GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:14:08 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/00 10:37:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> f the boxes were
>  tampered with by unknown individuals this will be detected immediately by
>  counting agents and PIEC official because the seals will be broken or the
>  numbers will defer. Remember these seals were manufactured in Canada and
had
>  serial numbers known only to the polling agents and presiding officer.(NB

This  is not fraud prove. I remember during the referendum we had the same
make of seals. These materials [seals] are prone to breaking during
transportation
from polling stations to counting centers. The P.I.E.C even went to the
extent of
proving forms to record any such incident. Therefore Mr. manneh's assertion
that
this mechanism could be in any way a deterrent to rigging wouldn't stand
the test of time.iam not in anyway or by any means trying to diminish the
diligence of  the P.I.E.C. Like  Mr. manneh I worked for this organization
up
until after the referendum. I have witness events during the referendum which
if
allowed during the subsequent elections could alter the results altogether.

I served as a senior registration officer in L.R.D and later as an assistant
returning officer in the same locality during the referendum. As an assistant
returning officer in charge of twelve polling stations ...you would expect me
to be in charge of the ballot boxes until they are counted per P.I.E.C
regulations.but this was not the case.As soon as I collected all the ballot
boxes from the various polling stations I was asked by the officer commanding
mansakonko...
one Mr. Mbaye [if my memory serve me right] to leave the premises. I tried to
resist
but had to give in since my fellow AROs are heeding his command. His
explanation for this actions is that...those are orders from headquarters. He
refused to relent
even after the P.I.E.C commissioner for L.R.D intervened.

I was awakened from bed three hours later to come and witness the counting
of votes. This was not an easy task since the presiding officers and there
staff
[the people on the ground were not allowed to attend].Most of the tamper prove
seals were broken during transportation
Heated debates ensued since my colleagues
and I..after been sent away were asked to explain the discrepancies in the
token
counts in contrast to the amount given out to each polling station. In the
whole
of Jarra west only one polling stations vote count equal the amount of token
given
out to the officials...thats was the station in Kani kunda.Mr Roberts infact
refused
to announce the results for most of L.R.D  for  almost four hours due to
numerous
discrepancies we encountered in tallying tokens assigned and tokens we
finally have
at counting. he finally announced the results....the common guy on the street
would
have no knowledge of these discrepancies.
i was not in the country during the subsequent election, but my gut feeling
is..
if the above scenario was evident then rigging the elections would be a piece
of cake for anybody in charge of the state machinery.

looking forward to hear your comments on this one.
Regards,
ousman