GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:12:53 EDT
The POINT have again shown what journalism is all about. It has objectively
reported what the students are actually saying and not what any government
agency dare to say. The facts are coming.
                                  Students Narrate Their Ordeal

 Students, mainly girls, of the GTTI have said that they were attacked and
brutalised at the institute. The late Omar Barrow was also heard live
reporting on the treatment meted out to the students on that bloody Monday.

Some girls have contacted this paper to narrate their ordeal.

Ms. E.T. explained that following some plea from their teachers, they decided
to postpone their demonstration and sit to the exam.

As they were in class, they suddenly saw the paramilitary personnel in the
classes, asking everyone out including lecturers.

"They even destroyed computers and other equipment in the school; the boys
were smarter than us and some of them escaped by jumping the fence."

A.C. said: "we were seriously beaten at the quarters of the paramilitary in
Kanifing. They used their batons, gun butts and shoes."

Another girl, E.S. also maintained that she was beaten. She explained that
they were in the typing lab when they saw the paras at the door. "They
ordered us out and assaulted us, with some of our lecturers, who ran away and
left us there at their mercy.

We were taken to the Kanifing headquarters and treated like beasts."

  S.G. also confirmed the use of force on her as was the case with the other
girls. "The Gambian defence forces have no respect for the girl-child.
Following our mistreatment, we were filmed and our names were taken," S.G.
further explained.

The girls also claimed that they received so much beating, their buttocks got
sore and swollen.

On how they were freed, they said it happened when the students attacked the
headquarters with stones and the paras started to open fire on the attackers.
"In the confusion that ensued, we ran to some compounds nearby and changed
clothes."

Asked whether they sought medical assistance, they said they are terrified
and are still under severe shock.

Another student, S.O. also claimed that he was beaten at the Brikama police
station. He explained that he was on board a transport when police officers
and former members of July 22 Movement ordered him to come down.

He was arrested when he displayed his student ID, and was taken to the police
station where she met other students. They were all severely beaten, he said.