GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa-Pierre Gomez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:40:12 -0700

Jammeh's coming to power in 1994 was momenteous. It stimulated friends and foes alike to stand down and watch events from the sidelines. We cheered the young man and everyone else wearing the camouflage. I remembered the Friday of July 22, 1994 very well. I positioned myself at the center of events, at the nucleus of it all, Westfield Junction. At around 1pm, me and my boys around Westfield junction did the unthinkable. We flagged the only parading military pick-up right in front of Hitachi electronic store. There were about 10 soldiers on the pick-up, all armed to the teeth. They stopped and asked why we flagged them down. About 12 of us, responded in unisom. "We need uniforms and weapons to help". One who appeared to be their senior responded, "Don't worry because things are under full control. Just remain calm" We proceeded to hail them and they nicely thanked us and sped off towards Denton Bridge. (On a personal note, if you were among the soldiers on that pick-up that we stopped at Westfield, please contact me Sir for a refresing of memories.)

Later that day, it was a another magic moment for me. A former high school classmate of mine was brought to man the Westfield Junction post. I could not beleave it because it was more 5 years since we last met. For a while, it seems like a dream. But shaking hands was enough to feel that i was not in a dream world.

By now, you could imagine how popupar Jammeh was. All what people wanted was a new beginning. WE wanted Jammeh to take the lead, set the language, the tone and the pace and we will joyfully match along willingly. But Jammeh quickly began to falter. His delusions began to conquer him. The very people that supported him are marginalised and he is walloping with an astronomical speed into imbecility.

Today, i recount the deaths of Koro Ceesay and Dedya Hydra with utter dismay. What about the journalists like Chief Manneh. Does he deserve this. Did he point a gun at Jammeh. Who is taking care of Manneh's family. How would Yaya feel if we snatch his mom or child away for this long? Think about it. Put yourself in the shoes of Manneh's family or that of Hydra's. People ought not to die because we disagree with them. Mr Jammeh, the tone and the language you set, may be the kind of tone that will pester you at your downfall. You had many opportunities to change course, but you blew it all.  And now it is becoming increasingly clear why you will never leave the seat of power at your own will. Because a lot of people are waiting to inflict the same or greater pain that he had caused them or their relations.

Pa-PG