GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Last-Card <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:33:57 -0700
Cynthia thats ok you are welcome.Well as one of the writers on line just intimated....that, this could happen to anyone anywhere is a fact.Thinking about the Elnino Effect cum Global warming-the threat posed by coastal erosions and the like makes me shiver when I recall the wild waves near near radio syd or the Banjul cemetary.

Coastal erosion is indeed one of the most dangerous threats humanity is facing these days. Formally likewise in the present it is/was widely believed in The Gambia that Sand Mining is one of the factors to be challenged as far as protecting our coast line is concerned.This no doubt is "minute" if and when compared to hurricanes,typhoons and the like.Well recently heavy rains caused flooding in Basse.This means the same trend took place there at a lower scale though.Now what would happen if a strong gale hits Banjul while accompanied by very rain? The swamps between bond road and the Jeshwangs are forgotten "danger zones" in cases like that.One never knows where water and wind will form a team to destroy other natural "pictures" on earth.This a cause of concern that is in all honesty apolitical, as far as exchanging views and methods are concerned.I would never hesitate working with an opponent thus help a community, as far as protecting our coast line is concerned.This has no
 political bearing in my mind.

This is something that Gambians should start contemplating on and then standby in case.The effects of global warming and such natural calamities do not have boundaries.They hit anywhere at anytime.Katrina's case is a bright example.The whole world was taken by surprise when the strong  Tsunami waves hit the shores of Indonesia etc. Now Katrina! Why not scienctific methods overule or precede politics for a while? The world should work as one team in this because this is a natural phenomenon that has loaded a gun ready to hit any place at anytime. It becomes a nightmare in my mind when I think about or imagine this happening in our part of the world.From Cap Verd of Dakar to the shores of Bissau,Sieraleone.These  are all vulnerable zones in a case like this one.Why not our people,govs,researchers etc etc start thinking about this before it strikes-GOD FORBID.

If highly developed countries like the USA can be taken by surprise and then face this as a serious challenge,how about those of us who always resort to these countries when we are hit by things like crop failures and locausts?

This one is more serious and faster as far as the level of destruction is concerned.

Its an opinion that I wanted to throw on line while am at the same time discussing it off line some where else.Banjul has to start thinking about such eventualities,it is a natural fact that cannot be "massaged" by endless blame games. Science has a big role to play on this one.Exchanging methods,approaches,and anything that can help fight these natural disasters is a challenge before humanity.We have been polluting the ozone layer too therefore why not think about that alongside?

Alu.