GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:20:18 EDT
This is from the Guardian.

Annan sets out UN targets

Secretary general calls for overhaul of 'antiquated' security council

Ewen MacAskill, Diplomatic editor
Tuesday April 4, 2000

The secretary general of the United Nations, Kofi Annan, set targets for the
organisation for the 21st century yesterday in a wide-ranging speech in which
he also called for the reform of the antiquated security council, on which
Britain has a permanent seat.
His 56-page speech, described by UN officials as the most important he has
made, was to prepare the ground for a special UN millennium conference in New
York from September 6 to 8 which he hopes will provide a platform for
fundamental reforms.

He said the composition of the security council, on which Britain, France,
the United States, Russia and China have permanent seats and vetoes, was
based on the distribution of power and alignments in 1945 and "does not fully
represent ei ther the character or the needs of our globalised world".

He said: "The council must work effectively, but it must also enjoy
unquestioned legitimacy. Those two criteria define the space within which a
solution must be found. I urge member states to tackle this challenge without
delay."

The Foreign Office position is that it is prepared to accept reform but the
problem is complex, with questions such as whether the European Union should
have a seat and which countries would be chosen to represent Africa and Latin
America. It is also to be decided whether the permanent members should retain
a veto.

The UN millennium meeting could turn out to be the biggest ever meeting of
government leaders: between 130 and 150 are expected to attend.

One of the main themes of Mr Annan's speech was to achieve a target of
lifting 1bn people out of extreme poverty by 2015.

Education was a key element in achieving this. He said: "I urge the
millennium summit to endorse the objectives of demonstrably narrowing the
gender gap in primary and secondary education by 2005 and of ensuring that by
2015 all children complete a full course of primary education."

He hoped that by the same date the HIV/Aids epidemic would be halted, and the
percentage of people without access to safe water would be cut in half.

With the world being transformed by a global economy and instant
communications, Mr Annan said, "the central challenge we face today is to
ensure that globalisation becomes a positive force for all the world's
people, instead of leaving billions of them behind in squalor".

Calling extreme poverty "an affront to our common humanity", he said that
nearly half the world's 6bn people were now living on less than $2 a day, and
about 1.2bn were struggling on less than $1 a day - including 500m in south
Asia and 300m in Africa.

He announced four new UN initiatives: to provide 10,000 hospitals and clinics
in developing countries with access to up-to-date medical information; to
have hi-tech volunteers give computer training to groups in developing
countries; to provide mobile and satellite telephones for relief workers in
disaster areas; and to explore new approaches to the problem of youth
unemployment.

  Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2000

hkanteh