GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:39:58 EDT
Those of you in the U.S, Please take time to read and sign. Thanks

From:   <A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

Dear friend,

This Wednesday, in every state, MoveOn members will meet with their Senators'
offices and express their deep concern about the Bush White House's rush to
war with Iraq. In each meeting, the members will deliver a copy of the
signatures on our "No War on Iraq" petition from their state.

 In Tennessee, 574 people have signed the petition. Our goal is to reach 750
by Wednesday, and to top 100,000 nationally. Nationwide, we're already three
quarters of the way there -- but we need your help to put us over the top.
The more signers our local delegations represent, the more likely it is that
our national leaders will take their concerns seriously. We have just two
more days. Please sign the petition by going to the URL listed at teh end of
the message below and  filling out the form.

" Without hard evidence that Iraq poses a clear and present danger to the
U.S., Congress must act to prevent a war on Iraq. "

subject: Help prevent a war on Iraq

The Bush White House is aggressively promoting war on Iraq, against
the advice of its diplomats, and without strong support from Congress,
the American public, or our allies.

Please join me in signing an online petition to oppose a war that would
likely undermine both national and world security.  Let’s show our
representatives that they have strong public support to stop this war.

If you join me in signing today, your comments will be hand-delivered
to your Senators as part of a national day of action on August 28th.
Constituent meetings are being organized with Senate offices everywhere.

Sign the petition at:

  http://www.moveon.org/nowar/

It's important that we speak out against a war in which many of our
young people, and likely many more innocent Iraqis, would die.

Even top Republican leaders are publicly questioning a war:

Brent Scowcroft, the former National Security Advisor, says a U.S.
invasion of Iraq "could turn the whole region into a cauldron and,
thus, destroy the war on terrorism."  He also says "there is scant
evidence to tie Saddam to terrorist organizations, and even less to
the Sept. 11 attacks."

Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) says the CIA has "absolutely no evidence"
that Iraq possesses or will soon possess nuclear weapons.

Henry Kissinger says, "The notion of justified pre- emption runs
counter to modern international law, which sanctions the use of force
in self-defense only against actual -- not potential -- threats."
Kissinger also says, "American military intervention in Iraq would be
supported only grudgingly, if at all, by most European allies."

Dick Armey, the House Majority Leader (R-TX-26), says, "I don't believe
that America will justifiably make an unprovoked attack on another
nation.  It would not be consistent with what we have been as a nation
or what we should be as a nation."

We've got to speak out too.  Please join me and do your part, at:

  http://www.moveon.org/nowar/

Thank you.