GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousainou Ngum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:16:15 -0700
Way to go, Hamadi:

    This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth! You have just hit the
nail in the head. I'm not downplaying the severity of the Jammeh Admin's
human rights abuses. The fact of the matter is what you have just rightly
pointed out: that Jawara was also not a human rights champion as opposed to
"popular belief". What thrills me in your observations is simply your
integrity.

    It is a fact that we live in a Gambia today, where such vices are
rampant; this is however not reasonable enough to not acknowledge what
Jawara and his cronies did to The Gamabia and Gambians. There was very
limited freedom of speech and (or) association, as right asserted earlier.
The NIA has come only to replace the NSS, with the same ruthless and
opportunistic Director General, Kebba Ceesay, subordinated by the same thugs
in the likes of Foday Barry and co. Just ask Dumo Sarho or anyone close to
him. What we are seeing in today's Gambia was bred by Jawara and his men.
Did we forget  about Police Officers being publicly assaulted and (or)
harassed by "The Big Men" for simply carrying out their duties? Or have we
come to forget about the phrase "Ham Nga Mai Kan?" Such injustices were very
common. We have simply become victims of Jawara's creations.

    I have always longed to see this moment, when some honest person(s) will
just acknowledge the maladministration of The Gambia under Jammeh without
trying to contrast his governance and that of Jawara's. We need to do away
with this kind of double standards. If Jawara's deeds were not human rights
abuses, then what do we call them? Lets start calling a spade a da** spade!
Again, Hamadi, thanx for your boldness and sound judgement.

   Ous Ngum.