GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
landing sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:22:46 +0200
Mr Mballow,
               I thank you for your response on my reflection on your UNITY CALL,and being distracted by your response i would still refer you to my previous writting for a fair treatment of my questions,doubts,observations and proposals.Nevertheless,i would respond to your recent posting, which to my opinion is diffuse and distracts us from  the nucleous of the subject matter :    CALL   FOR UNITY.
                 To be candid with you,your first paragraph up to the naming of Mandela,N'krumah and W.E.B Dubois is not comprehended and i defer from commenting on it.
           You wrote:"I believed unity is guided by the values/degree of sacrifice.Unless we sacrifice our grievances for national unity,there cannot be any meningful political progress in the Gambia".
           The question now arises-what is meant by national unity in the contest of our discussion, does National unity mean uniting U.D.P,N.R.P and P.D.O.I.S,only to exclude A.P.R.C?Are members of the A.P.R.C not citizens?How can we forge a national unity only to exclude a cross section of Gambian citizens?What type of national unity is that and in whose interest?You see my brother,every situation and circumstance demands it's own way of dealing with it,and so are the words and rethorics we use to bring forward our calls.National unity is not what is in focus in our discussion,but a coalition of opposition parties for a specific objective.Refering you to my previous posting,the question of what comes next immidiately comes in focus and needs to be answered by you,before we can move forward.Are we going to move two steps forward only to move one step backward?Is this a positive developmental pattern or receipt for any nation?You can please expand on this idea and line of thought.Unity at what cost?Are we to unite only to later disintegrate?What is going to be the bases of the unity and prerequisite for patnership?what are the conditionalities that would ensure a trustworthy and strong coalition?All these are points you need to expand on.I don't think this call is what is urgent in the Gambia today.It can end up doing more harm than good.
       Mr Mballow,you began your forth paragraph with these words."All of us know that our country is small to fight ourselves".That's right my brother and i am begging you to educate the A.P.R.C and U.D.P on that.They are the parties that are bent on dividing the people in persuit of their political ego,stagnating the progressive attempt of nation builing.After thirty years or so of the Gambia's independence,we are still unable to build a nation free from tribal or ethnic group inclanation.The P.P.P did it to fool the Mandingo speaking people and established herself and the U.D.P,N.R.Pand the A,P,R.C are indulging into the same dirty card game.This is one of the problems of our nation state and how to reverse it is everybodies duty.Our Political  parties should lead with exemplary character,to free the minds of the people from such social odds and take up issues of national relevances with them.If you deny opposing Jammeh because he is a Jola ,educate Lamin Waa Juwara and the like to  withdraw their publicly known statements and desist from the politics of national disintegration.My point on the formation of new parties is totally misconcieved by you and i wish to refer you to my previous posting.
       Mr Mballow wrote in connection to my point concerning the formation of new parties as thus:"No body owns the people therefore,they will choose to do what ever they feel like is good for them".Well Mr Mballow,this is what democracy is all about.It is one of the fundamental pillars of democracy,which all those who see themselves as genuine democrats must cherish.We must live to respect the will of the people.I would like to in conjunction to this piecemeal,leave a message to fellow citizens on the NET.Under whatever circumstances,we must cherish democratic principles as a guide to our National goal.We must respect the will of the majority of the Gambian people and try to enlighten them on their choice to effect a better change.We cannot go to teach our people hatred and violence just to get to the political office.As Mr Mballow rightly mentioned himself,all we need today is political tolerant,political development and peace,and i would add that everything else will follow suit.
        Mr Mballow,your reservation on some of my points raised concerning Notorious Jawara and the PPP,Notorious Jammeh and the APRC,UDP and NRP could be fatal to the subject under discussion.It is important to treat it well,as it could be a bases for a meaningful unity.
        You mentioned in your reply:"For the UDP party to keep up the momentum of political education and mobilization the party is under obligation to meet the people countrywide and discuss with them their matters of concern".This statement of yours in my humble opinion should have been written as thus:For the U.D.P party to keep the momentum of political distabilisation,disorientation and to induce violence in the people,the party is under obligation to meet the people countrywide and discuss tribalism and hatred for the Jola speaking people.
         Mr Mballow,for a party to bear the name democratic does not necessarily make it democratic,and as such to my believe the name of the U.D.P does not correspond to her actions and that makes her even more unreliable.This is my humble opinion on U.D.P .
          I am stopping here until i hear from you and i am sorry if i sound provocative at any stage of my response.
        Greetings to everybody out there and don't give up the fight.

Praises are due to our ancestors!!
Landing Alkalo Sanyang.