GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:58:21 -0400
There is something about him that can make some folks very agitated, and
others do have a negative view about this ENIGMA. Frankly, I have no
business writing whole lots about Waa because most of the opinion is
base on other people’s comments, and every now and then views he puts
across in the newspapers. Although, his recent comments and the
follow-up arrest has made me so upset that with impotence to the fact
that I cannot do a whole lot, I decide to revisit my perception of this
Man.

The first time I heard about Waa was in the 1976/1977 General election.
I was just a boy and did not understand politics at all, but within our
family circle, the race at Sabach Sanjal constituency between Waa and
Saihou Sabally was a big deal. One of my brothers was the main backer of
Saihou and with his help, Saihou defeated Waa by a whisker. This
particular race also had some interesting jockeying within the family,
the family was known to be strong opposition—P.S. Njie supporters, and
this brought some family feud because most wanted to see Saihou
defeated. Obviously, my brother was always preaching the blood is
thicker than water doctrinaire. After the election, my brother was
compensated as a nominated Member of Parliament for protecting the
Sabach Sanjal Seat in the PPP column.

Apart, from this family involvement with a race that Waa was in, the
next opportunity was rather recent when we invited Waa to the July
fourth symposium in Atlanta. I was fortunate to be the point person who
contacted him and had series of conversation with him on the telephone.
He came across very articulate and not afraid to speak his mind. At the
symposium, we were not the least disappointed; he did not need a
prepared text to tell his story. He spoke from the hearth and passion
was wrapped all over it.

Just recently I could not understand Waa’ reaction to our attempt to
forge coalition. I have indicated then, charged Waa of his narrow view
of what this coalition was about, and accused him of personalizing the
effort. After reading his take on the coalition effort, I kept saying
could this man understand that he is helping the enemy. Now I think I
have a new take on this enigma of a politician. While most politicians
are always very strategically conscious of their pronouncements, Waa is
driven by his political beliefs and principles even if it helps his
adversaries. The “enemy of my enemy is my friend” principle does not
work with Waa. When he broke rank with UDP, it was obvious to every
opposition person that the whole situation played well into the hands of
the APRC. To Waa, let the chips fall or a take a back seat to his belief
and passion for the restoration democracy to the Gambia. When he danced
around attacking the whole coalition effort, it was obvious that the
government and APRC supporters loved it. At first, I could only see that
maybe this guy is selfish, but now I know that was only a simplistic
conclusion base on my own frustration. His latest pronouncement, to me
dismisses the selfish tag and reaffirms the gut politics of this enigma.
Waa’s belief, in my point of view is that the only way to restore
democracy in the Gambia is to take our country back from this people. He
will do anything according to the law to achieve that. I have heard the
man in Atlanta, categorically stated that he is not interested in any
kind of coup. This whole made up sedition charge is a move made by a
desperate government who is very afraid of what Waa Juwara had said.
That should be the cue to all the Alternative leaders, there is
something that they are afraid of with Waa’s pronouncements.

This is a man who has been subjected to torture, humiliation, and not to
mention depriving him of any opportunity to the national cake, but he
still refused to capitulate. He is a man that always speaks from the
hearth with passion even if it seems to benefit his enemies. I admire
him as a human being and respect his commitment to his beliefs. I will
continue to question his politics, but I know he is more of a man that I
can ever be. Waa is a good Gambian.

Thanks

Musa Jeng