GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:42:57 -0400
Please read the comment below.  How does this rub you?  If the comment
upsets you, what would be a positive/beneficial expression of that
emotion?  There is an academic achievement gap, which may lead to
opportunity and earning gaps, which will keep the poverty/poor
performance wheel ever strong, the disparities and disparate treatments
ever alive, providing succor to commentators such as the one below.  So,
what can you do, what will you do, what are you doing to support and
help improve a student's sense of self, a student's academic/athletic
performance, etc.?
Black, in this commentary, represents anyone who is not Asian and anyone
who is not White, referring, therefore, to a very large student
population in our school system.  , and students of color do lag behind
and the adage "it takes a village", if we act in concert, will further
rubbish these ramblings.
Soffie
 Comments From GreatSchools.net Users
06/26/2007:
"I fail to see how diversity will help my children at school. The goals
set by NCLB have damaged our schools, are un-attainable and serve only
to detract from the efficiency of our public schools.Teachers abandon
the regular curriculum out of a rabid fear that they will be judged
based on poor student performance on standardized tests(FCAT).The entire
first semester is wasted trying to prepare for these tests, all in the
name of closing the achievement gap, which cannot be done.The ugly truth
is that minority students(particularly blacks)will never perform at the
same level as whites and asians.They simply lack the capacity, and no
amount of wishful thinking will change that fact.The worst thing to ever
happen to our educational system was the desegregation of public
schools...period.There are two standards of intellect and there should
be two standards of public education, instead of an over-all
dumbification designed to level the field, as opposed to raising the bar
in sear! ch of excellence."

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい