GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Jeng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:01:25 -0400
The insanity continues in Banjul.  While Yaya blames the West for the brain
drain, his cronies continue to harass and intimidate independent minded
intellectuals and professionals.

Dr. Gaye is one of the most seasoned Gambian doctors at the RVH and foremost
in the treatment of diabetes.  A competent and dedicated practitioner, Dr.
Gaye's dedication to his patients is unparalleled.  At a time when diabetes
is rampant in our country, his expertise is invaluable.  His firing goes to
show that Yaya and his cronies are not interested in the welfare of our
people.  They lie about investments and developments in the health sector,
but they turn around and fire the doctors who are in the forefront of the
battle against diseases affecting our people.

This senseless state of affairs will soon be an event of the past.  It won't
be long now.

Culled from The Point Newspaper

Friday, August 10, 2001

  Dr.Alieu Gaye Fired As Staff Express Shock

Reliable and competent sources reaching the Point newspaper have intimated
that the former Director of Health Services, Dr. Alieu Gaye, who was the
head of the Medical Unit at the Royal Victoria hospital (RVH), has been
fired with effect from August 7, 2001. Dr. Gaye who received his marching
orders on Wednesday, August 8, was informed in a letter addressed to him by
the RVH Chief Executive, Dr. Mariatou Jallow, to the effect that his
services with the hospital had been terminated with immediate effect. As
usual, no reason has been advanced for Dr. Gaye's abrupt sacking. Informed
sources say the former health Director's sacking was greeted with shock by
the staff of the hospital. Dr. Gaye, who is described as a dynamic and hard-
working medical practitioner by his colleagues, would be missed by his
patients, particularly those suffering from diabetes.

"In fact his absence here had already created a vacuum. Since his sacking,
diabetes patients have been calling the hospital enquiring about Dr. Gaye's
whereabouts. This is a man who devoted all his life to attending patients.
Alieu, doesn't have time for his family or visitors when he is busy in the
wards. He gave priority to his patients," said a colleague of the sacked
doctor. In the course of investigating Dr. Gaye's sacking, I spoke to one of
the diabetes patients, who challenged the RVH authorities to explain the
circumstances that led to Dr. Gaye's removal. "We really want to know why he
is fired in the first place. This is a man who had been very helpful to us,
the diabetes patients. Alieu had never frowned his face to us. He is always
smiling when attending to us. This country had lost the services of a very
good and dedicated doctor. Now the question is, will the hospital get a
person of his calibre? enquired the diabetes patient.

When contacted to shed light on the story, the 44- year old doctor confirmed
his termination. "I just went to work on August 8 and I was called by my
Chief Executive, Dr. Mariatou Jallow, and she gave me my letter with tears
in eyes. She said she was not part of the game. She said that to me." Dr.
Gaye, who told the Point that he served the RVH for the past 17 years, said
he doesn't know the reason that might warrant his sacking. "Really, I do not
know why I am sacked. I gave quality services to every Gambian diligently. I
am a Gambian. I gave services to this country. I do not do anything wrong. I
don't think I have been treated fairly and I deserve an explanation, even
though I accepted the termination," said Dr. Gaye.

The Medical Doctor, who was informed by the RVH authorities that
arrangements would be made to pay his (Gaye's) terminal benefits, told the
Point "I am the only doctor who worked for 17 years in the hospital and I
have been asked to leave." Further quizzed what might have prompted his
unceremonious sacking, Dr. Gaye had this to say: "I hope you will give me an
answer one day. I really don't know. It is important to be given the reason,
for the benefit of my children and the next generation." When asked whether
he suspected any political reason for his dismissal, Dr. Gaye replied: "No
no, definitely not. I don't really think so. I am a professional. I was busy
attending to dying patients at the female medical ward, when I got a call
from Dr. Jallow to go and answer to her urgently." Meanwhile, Dr. Gaye said
the RVH authorities had taken the mobile phone they supplied him.

The former health director was redeployed to RVH in 1998 to head the medical
unit. He was immediately replaced by Dr. Yakunba Gassama, who is now the
current health Secretary. Contacted for comment, the RVH Chief Executive,
Dr. Jallow, said, "I am at a meeting. Could you please call me back later."
At press time, Dr. Jallow said she was still busy attending a meeting and it
was not possible to get her reaction.