GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 05:23:54 PST
Thank you for the clarification,  now that it is confirmed that it has nothing
to do with Islam. Then we will revist the culture and tradition of where it
came from and why?
I also hope that the message will get home as well.

Until then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Struggle Continues!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

Momodou Jabang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Assalaamu alaikum Ndey,

Alhamdulillah and you wrote:

<<Take also our religion,Islam.If a woman died without being married,she
could not be buried in a proper muslim way,normally what is done is that
they
get some one who will marry her before the burial could take place.>>

I don't think there is any basis (proof from the Qur'aan and Sunnah) for the
above procedure for female burial rights in Islaam. Most likely, it is an
inovation, if at all it exists. I am not aware of any ruling or practice
from the the Prophet (SAW) or his companions and the pious predecessors that
sanctions the above statement.

I am not aware of any scholar who ruled from the Qur'aan and Sunnah that
someone could marry a dead person.

In fact eleven of the teachers of our great Shaickh, Ibn Taymiyya
(raheemahullah) were female, and according to a biographical account I read,
one of them died a virgin without ever getting married. She was accorded a
noble burial (about 700 years ago). So what you reported is most likely an
inovation and not a legitimate sanction in Islaam. Unfortunately, inovations
are rampant in the Muslim world today.

May Allah grant us with knowledge of the Deen. Allahumma salli wasallim ala
Nabiyyina Muhammad. Wasalaam.

Modou Mbye