GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joe sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:45:36 GMT
Dr. Ceesay, thanks for your contribution to this discussion.  I concur with
most of your observations and proposed solutions to combating this deadly
disease.  However, I disagree with three of your observations/solutions,
namely: religious solution; cultural practices; and the economics of
HIV/AIDS prevention.

We as Africans need to find solutions for our problems.  We don't have to
lash or stone anyone to combat this disease.  We are always quick to rely on
foreign religions as a cure-all for our problems.  Unless we stop looking to
Mecca or Rome, we will always find our selves scratching our heads for the
obvious.  We cured ourselves of various diseases before Mecca or Rome was
around, what makes us think that we should stop today?

You are right in stating that we need to rid off those aspects of our
culture that contribute to the spread of HIV/AIDS and that we should fight
the disease as a community.  However, I disagree with your observation
regarding Jola cultural practices.  I am a Jola and never seen or heard of
that practice.  If you have any facts to support your understanding, please
enlighten me.

Finally, like most things in life, money is not everything but it's part of
everything.  In addition to educating each other and looking into our roots,
we need medications for those who already have the disease, and that costs
money.

My humble opinion.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou