GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:02:27 -0400
Saul, Joe and Kats, thanks for your brilliant depiction of the cowards we
are dealing with. Saul, together with Kiang, the vermin were also ran over
in Baddibu. After the humiliating defeat (despite the APRC vote-buying in
Baddibu as well) some APRC thugs trespassed and attacked jubilant UDP
supporters. The UDP supporters whipped the APRC thugs senseless. The next
you know, the UDP supporters were arrested by the Police. Matters just
worsened from there.

The UDP supporters were kept in jail and were eventually released when a
magistrate granted them bail. To show you the lawlessness that exists in our
country and to debunk all myths about the independence of the judiciary, I
will report to you that as soon as Joseph Joof and Yaya got wind of the
release of these UDP militants, the magistrate that granted them bail, was
sacked. Feeling of deja vue?

Yes, the same fate befell the magistrate that released Darboe et al after 80
UDP militants (including Darboe) were jailed for their actions during the
Basse Ambush. At that time, it was Pap Cheyassin Secka that ensured that the
magistrate was gotten rid of. This time, it is Joseph Joof; no other
difference. This is nothing but anarchy. Now if magistrates apply the laws
of the land to Yaya's detriment, they are summarily dismissed. The cowards
have added another arm in their arsenal. Now if they (APRC aggressors)
attack Gambians and people stand their ground and whip them, they (APRC
thugs) run to the police to try and get people arrested. If a magistrate is
smart enough to detect this unlawful arrest and brave enough to do something
about it, Joseph Joof walks in to get rid of the magistrate.

Up to today, I have not seen an official protest from our Bar Association to
Joseph Joof and Yaya about the unlawful removal of the magistrate. I warned
earlier on that I was afraid that Bola Carrol will evince the same impotence
shown by Josoph Joof when the latter occupied the position of President of
the Gambia Bar Association. Well, Carrol has not done anything to dispel my
fears. He has been emasculated by an impotent (Yaya). Apart from saying that
he was going to build a headquarters for the Bar Association, I have heard
nothing from Carrol. You noticed the same obsession with buildings and
things they can point to in order to fill their egos? These people are
clowns. Instead of fighting for human rights and the rule of law to prevail
in the country, these morons are only talking about building an office. Let
Carrol give us a break and get to work on his boy (Joseph Joof). We want an
end to this lawlessness. Who better to fight for restoration of lawfulness
than the President of the Bar Association.

Saul, as you indicated, the people of Baddibu and Kiang stood their ground
and challenged thugs like Baba Jobe and his July 22 Movement. We counsel
them to maintain the same vigilance come October. Our educated folks in
Banjul (lawyers of all people) should also stand up and ensure an end to
this lawlessness. This continued incarceration of people without due process
should stop. We have political prisoners in the country. Dumo et al are
languishing in jail for no just reason. Two weeks ago when our brothers
whipped the APRC aggressors, they should have been given medals. What did
they get in return? Jail time and lawyers that would not stand up to
safeguard the citizens' rights. Dumo should have been decorated by our
government for the selfless work he was doing with his NGO. What did he get
in return? Fabrications and lies from characters like Yaya, Foday Barry and
Pap Cheyassin Secka; abduction from thugs like Morr Jobe; incarceration
incommunicado for several months; continued detention without trial. This
lawlessness is intolerable.
KB