GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:33:49 -0500
Jungle,
Thanks again for that fwd. This is one of the best speeches the
president have given recently. One could tell how sincere he is. He
doesn't enjoy firing secretaries of state. He clearly said the ones
that are fired were in some way dishonest. I have a very strong feeling
that he is well aware of the criticisms and he took them seriously. So
one might not agree with his actions, but why is it that the ones fired
NEVER came forward with their versions.
I will never support the president for indiscrimanatory firing cabinet
members, but I sure do subscribe to the firing of anyone who is unable
to deliver. He is very right by saying that if anyone cannot render
services to the nation which they are entrusted with, they have to go.
That is what national development is all anbout. It is not about riding
is expensive cars and travelling for hefty per diems.
The president takes his job very seriously when he made such a
statement. He is entrusted with running the government and he is very
right that he cannot do it alone. He is ready to do it with all the
Gambians and sure there are a lot of other Gambians who can serve. So
why should a few just take the national development hostage? And to
those who are victims of these firings, I am yet to hear from.These
allegations he made against them are very serious and if they are not
true, then those folks need to speak up. Untill then, I think the
president is very right to exercise his constitutional powers entrusted
in him.
There is so much double standard here when the president used such
powers. And I can never understand why. He is always to be blamed when
things do not go right, but when he takes actions to make them right,
he is to be blamed too. To those I say,As the Wolof saying goes, " a
knee must be bent or straightened". I hope I said it right.

Ousman Jallow Bojang