GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:16:27 +0200
Sister Jabou Joh,

Quite right, President Jammeh will not now, admit of any responsibility for the suffering and misery his absent-minded leadership style has brought to Gambia. Thus, all the more reason for us to express with resounding constancy, our horror at his rebottled chicanery and obfuscating rhetoric. Here is a President who is unable to connect with his own failure to appoint competent secretaries of state in spite of the 1.3 million (his words)candidates he has to choose from!

Mr. Ebou Jallow's error, on the other hand, has been his consistent denigration of Jammeh's critics for making it utterly difficult for President Jammeh to atone. His arguments are quite understandable. But not acceptable. Mr. Jallow is recasting the very subtle subject of victimology into a new light. He says that President Jammeh's victims should not cry loudly for their tormentor's blood not only because they are themselves not free of moral opprobrium; but also because their clamouring for good presidential behaviour makes the President rightfully defensive - which , as we all know, means an irate, awesomely offensive President Jammeh.
Mr. Jallow needs to recognise the laws of  Newtonian physics at play here: that the reactions of Jammeh's opponents are in response to his actions; a simple case of cause and effect.

Thanks to you Sister Jabou Joh, Mr. Jallow seems to have taken the cue to begin turning his powerful perceptive abilities into convincing the President to change his ways. Read him:
"...Jammeh himself has to measure up to his earlier "justifications" in the wake of July 1994 coup less his words become empty slogans and promises in bad faith.  He has to prove his moral worth by leading a national
process of reconciliation, acknowledge his fatal mistakes, and open the gates of peaceful resolution".

I sincerely hope that Mr. Jallow will hence continue to encourage Jammeh to summon the moral courage to own up to the mess he created. The President would then have taken the first huge tentative step towards both reconciliation and national healing.

Momodou S Sidibeh