GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 18:17:47 -0500
Sharing a conversation about the planned conference in Atlanta:

A concern Gambian: It is very apparent to me, although most Gambians will be attending this conference, there is a group of people that really believe that the whole conference issue is a waste of their time. You will hear things like this from them: “look I am not interested in politics, and I have better things to do like taking care of my family than wasting my time, in this country (USA) no one has time for such foolishness.”

Organizers: well, I can understand how they come to that conclusion, and certainly taking care of their families is very important. Most of us are not also into this because we are politicians per se, but it is important to pay attention to the voiceless. Mama Jorbateh, a widow with four children in Dankunku village, with absolutely no income, or any form of healthcare, no serious education for her children and complete hopelessness to her future and the future of her children. How about, Sohna faye a pregnant woman at Njau, who had to ride on a donkey cart for miles to end up losing her child at birth, and almost lost her own life. How about Famara Sidebeh at Faraba Banta, a farmer who has not been able to take care of his large family of three wives and nine children. Groundnut farming has been his only income for the past decade, and he has been struggling to even feed his family, not to mention clothing, education or healthcare. These voiceless are the norm in the lives of the average Gambians.  It just happen that we are the lucky ones that made the trip across the Atlantic, but to think that trying to find solution by launching an effort is a waste of time, I would really have to disagree.

Clearly, somehow these voiceless and faceless got lost in the debate, and as Gambins living in the Diaspora, we are very much aware of these realities back home. All of us in our own way are helping our families, but let us not ignore that there is lot more we can do together to contribute in a much more meaningful and effective way. For the past four to five years, these cyber mediums have facilitated us to participate in talking about the problems back home, and we will continue to do that, thanks to the Gambiapost and the Gambia-l. But, it is well overdue for us to organize and join hands and contribute to do something to the problems faced by our country folks and their families.

This planned conference is just an effort to build a force among Gambians living in the Diaspora, to contribute in a meaningful and effective way to the future of our country. Whether, safeguarding our democracy and rule of law, or to building an economy, education and reasonable healthcare for all our people, these are efforts worth fighting for.  Remember these are the very things that we sought to enjoy in the Diaspora. Please tell your friends, we are not necessarily politicians, or anti-anybody, but just trying to do something and hoping to make a difference in the lives of our people.

Thanks

Note: the conference will be held in Atlanta, Georgia, Morehouse College, February 21, 2004 at 12.00 PM. Part of the activities to celebrate our National day.
Stay tuned for the Conference Agenda and other pertinent information
Thanks
Save the Gambia Democracy project.