GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:23:07 +0100
Lamin Manneh PF

I have to agree with you on this issue. With only few
months to ago Mr Sherriff Dibba and others  should
start asking themselves whether their decision not to
join forces with the Opposition Coalition is in the
nation's interest. You are right to say that Sherrif
Dibba kept quiet for 7 years  and just started
speaking up  recently. The sad thing about the whole
issue is that his latest outburst is primarily
focussed on the UDP/PPP coalition. I doubt what he
intends to benefit from this strategy. A man of such
political experience, should have played the
Statesman's type politics and consider Ousainou Darboe
as an Independent Person and not a Political pawn of
the PPP. Lets face it Ousainou Darboe was closely
associated with NCP during the First Republic, He was
their legal adviser, as he represented them in all
their law suits against the PPP regime-The Trial of
Sherriff Dibba in 1982, The 1987 General Election
Petition Cases. The 1992 General Election Petition
Cases and other miscellaneous cases. Judging from
these, one could honestly say Ousainou Darboe was
destined to be the first Attorney General and Minister
of Justice under a NCP regime. Unfortunately NCP were
denied that opportunity when Yahya toppled the PPP
regime in 1994 TOGETHER with the introduction of
Decree 89 in August 1996.

The only way forward is for the likes of Dibba,OJ and
all the unbanned politicians to come together as BORN
AGAIN POLITICIANS and forget about their grievances.
If SM Dibba could contemplate forming alliance with
the PPP in 1991 how about now? What is so special
about the leadership of the Coalition ? Why can't he
accept Darboe as leader for the opposition alliance?.

It is therefore on those basis that we  should
continue campaign for a united opposition as Gambians
are desperate for change,

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

Kelvin, We all know that SM is a respectable and

=== message truncated ===