GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:53:26 -0500
Sheikh Tejan,
I am back in Abidjan and thank you, once again, for the support extended to
me during my visit. I wish you every success in this year's Award Ceremony
in recognition of those dedicated Gambian entrepreneurs who continue to
have faith in Gambian Tourism despite the steady decline in the comparative
advantage the sector used to enjoy. Senegal, Ghana and even Cote d'Ivoire
(prior to the political instability in recent months) are hot on the heels
of the Gambia and may have overtaken us in certain respects.  It takes
dedicated and indigenous entrepreneurs like yourself, the Fama Njies, the
Batch Fayes, the Laye Mboges, the Sambous and the Mr Njie's of Bakadagi
Hotel to resuscitate and revitalise a sector in real trouble. Those of us
on the other side will assist in this endeavor. Personally, I expect to see
some innovative ideas coming from Bai Ousman Secka in his capacity as
Permanent Secretary provided he receives the requisite support from all
quarters.  I wish you all the best.

Allow me to express publicly my sincere appreciation and gratitude to Fama
Njie and Batch Fye for putting at my disposal a bus each-GRATIS-to
transport those without the means to and from the Jeshwang cemetery during
my mother's funeral. To George Christensen and Baboucarr Gaye for
announcing the obituary more than the standard norm-also GRATIS. George
does it as community service "sans" charge. To "Jemmy" Sandigie Njie and
Ramou Sarge, only Allah can repay your kind and sincere deeds. To the
thousands who attended the funeral and/or stopped by Llewelyn Street or
Bakau, I say thank you and God Bless. To "little" Mams (Central Bank)and
Sariang, "Al Nimbara." I have commenced sending individual messages
of "thank yous" on behalf of my family to the numerous condolences I
received. Please forgive me if I should miss out on a few due to the sheer
volume of mail. May "Ya Boye's" soul rest in perfect peace.

To Maila Touray, I am sending you privately and shortly the telephone
numbers you requested.

Sidi Sanneh