our
Dictator has a more important thing to worry about: turning his native
hamlet into a world-class town complete with mansions, 24hrs power and water
supplies, and a hotel. All that while most people can't even afford headache
tabs at the hospital. Great Leader this boy really is!

Saul.