GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 08:51:26 EDT
As Mr. Bah mentioned earlier about the impressive rally the Gambian New York
resident staged on the issue of Jammeh excessive use of power, and his
continued insult to our
intelligence by covering it up with religious literate and development.
   The meeting was attended by Gambians, supporters of Gambia, friends of
Gambia from the tri-state area and the Afro-American community. The Theme of
the meeting is the Restoration of democracy in the Gambia. The common
criminal Jammeh's government.
    Gambians spoke wholeheartedly about their distress with the current
regime and its various human rights abuses, the abuse of power and its power
base. The one thing we all agreed on is that we must continue to fight this
regime by any means necessary without the use of force. This objective will
be conducted by doing the following..

  1.   Demonstrating in front on the UN building and other organizations that
do business with Gambia.
  2.   Letter writing drive to organizations, interest groups and individuals
  3.   Fundraising campaign
  4.   Meetings, focus groups and wrap sessions
  5.   Radio and TV appearances

The first demonstration will held in front of the UN building in New York on
May 2, 2000. Any Gambia that can come in and support us out here must do so.
We need full participation. We want to send a message to Gambia that we do
not condone this type of barbaric government. We do not accept governing by
fear and intimidation. We do not accept abuse of power. The demonstration
will be at 7am sharp.

"We will not be free until every Gambian has their freedom" We must
simultaneously pursue all the objectives being offered to from New York and
Washington, DC. Then we must look into a consolidated movement whose
principle objective will be to form a coalition for the restoration of
democracy in the Gambia. There are many satellite Gambian groups emerging
from different areas of the globe. We must not limit the struggle to only
cover the student massacre; we must forge an alliance for the ultimately
taking over the parliament and subsequently the presidency.
     The only way that we can stop this abyss is by removing the Jammeh
government. We must do this through a democratic process. Peace for our
people all the way revealing all iota of truth.
Keep the struggle on. Keep fighting for peace.
Thank You.
Matarr Sajaw.
Keep pressing on.