GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Barrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:25:44 +0300
Mr. Krubally,
With all due respect, I think you and many others are reading to much into
this Jammeh victory. That he is the declared winner of an election that
appears to be keenly contested is without doubt. But if you look at Gambian
electoral history, this says nothing much about Jammeh being a shrewd
operator
or some political guru.
You have to remember that Jammeh's predecessor was not removed by an
election defeat, and would not have been so removed but for the coup of July
94. To me that says two things about winning national elections in The
Gambia. The first is to be in control of  the machinery and resources of the
government of the country; and secondly, to have an opposition that though
has sacrificed a lot, but lacks the courage and the necessary brinkmanship
to take it up with the incumbent as far it wants to go.
Unknown in the Gambia as many of us on the L are, if by some quirk of
African
politics, any of us suddenly becomes CEO the country, you will surprised how
instantly your actions will become heroic and your utterances full of
wisdom. Unfortunately, at this level of our political development, all you
need do is to have the means to impose yourself on the Gambian people, and
there will be many who will do your bidding.
The danger in this kind of politics is that a smooth transfer of power
becomes difficult to achieve, and there continues to be a persistent feeling
of instability. A state of affairs that cannot be good for overall
well-being of the country.