GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:58:36 +0100
Ebou Jallow Jammeh,
I don't know who you are trying to fool but I believe no one forced you to
write all what you have written here and other Gambian online forums and
magazines such as New African.

Folks, here is interview with Ebou Jallow (Jammeh) from today's Observer.

Momodou Camara
-------------------------------
http://allafrica.com/stories/200211110074.html

The Daily Observer (Banjul)
INTERVIEW
November 11, 2002
Posted to the web November 11, 2002
Banjul

Captain Ebou Jallow was the spokesman of the Armed Forces Provisional Ruling
Council (AFPRC) during the transition period. In October 1995, he
surreptitiously left for the US where he has been resident since. He was
embroiled in a legal battle with the AFPRC Government in what became known as
the 'Missing Millions Saga'. Ebou Jallow became an arch-critic of the
AFPRC/APRC Government and once described himself as President Jammeh's
'nemesis'. On August 8 2002, he was granted US citizenship at the George Mason
University Law School, Arlington, Virginia. Mr Jallow caused uproar when he
sent a note to President Jammeh a few days after the October 18 Presidential
elections asking for 'forgiveness'. In this exclusive interview with Sheriff
Bojang, Mr Jallow talks about his parentage, life as an AFPRC member, Koro
Ceesay and the 'Missing Millions Saga'.

Following your escape in October 1995, your new found foes among the ranks of
AFPRC branded you an illegitimate child; the son of Ebou Bobb, Jawara's former
chief of protocol. Are you really 'Ebou Bobb Jnr'?

I was named after my father's elder brother the late Ebou Jallow, aka "Choo".
He was a police officer in the early 1960s and left for Sierra Leone shortly
after I was born. He never returned to The Gambia, and died in Freetown some
years ago. I think it will be proper to highlight briefly my family history
here. My great grandfather Brumah Jammeh, a Jola, migrated to The Gambia from
the Casamance. From what I understand from my late grandmother Aji Cordu Faye,
Brumah Jammeh was a "talibe" to one imam at Perseverance Street called Ousman
Jallow. Brumah Jammeh named his only son, Ousman after his "serigne". Ousman,
my immediate grandfather, grew up in Imam Jallow's household who then adopted
him as his son after Brumah Jammeh's death. This is how the "Jallow" surname
came about. Ousman Jallow is Alagie Kama Badgie's uncle, and the family home is
still at Jola Kunda at Gloucester Street, Banjul. Even up to this date, some
members of my family are either Jammeh or Jallow. In reality, I am a Jammeh and
definitely not a "Jallow", a pure Jola and definitely not a Fula. My father,
Shehu Omar Jallow, was raised by Alagie Kama Badjie at Gloucester St, Banjul. I
do not have any relation with any Bobb whatsoever. This is just another vicious
innuendo.

People who know you said you joined the army because you had political
ambitions. Is that true?

I joined the Army just before finishing Sixth Form at Gambia High School in
1989...eh? I guess. Those were my turbulent adolescence years. I was a bright
but radical student; I could remember always fussing with Baba Galleh Jallow
our head boy then. Besides, I had serious financial difficulties getting
through school and definitely not even thinking of an opportunity for further
studies abroad. Joining the army was one desperate act I had to do because of
my frustrations with the social asphyxia during the First Republic - only the
privileged few with "connections" prosper, whilst the underclass are either
left to atrophy or become noble beggars. I knew then that I would surely use
that very same institution, the army, against the corrupt and inept incumbency.
Overthrowing that government had ever been my dream...it was just a matter of
time obviously.

Could you recall your first meeting with then Lieutenant Yahya Jammeh?

We all joined [the army] for similar reasons - we were all products of an un-
caring social system with no hopes of nurturing our unique talents
constructively. My first encounter with Jammeh was not quite rosy... I recall
at one time I had to defend some 20 to 30 soldiers at a summary court-martial
at Yundum Barracks. Inadvertently, Jammeh's signature was all over the charge
sheets as 'YAJJ Jammeh'. I was so eager to grill him in the witness box but
then I eventually learnt that YAJJ was actually "Kanilai", and I was sure he
must have heard about my notorious cross-examinations in the courtroom.
Honestly, I deeply felt then that he was a cool officer, and there was no need
to mess with our warm relationship. I will admit though that Jammeh was a
maverick, and I mean that in a friendly manner - he was a rough military
officer with very little sense of humour - a tough nut to crack. Nevertheless,
we entertained some kind of a mutual respect between us.

You were not in The Gambia in July 1994, where were you on the day of the coup
and what was your reaction?

I was attending Staff College at the US Naval War College, Newport, Rhode
Island, in July 1994 at the time of the coup. I remember my class went on an
informational tour at the Bath Iron Works at Maine (the shipyard that builds
the US Navy's cruise missile platforms), to study the structures of the US
military-industrial complex. Towards the end of the tour, a senior executive
informed me about a coup in The Gambia and one of my directing staffs asked me
if I would be OK. Well, I knew a coup was brewing, and in fact Singhatey once
jokingly informed me that I was going to miss the "fun" a day before I left for
the US. It was a bittersweet piece of news...I was glad that it was successful
without bloodshed but I was not too sure about Jammeh's leadership because I
did not know him well enough. I tried on several occasions to get in touch with
my colleagues.... I guess I was successful to speak to Capt Sam Sarr early in
the morning only to learn later that he had been arrested.

You became a member of the provisional military ruling council, how was life in
the AFPRC?

The AFPRC was an interesting group. The members had an official legislative
function, and some of us did usurp tremendous executive powers concurrently. In
other words, "l'etat ce nous" to paraphrase the French King just before the
1789 Revolution. Meetings were long, tedious, well regulated under Jammeh's
firm leadership. I always admired Jammeh's daunting endurance at following very
boring details - it was a feat sitting there deciding a nation's fate. However,
we also have our own cabal smoke-room meetings were very sensitive issues get
discussed; and somehow someone will always leave those meetings very bitter. I
guess the size of our group - five military officers from various career
backgrounds - had some serious misgivings. The AFPRC was susceptible to a
myriad of unscrupulous lobbyists with sinister designs; they were very good at
targeting our individual weaknesses and exploiting them. Often times, you will
find one of us unwittingly sponsoring an idea which became detrimental to our
mission. This was the precipitating cause of all the internal rivalry amongst
us, and the AFPRC was vulnerable to such manoeuvering from those who claimed to
be our friends then. I noticed this very early during my tenure at the Council,
and it did break my heart. There was no room for forgiveness for any mistakes.
Action then involved risks, and you better succeed or bury yourself. It was all
about survival, and that was the moment I decided that it was time for me to
leave. This was also an opportuned decision for me because I was administering
some critical secret projects for the state. Unfortunately, I realized that I
was misled by some faithless people and there was no way I could have convinced
Jammeh with my report. I do not at any time doubt that he could have understood
and acknowledged my explanations. Yet the ramifications could backlash on him,
and destroy the entire AFPRC or any trust the rest of the Council members had
for him. Simply put, it could have been a disaster for the entire country.
Therefore, I thought it prudent to leave and resign my tenure with the AFPRC.
Mark you, I never had any personal issues with Jammeh. He had absolute trust in
me, and I do still consider him a friend although we had a lot of
misunderstandings in the past.

Before we discuss what exactly led to your abscondence, tell me, former Finance
minister Ousman Koro Ceesay died while you were a member of the AFPRC. You were
on record as saying he was murdered. Tell me exactly what you knew about the
matter?

This is a very sensational issue and there are a lot of speculations on Koro's
death. I was informed about this tragic incident whilst I was in Tripoli, and
en-route back to The Gambia, I happened to join the same flight with Jammeh. He
was shocked, dismayed, and utterly shaken onboard the airplane. We had a brief
discussion about the issue and the rest is now history. I learned that the
authorities are still investigating Koro's death and I do not believe any
public disclosures shall do any good to the judicial process. I have realized
lately that the current frenzy about Koro is all politically motivated by some
disgruntled elements who simply hate the current regime. It is very clear that
they are more interested in politicising the tragic event than actually
securing any form of social justice. I have therefore decided to abstain from
all those political intrigues, and be reclusive due to the fact that I was a
member of the AFPRC.

Now, it was said you fled to the US because you stole about US$3 million from
the Gambia Government which you deposited in a Swiss bank. The Government filed
a suit in the Swiss court and recovered the money. What's your comment?

I know this have been a favourite staple for the anti-establishment and scandal-
mongers. I will keep it short and sweet. No money has ever been stolen from the
Gambia Government by Jammeh or myself. Yes, there were allegations from my
sworn enemies within the AFPRC administration back then. However, the charges
were ill-informed and plain ludicrous. Those who pressed for the charges felt
that nothing could stop them because Jammeh would vehemently distance himself
from the whole saga. It was all a very subtle blackmail by those who felt left
out from a serious state project they were not supposed to know. The whole
drama was nothing but a quintessential display of sibling rivalry. Yes, I
deposited USD1.7M at Credit Lyonnais but it was never meant to be
misappropriated at any time. After all, this was a top secret government
transaction and I will choose not to discuss it in public.

Then tell me exactly how you left The Gambia?

I left The Gambia on a Swiss Air flight to Geneva in October 1995, and of
course, I left surreptitiously without evoking any kind of suspicion. I stayed
in Geneva a couple of days then proceeded to Brussels to finish some personal
business before leaving for the US.

What have you been doing since?

Ever since I was working for the Department of Defence. I am a trained member
of the United States Marine Corps, the world's finest elite fighting force,
served at the 2nd Force Service Support Group at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina;
and recently I worked for the Strategy and Plans Division, Policy, Plans and
Operations, an agency at the Pentagon under then General Raymond Ayres US
Military Command.

You are now studying at Georgetown University, one of Washington DC's most
prestigious learning institutions. How did you get in, who's paying the bill?

Some of my former professors at the US Naval War College had been teaching at
Georgetown University, and I happened to get very strong recommendations to
enrol in the National Security Programmes under the prestigious School of
Foreign Service. However, I discovered that I have already studied most of the
courses before at the War College back in 1994. So I decided to study more
interdisciplinary subjects such as Political Economy and Philosophy. Hopefully,
I will complete my doctorate in Philosophy in the next couple of years. I hope
to start Law school too by next year inshallah... Tuition...uugh! Not a
favourite topic for students. I have a partial scholarship from Georgetown
University, some Federal Government grants and tuition assistance from the
Department of Defence; and some little change I get from part time jobs here
and there.

You once described yourself as Jammeh's 'nemesis', how come the volte face; you
are now almost speaking of him as a brother you have missed?

I am sure a lot of you would be surprised that I was in contact with Jammeh for
sometime since I left The Gambia... I had discussed with Jammeh before asking
for his understanding on several occasions. I can imagine that the political
atmosphere had been tensed since I left the AFPRC, and my former colleagues
exhausted every means to soil my reputation and character. They have done some
irreparable wrongs to my late beloved mother, Haddy Njie and members of my
family. I have decided to forgive reluctantly, and I also hope that those in
the government shall reasonably extend the same gesture. Politics does make
strange bedfellows but never eternal enmity. There is no way we can build that
country through degenerative hate and anger. It is time to forgive and heal.
The October election last year was a turning point in The Gambia's democratic
history and to everybody's surprise, the people of The Gambia chose Jammeh
overwhelmingly to lead them for the next five years. I believe in the
principles and values of democratic liberalism and as such, I feel the duty to
contribute my best towards that cause even if it appears in the form of some
government I deem distasteful. This is a matter of rational choice, and not
some fickle sentiments based on personalities or some prior antagonisms. It was
obviously not an easy task, and I had consulted my Jesuit spiritual mentor,
Father English and some very close friends before making that decision. I have
very little contact with the administration... perhaps I would say I only made
some courtesy phone calls to Colonel Jatta when he last visited Washington DC.

Don't you have any plan to return to The Gambia, don't you miss home?

I have no interest whatsoever to come home anytime soon because I am currently
engaged in some serious studies. However, I will leave my options open for any
future service to my wonderful country, The Gambia. Yes, I obviously miss home
and I would like to give my last respects to my late mother's grave, and also
condolences to my family.

What are your views on the Gambian cyber discussion forum, Gambia-L, to which
you have posted a lot of interesting, controversial articles?

Oh Lord! I cannot understand how one can waste so much time and talent on
anger, hatred and futile endeavours. It is pathetic browsing that website...
There is always the usual rigmarole of aimless nonsense - Jammeh this, Jammeh
that, insults, fabrications, malicious rumours and yes a lot of damned lies! -
What a pity to spend one's precious time! G-L has absolutely no importance
besides [being] a cyber "Hyde Park" for some disgruntled elements to display
their sorry selves. It is definitely not a serious forum for anyone to get
informed ideas. If you want some silly entertainment, visit that website and
believe me, you will never be disappointed.

On a personal level, you had a reputation, almost bacchanalian, for 'wild'
living, have you changed?

I enjoy life. I am sure people are aware of my wild parties - wine, women,
cigars, fancy lifestyles, etc, etc... Those are things of the past, and I think
we all do reach a stage in life where we have to evolve to more sublime levels.
I do not smoke at all nor drink any type of intoxicant. I definitely have never
done any type of drugs in my life.

Have you settled down [got married] is there someone in your life?

I am currently not married and I am not looking forward to doing that any time
soon; but I do have a very close and special friend, Karla who I care for a
lot. She is a fellow student at the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown
University - she is very smart, charming and compassionate.

From your photos, you seem to be living dolce vita (the good life), tell me
what kind of lifestyle you live.

I spend my spare moments with friends, perhaps once in a while at a cafe
downtown Washington. It is a Jazz/poetry club. We spend our time discussing
poetry, art, politics and philosophising all evening. Otherwise, I visit the
National Gallery of Arts to see exhibitions or study the abstract paintings of
Mondrian, Rothko and Picasso. I do read and write a lot of poetry it depends on
the mood. My only physical engagements are usually playing tennis with a friend
of mine, Kevins or jogging at the health club.