GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:09:07 EST
A while back someone I know flew all the way from Europe to the U.S to attend
what was billed as a Gammo. The principal attraction of the event was a
middle aged guy from Senegal who I later learned was affiliated with one of
the powerful brotherhoods that constitute the majority of Senegalese Muslims.
Diaspora Senegalese have a well established tradition of maintaining their
ties to the home based groups and would periodically invite the serigne to
come here to America to rekindle ties and nurture the relationship between
Serigne and Talubeh. Having been born in a family that essentially practiced
Islam in a simple and straightforward way devoid of the brotherhood
affiliations, I did not understand or appreciate the Serigne/Marabout-
Talubeh dynamics I saw manifested at this particular Gammo event my friend
crossed continents to attend. When I got to the Gammo venue around 4.00am to
pick my friend up, I ended up staying for the remaining two hours of the
event and what I saw    can only be described as something of a mixed bag. On
the one hand I was thrilled to see fellow Muslims congregate and bask in the
glory of the Lord and reminding each other on the virtues of faith with the
added bonus of a knowledgeable person offering services. The recitations were
beautifully and energetically delivered and the audience seem to be really on
a spiritual upswing. On the other hand I also sensed a profoundly unhealthy
dynamic that existed between the Serigne and his audience. It began with the
atmospherics such as the seating in which they had the Serigne perched up on
some kind of an elevated imperial chair on a small stage with a phalanx of
alternate volunteers doing everything from pretending to be fanning him when
it was a cold night to serving him snacks. There was also relentless
adulation from a core group of handlers that seemed to be designed to
validate the supposed stature of the Serigne to an audience already enamored
by him. I also sensed the Serigne expertly playing to these statements of awe
and adulation by occasionally dropping a tear or two in a display of
emotions. Incase some in the audience forgot, he reminded them that all of
the credit for whatever they may think he represents actually belonged to his
father who I gather was also a big Serigne. He also had on that night the
same kind of wide rimmed sunglasses and facial hair style his late father
sported. I have noticed that an important aspect of the Serigne concept
revolves around the perception and to the extent possible the reality of
continuity. That is the only way it can be a family thrust  and like royalty
it is very important to both maintain old supporters and woo new ones and
appearances are vital in that respect.  The serigne's handlers were very
clever in that they combined savvy marketing and high pitched evangelism to
hawk pictures of the Serigne and selected verses chosen for the loyal
Talubehs both of which are suitable for framing according to the peddlers.
The high pressure sales tactics worked brilliantly as veiled women and
Haftaned guys dug into their pockets to purchase merchandise. At the end of
the night I was left pondering this question: What is the exact nature of the
relationship between a Serigne and a Talubeh? Is it purely a religious bond?
Is it socio -religious? Is it a cultural  relationship? I do recognise that
it is ultimately upto the individual to chose in matters of faith. We are all
entitled to our own perceptions and interpreting religion such as the way
different schools of thought have done leaves room for practices that may
look unorthodox to some. Clearly supporters of these sects feel pretty good
about maintaining the clerical dynasties that function in their midst because
on that night i went to see that Gammo, the attendees displayed profound
gratitude and a real sense of spiritual renewal . I suspect that is why the
brotherhoods have not only lasted for as long as they did but continue to
thrive. For those of us who remain outside of the brotherhoods , the concept
of the Serigne remains unappealing. I believe quite a bit of our cultural
baggage has seeped into our practice of Islam over the years. That is why I
would much prefer to subsidise a religious school with a published and
acrredited curriculum than cater to the supposed stature and inherited wisdom
of a clerical dynasty. I just believe having a Serigne with two,threeand four
wives with dozens of underfed Talubehs who spend years doing studies that can
otherwise be accomplished in a far shorter duration in proper institutional
settings is a thing of the past.
    Karamba