GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:14:54 -0400
Mr. Sidibeh,
I do not think the election results will make any difference to my
"grand dream..". As far as I can tell (from party manifestos), none of
these parties are really dreaming "..put man on the moon.." kind of
dream when it comes to developing human resources in the Gambia. It had
been the mindset since Jawara days that, given the size of the economy,
one would be inviting trouble by expanding University education so
quickly. While much has changed since Jawara it does not look that
mindset is totally discarded.

I believe that our dependence on agriculture as the backbone of our
economic development has not worked and things ought to change. After
many years observing the Gambia, I have to come to conclude that our
best bet is to put our meager resources into the education basket. While
current the education policy of expanding basic education (girls
education in particular), and the university will go a long way to
change things, the scale and pace of things are not impressive. To
change things a big way we need not only dream big but act big when it
comes university education. Currently only 2 percent of our 15 to 24
year olds have post secondary education, despite 47% of them attaining
some level of secondary education. It means that remaining 45% (over
100,000) may leave school without any hope of continuing their education
or finding a better paying job given their level of preparation. Thus
the mass drift to Babilon. From what we know very few of these will go
back to the farm. Even in the first world, the educated youth leave the
countryside for the properous cities as soon as they complete basic
education cycle. Unfortunately basic cycle education is not sufficient
training thus the need for rapid expansion of the university program.
 From the current few hundred per year to 2500 in 2010 and 5000 per year
in 2015.

The funding, like any development project in the Gambia (agric or
telecoms or others) must come from external or internal borrowing. Some
ways to make it pay will be the government to go the extra mile and help
secure temporary work visa for graduands who serve 2 years in a
"national teaching corps" - Americorps kind of sheme. In addition,
temporary workers will be required to pay a percentage of their earnings
to the Gambian people. An added benefit of working temporarily working
abroad is they earn a few Euros for themselves and most important of all
learn to become experts in their professions.

Mr. Sidibeh with over 10,000 graduates in 10 years the Gambia would not
need to depend on a few soon-to-retire gray-headed blokes (myself
included) to educate them about whether how to grow peanuts, millet or rice?

Malanding Jaiteh