GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:31:04 -0400
Halifa,

I agree with you as far as accountability is a fundamental requirement
of good governance. However, what I can understand from your exchange
with the finance secretary has nothing to do with the administration's
intergrity at all. You asked a legitimate question and the secretary
gave the National Assembly plausible reasons for the delay of the
Auditor General's report. Indeed he later promised that a report shall
be available by the end of December, 2003. Has the administration
failed to account for the issue before the house of representatives ?
The answer is an emphatic no...unless the secretary fails to
honor his word come December 2003.
The finance secretary did give a clear synopsis of the whole accounting
process i.e the Auditor General gives his/her preliminary report on
individual agencies which in turn respond with the appropriate data
that either rectify errors or challenge purported allegations in the
AG's report. Therefore you will be wrong Halifa to make judgements
concerning the integrity of Jammeh administration by accentuating the
histrionics of the AG's initial report. I would suggest you defer
judgment until the final report is  formally submitted to the Finance
and Public accounts committee in parliament.

Regards,

Ebou