GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 16:49:39 GMT
Jabou,
That's exactly what I thought when I red the article. What Jammeh did is
good, but it would be even better if he could table a coherent or
disciplined economic policy that would create jobs for Gambians so that
families can send their children to school in dignity. Undoubtedly, there
are tens of thousands of Gambians like the little girl's family who find
themselves in the same predicament annually. So, instead of the president
chastizing the mother for not speaking up earlier about her daughter strikes
me as typical Jammeh bs: idiotic, egoistic, and totally hypocritical. Why?
1. He's acting as if the mother's silence almost deprived the daughter of an
education. Who said she did not appeal to family and neighbors? Knowing the
economic conditions back home, it's little wonder that no one can help.
2. By turning the whole issue into a circus, he continues to perpetuate the
fake "benign Mansa/Lord looking after his flock" image of himself. True
philantropists avoid any publicity of their deeds.
3. It's totally hypocritical, because Yaya is acting as if this is an
isolated case. It's not, and never has been. The Gambia, at the best of
times, has had inumerable people like this family. What the country needs is
a Julius Nyerere (a leader who understands the poverty of his people and
lives like ordinary folks.) We don't need one who has grown filthy rich (at
the expense of the people!) in five years, while his people continue a
perillous slide into an abyss of abject poverty.

Therefore, to try to project this "Good  Samaritan" image, when what the
people need are jobs, or at least a president who understands their poverty
and behaves sensitively to that, is a shame. The whole thing is a charade!

Even as I write this today, Yaya is killing 41 bulls and throwing a party at
what used to be McCarthy Square according to reliable sources. This, while
many of the few employed people are being laid off in the Hotel industry,
and the Education sector, just to mention two. How can anyone in their right
mind support such a hypocrite?

Saul.