GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 12:42:24 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 111/2007, 21 – 23 September  2007

Editorial
Depreciating Foreign Currencies And Appreciating  Dalasi
What Is Happening?
The dalasi is appreciating daily, while other  foreign currencies are
depreciating daily. The press release of the Central Bank  states that “the
strengthening of the Dalasi reflected improved macro economic  fundamentals including
robust output, growth, increased foreign exchange inflows  for foreign direct
investment, private remittances, re-exports, travel receipts,  cashew exports
as well as confidence in the Gambian economy and healthy  resources”
Foroyaa tried to interview the officials of the bank in order to  get the
figures of the earnings from cashew exports and the re-export trade to  try to
figure out what they mean by growth in output which should mean growth in
export. We also wanted to know which areas of foreign direct investment have
actually led to greater foreign exchange inflows into the country.
Our own  findings reveal that the foreign exchange in the country is not
directly linked  to the macro economic fundamentals of the country.
Investment in the  productive base is very limited. In fact the Central bank
has informed the  Nation that while deposit liabilities of the banks increased
to 6.19 billion  dalasis from a year ago, non performing loans have grown and
gross loans and  advances have dropped from 2.35 billion dalasis in June 2006
to 2.29 billion  dalasis in 2007.  The very Central Bank which claims that
there is  strengthening of macro economic fundamentals also acknowledges that
there is a  “tightening of credit conditions.” How can there be growth in
output without  growth in loans and investment by the private sector.
What is clear is that  the currency market is a phenomenon of its own.
According to the Central  Bank aggregate purchases and sales rose to 24.8
billion dalasis in the first 7  months ending July 2007.
The Central Bank needs to tell us where the money  being sold and bought is
going. A financial market which is separated from  production and which depends
entirely on buying and selling currencies, is a  speculative financial
market. Whenever there is speculation there is  uncertainty.
The first problem that Foroyaa noticed is the scarcity of the  Dalasi.
Gambians were promised new notes but our health officials would admit  that the
notes that are currently in circulation can even transmit illness  because of
their unwholesome nature. They are real sores in the eye. Even banks  give such
notes to their customers. It is our assumption that the scarcity of  dalasi and
the growth in remittances and growth in inflow of speculative foreign
currencies have led to the foreign currencies exceeding the supply in  dalasis.
For sometime, some banks refused to exchange foreign currencies.  This led to
speculative down trends of the exchange rates. Once the down trend  became
routine, the speculators had to flood the banks with foreign exchange to  save
themselves from total ruin. This of course gave more room for  conditionality
for the downward trend to continue.
One would think that  conditionality is the cause when the actual cause is
the speculative nature of  the currency market.
The dangers, however, are far reaching. First and  foremost, it is the banks
and foreign exchange bureaux that can become serious  losers. In short, if one
does not know what the rate would be in two months time  but the rate goes on
falling daily, the likeliness is for the financial  institution not to buy
and sell. Since most financial institutions depend on  this for profit, many of
them are likely to collapse if the trend continues.  Secondly, the importers
may buy foreign exchange and import goods only to have a  depreciation of the
foreign exchange before the goods are sold. Such uncertainty  may lead to a
wait and see approach before the importation of new  stocks.
Thirdly, in a speculative currency market there can be quick flight  of
capital in search of greener pastures which could lead to foreign exchange
scarcity and a sudden appreciation of foreign currencies.
The situation is  therefore not as rosy as the Central Bank makes it. This
requires careful  monitoring to prevent scarcity of goods and further
depreciation of the currency  after artificial appreciation.

Mam Sait Ceesay Bailed, Jones  Yet to Meet Conditions
By Yaya Dampha
Mam Sait Ceesay, the Press Officer  at the state house, was on Tuesday
released on bail after spending six days at  the remand wing of Mile Two Prisons,
when his family and friends could meet the  bail conditions.
However, the co-accused, Malick Jones, is still in custody  for being unable
to meet the bail conditions. The duo are charged with  communicating codes of
words contrary to section 4 (1)(a) of the Official  Secrets Act. According to
the particulars of offence, the two accused persons,  between 5 and 7
September 2007, have given secret information to a foreign  journalist knowing that is
harmful to the security of the state.
The accused  persons pleaded not guilty to the charge and were granted bail
with a bond in  the sum of two hundred thousand dalasis signed by a Gambian
surety with a title  deed.
The case is supposed to proceed on the 26 of September  2007.

Mixed Views on Commodity Prices
By Buboucarr  Sowe
Divergent views have been expressed within the business circle on the  price
reduction on few basic commodities announced recently by some businesses.
Retailers who spoke to Foroyaa claimed that “the reduction in prices does not
tally with the depreciation of the dollar and other currencies,” A businessman
expressed his view on the pricing mechanism of businesses. He said weeks ago
the  price of rice might have been D550, equivalent to $20.37. He argued that
the  same $20.37 is now equivalent to D407.41, which should be the price of
rice  today.
However, Mr. Tajco, the proprietor of Tajco Company, an importer,  told
Foroyaa that competition is too high and that they have to reduce prices.  He said
that they have recently reduced the price from D590 to D445, that the 20
litre cooking oil is from D610 to D450, 100% broken rice from D550 to 495and 25%
broken rice from D575 to D525. He added that the price of flour is fixed at
D660, but cautioned that subsequent consignments will be more  expensive.
Retailers, who buy from importers, told Foroyaa that they are at  the losing
end of the business. “If you buy at a high price today, you will not  make
profit because you have to follow the market trend when prices come down  the
following day,” a retailer said to Foroyaa.
Another said that there are  no fixed prices at the market, stressing that
just before then he had bought a  consignment of sugar at a price of D600 per
bag, while he was selling that same  consignment at D460 per bag due to
unfavourable market trends. The uncertainty  in the fluctuation of the dalasi is
frightening many members of the business  community.
As for the currency market this reporter discovered that some  banks are not
buying foreign currencies such as the dollar, pound sterling, euro  and CFA
francs.  Some bought these currencies only from account  holders.

Immigration Spokesperson Denies Rumours
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay & Awa Bah
The Immigration department is never short of complaints  from the public
pertaining to the issuance of passport and Identify Card (ID) to  eligible
applicants. The recent complaint being made is that it cannot produce  or issue more
than fifteen (15) passports a day to applicants.
When  contacted, the immigration spokesperson, Superintendent Olimatou Jammeh
Sonko,  described the allegation as untrue and unfounded. She said her
department has  put a new mechanism in place to control the quantity of passports
issued to  applicants in a week. She indicated that the issuance of passports is
in full  swing. Spokeswoman Jammeh Sonko explains that sometimes applicants
do not  receive their passports quickly due to the high demand in passport
application.  She noted that there is time when the demand is so high that there
is delay in  granting interviews to applicants; and that the duration between
submitting an  application form and receiving the passport can take three
weeks. Superintendent  Jammeh Sonko pointed out that a new mechanism is put in
place which may cause  delays in granting interviews and receiving the passport;
that now there are  different days for submissions and interviews which some
applicants failed to  understand or honour. She concluded that her department is
there to issue  passports to Gambians and that their doors are wide open for
applicants.

Convict Alleges Denial of Food And Severe Torture
By  Modou Jonga
One Ebrima Yafa, a Guinean national,  on Tuesday 18  September, 2007 told the
Brikama Magistrates Court that he and other suspects  were detained for
several days without food and were subjected to severe torture  by personnel of the
Brikama Police Station. He also alleged being hanged.
The  convict made these allegations before Magistrate E. F M;bai after being
convicted on store breaking and theft offences following his plea of guilt.
He  further alleged that personnel at the said station acted without adhering
to the  law and are often sexually harassing female relatives of detainees and
made bail  conditions hard to fulfill.
The convict who showed signs of torture on his  body, which appeared swollen,
and with bruises, had attempted to undress in  order to manifest the markings
from the alleged torture but was prevented by the  presiding magistrate and
the prosecutor. He noted that he and his colleagues  survived through little
financial handouts given by individuals, which they put  together to buy food.
Prosecutor Jammeh denied the statement of the  convict.  He said the latter
had been previously convicted and sentenced by  the said court on similar
offences and that he is an experienced  criminal.
The convict who said he has been residing in the country for  fourteen years
was then sentenced to six months with hard labour on each count  and both
sentences are to run concurrently. It is however ruled that upon  completion of
the said sentences, the convict be deported to the country of his  origin and
the stolen items be returned to the complainant.

“There  Cannot Be Peace Without Justice”
Says Cissokho Aldioma, President of the  Mauritanian Refugees’ Movement for
the Defence of Human Rights
By Ousman  Sillah
In this exclusive interview with FOROYAA’s Ousman Sillah, the  President of
the Mouvement de Refugee Mauritaniene au Senegal pour la Defence de  Droit des I
’ Homme, Mr. Cissokho Aldioma, passionately talks about their  movement, the
state orchestrated diabolical persecution and pogram of the black
Mauritanians, the forced deportations, the legitimate demands of the Mauritanian
refugees in Senegal, Slavery, Human Rights and Democracy in Mauritania, African
Unity and the Way Forward. Excerpts.
Foroyaa: Mr. Cissokho, how did your  Movement come about? What are your
objectives?
Mr. Cissokho:  Well, the  Movement de Refugee Mauretaniene au Senegal pour la
Defence de Droit des I’  Homme (Movement of Mauritanian Refugees in Senegal
for the Defence of Human  Rights) was established in October 1994 to enable
people, the World over, to  know about the hardships and persecution meted on us
(the black Mauritanian  population) when we were leaving Mauritania at the
height of the crisis and to  fight for our legitimate rights to return to our
homeland.
As you know, a  refugee is invariably a very poor person, because when you
are leaving your  country you move out with virtually nothing. As refugees, we
left our homes,  belongings, community, occupations and everything behind to
seek refuge  elsewhere.
During the crisis, bona-fide Mauritanian citizens were painfully  deported.
The cruelty inflicted on black Mauritanians, the torture and summary
executions are horrendous and despicable.
Those  Mauritanians who  became the victims of forced deportation included
state functionaries (civil  servants), cadres, military officials, farmers,
herders, fishermen, students,  who are all of black African origin. Infact, it is
this rich combination of  experiences that gave us the exemplary resilience
and conviction needed to  support and sustain our struggle during our 18 years
in exile, that is from 1989  to date.
Foroyaa: How is your life as refugees?
Mr. Cisokho: To tell you  the truth, the struggle was arduous and tough.
Although it is not yet over,  however, we are pleased to note that the full
support and solidarity from civil  society, human rights organisations and the local
population have helped in  giving us the necessary courage and strength that
enabled us to confront and  over come some of the challenges that one contends
with when living in exile and  fighting for a just cause.
The former regime of Ould Taya had done everything  within its powers to deny
us, bribe us, coerce and terrorize us. Our lives were  really at risk.
However, our strong conviction to stick to the truth is what had  made us to survive
to this day.
Foroyaa: What is the response of the  International Community to your
legitimate concerns?
Mr. Cissokho: We have  been coming to The Gambia to attend sessions of the
African Commission for  Democracy and Human Rights (ACDHR), as we have observer s
tatus since April 1995.  These visits have enabled us the opportunity to meet
with and present our case  to African and International Human Rights
Organisations, such as Amnesty  International, Human Rights Watch, Federation
Internationale de Droit des I’  Homme (FIDH), based in France, and many others. We
have enriching, inspiring and  educative exchanges.
At the continental level, the Union Inter African de  Droit des I’ Homme,
based in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, has also been very  supportive to our cause
We have done everything possible to ensure that the  world know all what
happened to us in Mauritanian and the mistreatment and  discrimination that exist
there. We have drawn the attention of the world to the  fact that all the
refugees are black Africans, which is not normal in a country  of diverse peoples
and cultures. The black African peoples are bona fide  Mauritanian nationals
and who are without any mix, whatsoever, as Mauritania is  their country of
origin.
The undue hardships and suffering being experienced  by the black Mauritanian
refugees need to be exposed and made known. A lot of  refugees died in
Senegal because of poverty and the lack of means for medical  care, etc. As long as
we live, we will never forget those refugee compatriots  who died whilst
struggling in hardship and yearning for the day when they will  return to their
homeland. We will never forget these fallen heroes and heroines  until the day
when we, their surviving refugee compatriots, have regained our  rights to
return and freely live in our own country as equals  citizens.
Foroyaa: What warranted your visit to The Gambia?
Mr. Cissokho:  It is the new situation in Mauritania now that has warranted
my visit to The  Gambia. There is a new situation there following the change of
government that  toppled the regime of Ould Taya who had always denied the
existence of refugees  from Mauritania. It was this Ould Taya who had created
and was responsible for  the refugee problem. It was his government that had
orchestrated and  participated in the persecution, deportation and all the
cruelty inflicted on  black Mauritanians. Ould Taya had always insisted that the
refugees are  Senegalese and that if they want to return they should do so
without any demands  for reparation.
When Elly Ould Vaal came in August 2005, he promised to bring  about
Democracy, Press Freedom, Liberty of Citizens to freely express themselves  without
let or hindrance. But he said he will not touch or discuss about the  Refugee
problem.
Following the coming into office of the democratically  elected government of
President Sidi Ould Sheikh Abdallah, he promised  Mauritanians that he has
two priorities to address. One is the refugee problem  and the other, the
slavery issue.
Foroyaa: How far has the new democratically  elected government responded to
your legitimate concerns?
Mr. Cissokho: To  Speak the truth, the new government is, so far, really
going by its promises.  President Sidi Ould Sheikh Abdallah had paid an official
visit to Senegal and  has told the Senegalese regime that the purpose of his
mission was to pave the  way for a safe return of the Mauritanian Refugees based
in Senegal. He also sent  a ministerial delegation to Senegal and which held
discussions with  President  Abdoulaye Wade and his government, the United
Nations High  Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the delegation of the
Refugees. They  visited all the Refugees camps in Senegal, such as Dagana, Ndione,
Dodel,  Ourossogue, Bakel and Bokediawe and have discussed with the refugees.
The  common position of the Refugees is that we want to return to our
homeland but  with certain conditions.
Hence, the purpose of my mission to The Gambia now  is to hold discussion
with concern institutions and officials and to present the  demands being made by
the Mauritanian Refugees for their return.
Foroyaa:  What are these demands that your Movement and Refugees are asking
from the  Mauritanian government?
Mr. Cissokho: Our demands are these: Firstly, we are  asking the Mauritanian
government to apologize to the Mauritanian people and  seek for the
forgiveness of, particularly, the refugees for the crime they have  committed against
them.
Secondly, the citizenship that was stripped from the  black Mauritanian
Refugees must be returned to them to demonstrate that they too  are bona-fide
citizens of Mauritania. After meeting these demands, the  government needs  to
establish and create conditions for the   engagement of returnees in meaningful
and sustainable vocations.
The  government has to institute reparations for civil servants, military and
 paramilitary personnel, e.g the custom officials (douanes), etc, by
re-instating  and paying them  drawbacks. As for the peasant farmers, they have to be
given back their land and assisted with implements and means to enable them
to  work on the fields again. The shepherds to be assisted to get their flocks
back  inorder to continue earning a living. Fishermen, too, needed to be
returned  their boats and fishing gear and to help create the enabling conditions
for them  to market their catch. The students should be enabled to return to
school and be  given scholarships by the state.
These are some of the demands that basically  constitute our platform and
issues of which to discuss with the Mauritanian  government inorder to ensure and
facilitate a safe and dignified return of all  the Mauritanian Refugees
currently based in Senegal.
Let us not also forget  that these people were living in homes which they are
entitled to get back or be  provided with new and permanent decent houses for
residence.
However, for  all these to be possible, there must be some guarantees. The
talks between the  Refugees and the Mauritanian government should be held in
Senegal to ensure that  everything is done above board. These talks also require
Observers who should  serve as witness and the moral guarantors of any final
agreement and who should  also ensure that the agreements are respected. These
Observers cum Guarantors  should include the UNHCR, the government of the
republic of Senegal as country  of exile, Human Rights Organisations, AU, etc.
The agreement, in other words,  should be written in black and white and made
known to everybody. The national  and independent press should be involved to
disseminate the outcome of the talks  through all the national languages
spoken in Mauritanian to enable all  Mauritanians to know all what the agreement
entails.
Foroyaa: What is the  position of the other Mauritanian political parties
regarding your plight and  cause?
Mr. Cissokho: We, as a movement, do not have any links with any of the
political parties in Mauritanian. What we do not want is to make the Refugee
problem a partisan issue. However, some political parties have made the Refugee
issue an agenda on their platforms, now that an enabling environment is created
for discussions to be held. It was not even long ago that some political
party  representatives visited and pleaded with the Refugees to return home. But
what  we told these political  party delegations was that, before we return to
our homeland, there should be clear conditions and concrete agreements. Our
position is that “There cannot be Peace without Justice.” We told them that
you  cannot have peace in nation on bitterness and resentment. What the
situation  demands now is that those who had inflicted cruelty and  crimes of
fratricide should be identified and tried. And the opposition parties agreed  with
us on this score. However, we all acknowledged that if Justice is not done,
resentment and bitterness will pave the wave for vengeance and this is what
leads to civil strife, which we do not want.

Foroyaa: What is the  situation with slavery?
Mr. Cissokho: Mauritanian is a very complex place. It  is called an Islamic
republic. The majority are Berbers and not Arabs, great  religious leaders were
born there or have been based there. These are the  considerations that make
the existence of slavery in Mauritania a strange thing  and an irony. This
phenomenon compels one to ask the question: Why is slavery  still existing in
Mauritania?
The answer is that the reason why there is  still slavery in Mauritanian is
because of the lack of conviction. Slavery  should have been completely
eradicated in Mauritanian a long time  ago.
For your information, slavery has been abolished in Mauritania on  three
different occasions. The first was in 1905. This was followed by the ones  in 1961
and 1980. Now there is a new draft law in 2007 which is about slavery  and is
more comprehensive than the previous ones.
However, we are still  waiting to see what and how this piece of legislation
is going to fare. There  are very strong anti-slavery organisations in
Mauritania that are working day  and night to make sure that this anti-human practice
is stopped. Such  organisations include, the Association Mauritaniene de
Droit des I’ Homme (AMDH)  of Madam Aminata Mbye, the SoS Esclavage (SoS Slavery)
of Messaoud, as well as  others.
Slavery has been a long tradition in Mauritania, but with the  incessant
struggle being waged, the movement will eventually succeed. Just as  the Refugee
problem, this slavery problem also needs the full support of the  international
community, since Mauritania alone cannot solve it. The support can  take
legal, financial and economic forms.
Foroyaa: Now that there is a  democratically elected government in place,
what is the present state of  Democracy in Mauritania?
Mr. Cissokho: Well the new regime has so far shown  encouraging signs that
are promising for Democracy. If the promises are  fulfilled, then Mauritania is
on the right track and will surely succeed in the  area of building a
Democratic society and state. Although there are still some  outstanding issues to be
addressed.
Everybody knows that Democracy is not  decreed. It is something practiced
through constant actions inorder to get it  entrenched. For Democracy to triumph
in Mauritania, apart from the return of the  Refugees and the Abolishing of
slavery, there should also be an independent and  vibrant press that exists to
portray divergence. The Television and Radio  Stations as well as Newspapers
need to operate independently.
On the  economic front, the government needs to implement policies and
programmes that  ensure a fair distribution of the wealth of the nation to end
poverty.  Educational institutions or schools should be increased to make education
 accessible and affordable to every Mauritanian national as a matter of Right
and  not a Privilege. Medical care should be made accessible to the
population.
Every Mauritanian should be made to have a sense of national  identity and be
proud of ones nationality,  whether you are a Berber,  Wollof, Soninke
(Serahule), Pulaar or Bambara so that we all can benefit from  the richness of our
diverse cultures in the form of languages, dress code, etc.  This Democratic
dispensation will also make visitors to feel at home in  Mauritania and will
further help the country to develop and strengthen the  relationship of good
neighbourliness with its neighbouring countries.
I am  hopeful that with conviction and determination we can create a
Mauritania that  is democratic, tolerant, multi-cultural and prosperous enough to
benefit all her  citizens.
Foroyaa: Are there any prospects for African Unity?
Mr.  Cissokho: My brother, don’t bother yourself. Mauritania or any other
African  country, for that matter cannot be anything if Africa is not united.
Since the  days of the Founding Fathers, like Kwame Nkrumah who have done their
part,  nothing much has been achieved yet. There is too much talking and little
deeds.  Individualism must give way to what serves the collective interests
of the  entire African peoples. African Unity is the only way forward for
Africa and  Africans.
Foroyaa: On a final note what else do you want to share with the  readers?
Mr. Cissokho: I cannot end this interview without thanking the  loving people
of The Gambia who have always been steadfast in their solidarity  and support
for our legitimate cause, since at the time I was here working on  the issue
of Human Rights and Mauritanian Refugees. I want to thank the Press,  Gamcem,
Gambia Youth Federation, Schools, Mosques, Churches and the local  population.
I also thanked you for giving me the opportunity through your medium  to
explain our cause and position to your readership, both at home and abroad.  We
would also want The Gambian people to pray for us so that the Refugees will
return home and realize their legitimate demands.
Foroyaa: Thank you very  Monsieur Cissokho for sharing with us and we wish
your movement, the Mauritanian  Refugees success in all your strivings.
Mr. Cissokho: Ameen. Thank you too  Monsieur Sillah.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
BLACKMAIL,  JUSTICE  AND SENTIMENT
Part 4
By Amie Sillah
Greg Comes Back Home
Greg came  back home with great expectation. He blamed the company manager
for letting  Daado leave. “Mr. Bangura! You are the manager of this branch of my
company. You  have managed this branch very well but you failed to manage my
fiancée, where is  Daado? Why did she leave the company? I need answers but
you give me none. Now I  have to start afresh”. Greg lamented.

Going To Scout For Daado
Greg searched everywhere for Daado but to no  avail. He visited Sophia, Daado’
s best Pal and asked for her. Sophia did not  know Daado’s whereabout. She
blamed Greg’s silence. “You remained incommunicado!  Why Greg? we were both
confused. We thought about it but could not find an  answer. Daado was shattered”
. Greg apologized. “I apologized. My incommunicado  was beyond my control. But
all the shame I have to find her and say I am sorry”.  “Well! I am very
sorry for both of you but of late Daado avoided everybody  including me her best
Pal. I do not know her whereabout. This is unusual of  Daado. My friend must be
in great emotional pain”. Sophia posited. “Thank you! I  am determined to
see my babe. I must see Daado!” Greg left in search of  Daado.

Greg Goes To See Phillip
Greg visited his cousin Phillip and talked  about Daado’s disappearance.
Phillip was surprised. “But why! Where could she  be? Let’s check her mum and
found out”. Phillip advised.

The Duo Visit Daado’s Mum
The duo visited Daado’s mum. Daado was not  there. “Where could she be?”
Greg became desperate. Mamma called Daado’s younger  sister Rebecca and asked her
Daado’s whereabout. “What did you discuss with  Daado before she left?”
Mamma asked Becki. “Well! She went somewhere. She said  she was badly hurt and she
wanted a change of environment”. “Did she tell you  where she went”. Becki
nodded her head. “She refused to disclose the place. But  promised to let me
know as soon as she settled down but I am still waiting for  three months now.
She rings from time to time to let me know everything was okay  with her but
still not disclosing her place of residence”. Greg sweated  profusely. He vowed
to search for Daado at all cost. “Money is not my problem  Mamma! I have to
find Daado. I love her. She is my life. Do you approve Mamma?”  “Yes, I do! But
how are going to find her?” Mamma was curious. “Well! I’ll use  the media,
radio, television, newspapers and town criers. You name it! I must  find my
missing rib. I’ll declare her wanted”. “Wanted! Wanted for what? Mamma  asked”.
“Wanted for love!” Greg replied. “I’ll do anything Mamma to get Daado  back”
. Greg and Phillip left to execute Greg’s expedition.

Daddo Is At Her Cousins’ House
Daado stayed at her cousins house. She  was closed up. She isolated herself
from the house’s activity. The house inmates  gossiped about Daado’s strange
behaviour. “She isolated  herself. She does  not discuss with anyone. When we
ask her she said it is okay. It is not! Daado  needs deliverance” said her
cousin Eliza.

Greg Is Worried
Greg is worried. He had done every possible thing. He  now put a price on
Daado’s search. He promised half a million dalasis for anyone  who find his love.
He put the advert on newspapers, radio, television and also  pasted notices
at public places in the city.

Eliza Sees The Notice
Eliza went to town and saw the notice. She could  not believe her eyes. She
rubbed it twice and went closer to read it. She saw  the price tag of half a
million for the person who finds Daado. She jumped “I’ll  be rich! I’ll be
rich! This is my time to make it. My hotel job is seasonal and  earns me nothing.
So many dependants, I am the eldest. Our parent are dead. Let  me rush to Mr.
Greg and tell him the good news”. Eliza rushed home to tell Daado  before
going to Greg to give him the information.

Eliza And Daado
Eliza told Daado about Greg’s notice and the price tag  on it. Daado broke
down emotionally. “You should not receive that money Lizzy.  That is extortion! I
’ll not allow you! I’ll disown you! Don’t take Greg’s money,  I don’t want
to see him!” Lizzy was surprised. “Why Daado? Why? Greg is filthy  rich and
he loves you. You should thank your stars to be the lucky babe Greg  dies for.
Million of babes are struggling for such a chance”. Lizzy advised. “I  am not
among those million babes. I love Greg for love and his human nature not  his
wealth. Wealth means nothing to me. Lizzy! You can not understand!” “Let me
understand Daado! Let me understand! Me for one will not allow this golden
opportunity to slip away. Trust me Daado! Trust me!” Lizzy went to find  Greg.

Lizzy And Greg
Lizzy went to Greg’s office and announced herself. Greg  was excited to see
her. When the secretary ushered her in Greg questioned her.  “You are the
damsel who come with the good news?” “Yes! I am.” Lizzy confirmed.  “Are you sure
that you see Daado?” Greg asked again”. Aunty Daado is my first  cousin. She
stays with us since she left her town. Lets go now. I’ll take you to  my home”
. The duo left in Greg’s car to find Daado.

Daddo Smells The Coffee
Daado suspected Lizzy. “She is greedy. She loves  money. She will act as she
says”. Daado soliloqued. Daado lied to his cousin  Alfred, Lizzy’s Sibling. “
Fred! I’ve just receive a message from my supervisor.  My job is confirmed. He
asked me to go now to get my confirmation letter. He is  traveling to the
neighbouring state”. Alfred was not happy. “Daado! It is too  quick. Wait for
breakfast before you leave. You must be very hungry”. Fred  reasoned. “Its
okay! Thank you. I’ll take care of myself. I’ll communicate when  I arrive. Thank
you for lodging me all this while”. She then left.

Lizzy Comes With Greg
As soon as Daado left, Lizzy and Greg arrived. As  Greg greeted the inmates,
Lizzy rushed to the bed room. She searched everywhere  but Daado is no where
to be found. She become desperate. She rushed to the  sitting room and asked
her siblings. “Where is Daado? I left her here. Where is  she?” Alfred
answered. “Aunty Daado just left. What is it?” Greg responded. “I  want to find her.
Where has she gone? It is important I find her at all cost. It  is very
important that I found Daado”. Lizzy blamed her siblings for letting  Daado go. “
You people are very stupid! Why should you let Daado go? I need this  money! We
all do! You are parasitic! I do everything in this house. I am tried  oh! I am
tired!” The siblings were lost. “What is this all about? You have  started
with your trouble oh! You have started”. Josephine complained. “Let us  go
Greg! Let us go! We will find her. These people are foolish”. The duo left.  The
siblings stared. They could not understand Lizzy’s rage. “Lizzy is trouble!
Don’t mind her. Just ignore her”. Fred advised Jos.

Daado Is Spotted
The duo spotted Daado at the Bus stop waiting for the  bus. Lizzy and Greg
gave a sign of relief. The duo did the sign of the cross. “I  am absolved. This
is Aunty Daado”. Lizzy announced. Greg drove fast and caught  up with her. He
got out and went to her. He got her into the car and drove her  to his home.
The Confrontation
Daado confronted Greg. She blamed him for  her predicament. “You engaged me
and dumped me. For one year you remained  incommunicado. I was lost; I could
not turn to anyone”. Daado swept  bitterly.
Greg explained his circumstances. “I fell into some bad guys. It  was too
late before I knew they were drug dealers. We caught up with some law
enforcement officers and we were put into jail pending investigation to  determine our
innocence or guilt. The investigations prolonged but with God’s  grace at the
end of everything I was absolved and freed, that’s when I returned  home. I am
very sorry for everything you have gone through. I’ll make it up to  you. I
love you Daado! I love you very much. I’ll lay down my life for you if  need me,”
 Greg emphasized.

The Reconciliation
Daado emotionally broke down. Greg consoled and  reassured her. They
reconciliated and set a date for the wedding. Lizzy thanked  God and is grateful that
she made it possible for finding Daado. Greg lived to  his promise. Lizzy got
the half million and upgrade her life that of her  family.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
THE 1987 GENERAL  ELECTIONS
WOULD THERE BE FREE AND FAIR ELECTIONS?
The Debate Goes On
By  Suwaibou Touray
We have been focusing on politics in this column and this  motivates us to
narrate the history of Gambian politics from pre-colonial to  post-Independence
era. We have since then followed the narration of events up to  1987, which
was an election year for both Presidential and Parliamentary  elections.
In the last issue we have narrated some contradictions that  emanated during
the 1987 general elections. Let us continue from where we  stopped.
The criticisms leveled against the PPP’s brand of democracy came  from all
angles. This compelled the PPP to defend their brand of  democracy.
According to the then vice president and leader of  government business in
the house of parliament, in defending his government’s  policies, the opposition
did question the assurance that the general elections  would be free and
fair. Mr. Bakary Darboe said the elections were going to be  free and fair. He
simplified it to mean that the opposition parties were just  afraid and that was
why they were expressing fears. Mr. M.C Cham however  expressed concern with
the activities of the opposition and accused them of  spreading false
information. He further went on to indicate his fear of threats  to candidates; that
the opposition were attempting to split the people. He  labeled the opposition
as confusionists and misguided politicians, justifying  the reason why they
should be given security escorts during campaign.
Mr.  Assan Musa Camara, leader of The Gambia People’s Party (GPP) was
interviewed by  the BBC. Mr. Camara complained that the PPP Government Ministers and
Parliamentary Secretaries utilize government vehicles and fuel to conduct
their  campaigns which, he said, was no news to anyone who was familiar with the
PPP’s  brand of democracy. He accused the PPP of mixing up party and state
matters.
Mr. Camara told the BBC that the PPP was infact using UN and WHO  vehicles in
their campaigns. He said he has personally seen one UN vehicle  displaying a
portrait of a PPP candidate and another flying a PPP flag. Mr.  Camara said he
could not understand how such reputable international bodies like  the United
Nations could allow their properties to be utilized in the election  campaign
which he said tantamounts to interference in our internal affairs. He
accused the UN for putting their political neutrality in question. Mr. Camara  said
the whole diplomatic corps accompanied Sir Dawda Jawara on the “meet the
farmers’ tour” which turned out to be the “meet the voters tour” only talking
PPP politics. He expressed surprise that, that was not enough to make the UN
personnel suspicious of being used as pawns in the local political chess game
to  promote certain parochial interests. At this stage PPP’s defence was that
they  adhered to democratic principles and respect for the rule of law.
In a  question posed to the then Attorney-General in an interview, Mr. Hassan
Jallow  asserted that The Gambia was one of the few democracies that existed
on the  African continent; that it is a country which has always had a
constitution  since independence with a Bill of rights guaranteeing fundamental
rights and  liberties which, can only be altered through a Referendum. These
rights, he  said, were enforced by the Supreme Court.
Mr. Assan Jallow said there  is no repression against anybody for having
political views which differ from  those of the government; that there has never
been any restriction on the  establishment of political parties. The PPP is
proud that since independence  there has always existed at least one opposition
party; that they had three  opposition parties with the emergence of PDOIS.
Mr. Jallow said although  there was some limitation on civil servants, he
said that was for obvious  reasons not to publicly manifest their support for any
political party, be it  governing party or opposition.
According to Barbara Goodwin, Democracy Theory  entails:
1.   Supremacy of the people
2.   The consent  of the governed as the basis of legitimacy.
3.   The rule of law:  peaceful methods of conflict resolution.
4.   The existence of a  common good or public interest
5.   The value of the individual as  a rationale, moral active citizen
6.   Equal civil rights for all  individuals.

According to her, democracy is based on the legal idea  of a contract between
the representatives and the electors.
The debate as to  whether the 1987 elections would be free and fair continued
unabated.  Sympathizers of the NCP were of the view that foreign observers
and journalists  should be invited to witness the elections; that this would be
a test of Sir  Dawda’s determination to show if he really meant what he says.
As far as the  Nation Newspaper was concerned, it was crystal clear that the
PPP’s actions made  a complete mockery of it’s regime’s claim to adherence to
free and fair  elections because as they said the very process that leads to
the elections is  anything but free and fair.
The Nation criticized the old brand of  politicians and said they and their
surrogates have been traversing the  countryside with their old tricks to win
the minds and sympathies of the masses.  The Nation insisted that they used all
kinds of unconventional methods to outwit  their opponents. The Nation
accused the old brand of politicians that instead of  electioneering on policy
issues and programmes, they brandish their ill-gotten  wealth and other sweet
promises in a bid to get re-elected for another  term.
The Nation opined that the PPP anticipated that a low-turn out of  voters
would be to their advantage and therefore they would not be quite  particular
about a high turnout. The Nation also reported an allegation that the  PPP may
have bought all the fuel to enable them to move about and to transport  their
supporters whilst they created an artificial shortage of petrol thereby  making
the opposition stranded,
The Nation criticized the regime for its  virtual control of the National
radio and the government apparatus for their  campaign; that sometimes the ruling
party controlled state media convey very  trivial matters like the socalled
carpet-crossing of prominent opposition  figures to their party, with the sole
objective of demoralizing opposition  supporters. It accused the PPP of using
the National radio as if it was their  personal property. The Nation also
attacked what it called opportunists element  in the civil service who
deliberately assist the PPP in their nefarious  escapades.” Instead of performing their
duties without fear or favour as public  servants, these egocentric individuals
would willingly use their official status  to help promote the aims of the
PPP,” the Nation attacked. The Nation states  that it is ok with the regime if
civil servants support them but that if any of  them were to show any
opposition sympathies they would not hesitate to unleash  their wrath on you.
The Nation also stated that it was a well-known  fact that commissioners and
District Chiefs had mostly been reduced to PPP  campaign agents in the
provinces; that It had infact been reported that some  chiefs have been threatening
to depose “Alkalolu” or village heads, who showed  any sympathy to  the
opposition.
The Nation decried that despite all  these unfair methods being employed by
the PPP regime to cling on to power, they  still continued to make a lot of
noise about their adherence to democratic  principles and respect for the rule of
law. The Nation opined that the fact that  the president had personally
denied the PDOIS access to Radio Gambia just  because they had no representation in
parliament, eventhough the parliament was  dissolved, was enough to
demonstrate the undemocratic nature of the regime. The  Nation went on to cite Mr. Sam
Sarr, a career diplomat at The Gambia High  Commission in London, who in his
new year’s message to President Jawara said he  was also praying for the PPP to
win next the general elections. They said High  Commissioner Sarr overstepped
his obligations and therefore forfeited any claim  to be treated as an
impartial representative of Gambian interest in Europe; that  he was serving only a
partisan interest, not national interest.
The Nation  argued that the President’s Press Officer, a Senior Civil
Servant, was the  editor of “The Gambia Times” the PPP organ. They also cited the
Assistant  Director of the Department of Non-Formal Education, as a prominent
member of the  PPP hierarchy.
“Imagine such people supporting the opposition,” the Nation  posited.
Support the opposition, what would happen to them?
Gambian  democracy, at this stage, was sort of dominated by an elite group
that   maintains a view which casts doubt on the capacity of the people to
participate  in politics. So the vast majority of elites simply refused to give
adequate  information to the electors with the pretext that the masses would not
understand. So all they sought from the masses is their votes by whatever
methods. It also appeared that since Gambia was one of the few countries in
Africa or in The West Africa region at the time, practicing multi-party
democracy, the international community did not put any undue pressure on the  regime
to adhere to the basic principles for fear that the regime may be cowed  to
create a one party state which was dominant on the continent.
See next  issue as we edge closer to the D-day of the 1987 general  elections.

National Assembly Scrutinizes Alien I.D Cards  Revenue
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The National Assembly Member for Niamina East,  Foday Jallow, has questioned
the Secretary of State for the Interior, Ousman  Sonko, on the amount of money
collected on the alien identification cards in  2006.
Mr. Jallow made this enquiry during the question and answer session at  the
National Assembly on Tuesday, September 11. SoS Sonko replied that the  amount
collected in Banjul was D7, 185,100; for the  Kanifing Municipality  it was
D1, 120, 500, the Western Region D209, 500, the Lower River Region  D288,000,
the North Bank Region D1,510,000, the Central River Region D691, 000  and the
Upper River Region D2, 531,000.
Mr. Sonko said the fall in revenue in  the Kanifing Municipality and the
Western Region is due to the fact that  cashiers in those regions were paying
directly to the central cashier in  Banjul.
The Niamina East Member also asked the SoS whether all foreigners  residing
in the country are registered.
The Secretary of State in his  response said, “almost all the aliens in the
country are registered.” Mr. Sonko  said this is why Immigration Officers are
seen everywhere conducting raids and  mounting check points so that the
unregistered ones are  registered.

In GNTU Forgery Trial
Accused Testifies
By  Modou Jonga
Alleged forgery trial involving the former first vice president  of the
Gambia National Transport, Agricultural, Industrial Workers Union, Mr.  Abdoulie
Sosseh and the state proceeded on Wednesday 18 September, 2007 with the  defence
of the accused.
In his testimony, the accused denied forging  documents of the Transport
Union; that he became involved in the union in 2002,  after being approached by
one Alieu Ngum that the said union he belongs to is in  trouble; that he
realized that the purported problem is between the Transport  Union and the Gambia
National Transport Control Association, which is a  brainchild of the Transport
Union.
According to the accused, the said Alieu  Ngum requested him to tackle the
said problem and that with the assistance of  the latter; he collected
information in order to fully comprehend the issues  involved so as to be an objective
and valuable adviser. The accused told the  court that he was again approached
by the said Alieu Ngum in June 2006 and was  invited to meet with the
executive members of the transport union, including the  president; that at the end
of the said meeting, he was convinced of the need to  help in solving the
problem and to be frequently meeting the president and other  executive members. He
noted that by late July, 2006, he returned to the United  States of America
and that it was recommended by the President of the Transport  Union (Daddy
Sowe) and the first prosecution witness that he (the accused) should be offered
an impressive appointment by exchanging his capacity as a  representative and
goodwill ambassador of the said Union in the United States of  America (USA).
The accused tendered his appointment letter as first  vice president of the
Transport Union signed by the President and  Secretary-General and marked as
defence exhibit without objection from the  prosecution. He explained that upon
joining the Union, he was to pay financial  arrears from January to July 2006
and that he was issued with a membership card.  The said membership card was
tendered and marked in court as defence exhibit  without objection by the
prosecutor.
Testifying further, the accused noted  that in July last year, while in the
country, several executive meetings were  convened and that he enquired about
the financial status of the union and its  liabilities. The accused said that
he was informed that the accounts of the  transport union are Zero and that;
there was no functioning telephone facility  at the Union Office. He further
narrated that; he was told that the union is  having rental fee arrears of twenty
thousand dalasis for its office.
The  accused told the court that he has recommended to the union that it must
have  its communication facility and office and should be seen to be active
and that  with the approaching 22 July celebration, he advised his colleagues
to do  something, so that the union can be recognised by the government. The
accused  said he was asked to help in solving the financial crisis of the union
but urged  the executive members to give him reasonable time to study their
request.
At  this juncture, the Presiding Magistrate, Ayub Johnny Njie, cut the
testimony of  the accused short and the case was deferred to Thursday 27 September
2007 for  the continuation of his defence and testimony of other  witnesses.

In Lamin R. Darboe And Co Trial
Witness Cross  Examined
By Modou Jonga
The long protracted trial involving the state and  Mr. Lamin R. Darboe, UDP
Kombo East candidate in the last National Assembly  elections, and Buba Darboe,
proceeded for the first time in more than a year.  The trial, which is before
Magistrate Njie, started with the testimony of Morro  Bojang, as the first
prosecution witness, and his subsequent cross examination  by defence counsel
lawyer Ousainou Darboe.
In his testimony the witness noted  that he is a driver and that he can
recall an event on the 15 May last year. He  testified that after the Kombo East
Election, he carried people to Faraba to  congratulate the victorious
parliamentarian, but upon arrival at the Pirang  Bantaba, he stopped and waited for a
passenger.
Continuing his narration, the  witness said he saw people running towards the
praying ground and that he  followed them; that he found one Sainabou Touray
lying on the ground. He said  people were hitting each other and he started to
separate them.
According to  the witness, he held Sainabou’s hand to pull her up from the
ground and rescue  her from the crowd; that he went to one Sulayman and told
them to stop the  violence, for violence is fruitless and that he later got to
his vehicle. He  narrated that the APRC T- shirt worn by the said Sainabou
Touray was torn and  that he prevented someone from hitting somebody with a stick;
that he noticed  that those present during the fracas are not natives of Kombo
East; that he  cannot recognise and did not know the persons who tore the
shirt of Sainabou  Touray.
Testifying further, the witness said the accused persons were seen at  the
scene and that he approached the first accused and told him it is over and  that
the quarrelling ought to stop. The witness said he thought he has given his
statement to the police.
While being cross examined by defence Counsel Lawyer  Ousainou Darboe, the
witness agreed with the defence that Pirang is divided into  two, Berending and
Pirang; that the accused persons reside in Pirang while he  and the said
Sainabou Touray reside at Berending. The witness agreed with the  defence that the
residence of the accused persons is less than five meters from  the said
praying ground. He admitted that 15 May 2006 was the date when the  Kombo East
By-election results were announced and that the candidate who emerged  victorious
did not reside in Pirang. He said that the votes were counted at  Mandina-ba
but denied having on board passengers from the said counting centre.  While
admitting that he parked his vehicle just one compound away from that of  the
residence of the accused person, the witness denied fomenting trouble with  the
said Sainabou Touray and Sulayman among others and provoking the accused
persons. Contrary to the assertion of the defence counsel, the witness denied
being aware of the fact that on the night of 15 May 2006, the Mandina-ba police
upon the complaint of the first accused arrested four APRC supporters. He
denied  knowing that the said Sulayman Gassama and one Adboulie Gibba were arrested
by  the police.
At this juncture, lawyer Darboe put it to him that the assault  charges
against his clients were at some point withdrawn by the state but his  clients were
subsequently arraigned and charged. These actions are politically  motivated.
He further put it to him that the police officers at Mandina-ba  police post
acted accordingly by arresting the ‘trouble-makers’.
The witness  denied being aware that Yankuba Touray visited the said police
post on 16 May  2006, and ordered for the release of the arrested APRC
supporters and the  subsequent arrest of the UDP supporters. The prosecutor was
Corporal 413  Sanyang.