GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:59:31 -0700
Dear all,

Like a lot of you, I am very apprehensive of the next few days, in light of reports
of violence in the days leading to tomorrow's (Oct. 18) presidential elections.  They
say it's better late than never, and so I thought I should share my concerns, hopes,
and prayers with you.

Judging from the traffic on Gambia-L, and reports from The Gambia, we've had a very
lively, rowdy, and at times disturbing campaign.  Fortunately, the campaigning has
officially ended (save reports of continued partisan broadcasts by President Jammeh
on GRTS TV).  It is most unfortunate that the campaign saw the death of at least one
opposition activist, and the injury of a number of others.  May the soul of the
deceased rest in perfect peace, and like all, I would like to express my condolences
to the family of the deceased.  And to those who sustained injuries in the campaign,
I wish them a speedy recovery.

Come election-day, and in the aftermath of the declaration of final results, I would
like to appeal to all in The Gambia to refrain from violence.  The fact of the matter
is that whoever wins the election, the lot of many a Gambian will always be the same.
For this reason, there is no point in anyone engaging in violence on behalf of any
one party or candidate.  At the end of the day, the people you vote as your
representative or president will get into their official cars and drive-off, leaving
you in a trail of dust.

We should also remember that after all is said and done, we'll still have our
neighbors.  Thus, no matter who wins, your wives will meet each other at the market,
your husbands will meet at the mosques and churches, and your kids will all share the
same homework.  In short, common sense should dictate that in as much as tempers will
flare up, and passions get whipped-up, let us remember that we have but one country.
Furthermore, it is our responsibility to share it, and whatever it is that we wish
for it, with each and every other Gambian, whether or not we are of the same
political persuasion, religious belief, ethnic origin, age group, gender, village, or
whatever it is the devil in us makes us believe divides us.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again appeal to all religious leaders,
political leaders, and Gambian media outlets to join each other and call for peace in
our country.  I'm sure that many in The Gambia and abroad have been praying for peace
in the country, and continue to do so.  Please ask your followers, congregations,
relatives, friends, and all you know that they should re-double their prayers for
peace.  Also, in light of the fact that official campaigning is over, political
leaders should be provided access to radio and TV stations so they can encourage
their supporters to refrain from violence during and after the elections.  The
Gambian media, of course, have a special role to play in this regard, by virtue of
the fact that they not only have their finger on the pulse of the nation, they also
inform people, and provide them forums for dialog with each other.

May I also take this opportunity to thank the many people who have sent postings to
this list offering advice, information, and ideas about the elections.  The best
ideas only come out when we've heard all of them, and by contributing your thoughts,
you are not only enriching this medium and our lives, you are also keeping our hopes
high.  Speaking of which, it is my very high hope that the Gambian security forces
will heed the advice and appeals of many people who have called on them to excercise
restraint, and refrain from shooting un-armed civilians, even if it means going
against orders from your higher-ups.  In the end, even those who parade themselves as
the ultimate higher-ups will have to answer to an even higher Up, to Whom we all pray
that Gambia and all in it knows peace, whoever it is that wins the coming elections.

Thanks so much for reading this this far.  Have a great and safe weekend, and best
wishes.

Katim