GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:07:03 EDT
Hamjatta/Karamba, you have analyzed the situation really well and I thank
you for your suggestions to political parties in The Gambia. The situation
is deteriorating by the day. And we have no one to blame for that but Yaya
and his supporters. These people are not interested in peace and democracy.
In what democracy would you have such an inflammatory letter as the one
Sankung wrote to Darboe? To make matters worst, there were reports in
Gambian newspapers that APRC supporters went to a parade with Yaya and held
banners chanting that there should be no elections for Yaya. What does this
mean? Ousainou Darboe was trying to paint a favorable picture about those
statements by saying that maybe Yaya supporters just meant that they want
another presidential candidate. As you can see, this is a very optimistic
interpretation (to say the least). The more logical and alarming conclusion
is that these Yaya supporters do not even want an election. They want to
ordain Yaya as president for life. These vermin know that their candidate
would lose in any fairly contested elections. What do they do? They try to
make sure that there is no elections. So do not just discard Karamba's
assertions that these people want a legalized dictatorship in The Gambia by
creating chaos in the country and then declaring a state of emergency. If
they fail in that endeavor, they will try to rig the elections. We must not
allow them to do that. Hamjatta, together with your brilliant suggestions, I
would also add that this time around, opposition parties should not be lured
into participating in a bogus elections. If the deck is stacked against
them, they should boycott the elections. That is of course if we have
elections. My sense is, the Gambian people will get rid of Yaya before the
next elections. Am very confident about that. We will prevail. Just check
the people that have ran away from G_L since the massacre. Who are the
people that cannot stand the heat and left the kitchen? Who are the people
that threatened to join us on G_L and never showed up? Who are the people
that lurk in the dungeons of G_L looking for critical postings but do not
have the guts to come into the open and argue their positions? These are
signs of people that recognize their impending and inevitable demise and are
now engaged in damage control. G_L is a very small but significant example.
These cowards will run away from us anywhere we meet them. That  is their
nature. We will expose their cowardice one final time, very soon. Let us all
just resolve that each time we engage them, they will be the first to blink.
KB