GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:43:58 +0000
My brother Pierre,
You are certain that the word extremist is not part of my vocabulary, and I
cannot be expected to use it on anyone in view of where I'm comming from. I
still insist that I agree with some of your points but I must also point out
that I am amazed at your attempt to have us concentrate on only the cultural
factors and completely dismiss the political and economic ones. In view of
your credible standing as a student of history and development, to put it
mildly, your act is outrageous.
If you care to look at the relationship between big and small countries, you
will realise that in the majority of cases, the latter regard the former
just as you see our Senegalese neighbours. Go anywhere in the Gambia and try
to find out how those from small villages regard their neighbours from big
villages,your findings will have similarities with your perception of our
Senegalese neighbours. But we are Gambians and we have always insisted that
" when the donkey kicks you, and you turn around and kick the donkey,then
you are also a donkey." While we are proud of what we are, we should always
be prepared to accept others on the basis of what they are. Let me quickly
add that I am not in for accepting insults all the time, but certainly we
can disregard those insults which emanate from frivolity and ignorance.Be
aware my dear brother and friend, that our might is not in the size of our
country,but in the great ideas we generate in our unique interactions.I rest
my case with a line from the song "MANDALI" by the great Super Eagles of the
Gambia (and West Africa):
      GEEFGEE DU DOOLEY: HELL-LA!
God bless us and may the forces of justice and peace triumph, Ameen.
Omar.