GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:53:48 -0400
Buhary, thanks again for your intervention. Most of the questions you posed,
you answered yourself. Again as demonstrated by my last posting yesterday,
the Alliance is looking FORWARD. We know the battle ahead. That battle is
with Yaya and about the future of our country.

I will seek to address your issues in chronological order. When I said that
the PDOIS and NCP will be treated in the way they deserve by me, you should
have asked yourself what these Parties deserve before you conclude that such
an utterance is a ‘mistake detrimental to the cause of the opposition’. For
all you know, PDOIS might ‘deserve’ the support of the Alliance if certain
things were to chance. I hate dwelling in the hypothetical, but I am
encouraged to do so because you cited various hypothetical situations. For
example, if PDOIS’ main campaign is focused towards the youths (where Yaya
claims to have the most support), then the Alliance will NOT bother PDOIS.
In that scenario, a PDOIS candidacy will hurt APRC more. On the other hand,
if PDOIS comes out swinging against the Alliance (including PPP) then PDOIS
‘deserves’ our condemnation and NOT our support. This is what you should
have occupied yourself first before you make conclusions about my choice of
words. You do not make conclusions and then ask questions.

I don’t know whether you have been reading my mails thoroughly. Otherwise,
you would not ask me whether I think that PDOIS’ and NCP’s decisions about
the Alliance is written in stone or not. How many times did I appeal to NCP
and PDOIS supporters to engage their leaders to try and change their
decisions? You even quoted me one such appeal. Obviously, I know that PDOIS
and NCP can change their minds for the better of the country. Talking about
antagonizing each other and doing the APRC dirty job for them, I hope that
was a rhetorical question on your part and you are NOT accusing me of such
despicable behavior. Check the archives and the chronology of events. Me and
Adama Bah (PDOIS stalwart) who first reported a ‘split’ in the Opposition
and start accusing people of shenanigans? Did I hear you admonishing Adama
Bah for what he did? You will NEVER hear me support APRC or criticize an
Opposition Party for the benefit of APRC. NEVER! From day one, not a single
G_L member worked harder than I did to foster peace and cooperation in this
Alliance (to include everyone). Few days ago I was accused of being a PPP
stooge. Today many will say that I am a UDP stooge. It does NOT bother me. I
know I can say from the top of my voice that while my detractors are
inconsistent (accusing me of being PPP one day and UDP the next), I have
consistently advocated for an Opposition Alliance.

Yes, I will react and put the record straight if I see PDOIS stalwarts
trying to undermine the good work Assan Musa Camara did in forming an
Alliance. Address the people bringing in antagonism in the Opposition. That
is NOT my forte.

Your question how PDOIS and NCP are going to be responsible (with APRC
supporters) for a Yaya ‘victory’) was answered by your very self in one of
your hypotheticals. If votes go to PDOIS that could have gone to the
Alliance and consequently Yaya wins (God forbid) who is responsible for
that? The Alliance because they did not send PDOIS a ‘proper’ invitation to
the Meeting? Well, I guess each of us is entitled to his view about who is
responsible for PDOIS’ decision not to partake in the Coalition Meeting.

I agree with you entirely that the Opposition Parties should first of all
seek to form an Alliance against Yaya. That is exactly what we have been
working for the past few months. The second best thing is for them to
operate on their own agendas and avoid stepping on each others toes as they
march to defeat Yaya. No quarrel there. I just hope that you convey the
message to your leaders on the ground as well. As demonstrated yesterday, I
have enough to write about and the Alliance leaders have enough to talk
about than attack PDOIS or NCP. I hope PDOIS and NCP also focus on Yaya and
stop attacking the Alliance (including PPP).

I take it too that your question about whose side the Alliance is on is also
a rhetorical one. You might have been absent from G_L for a time, but you
certainly did NOT miss all the calls from various quarters for an Opposition
Alliance. Virtually the whole Opposition was calling for the Parties to come
together. Even when PDOIS was saying that they preferred an Alliance in the
second round of voting, others were saying that we want an Alliance NOW.
Months ago, I myself wrote a ‘case for an Opposition Alliance’. People like
Ebrima Ceesay did the same. Jassey-Conteh, Joe Sambou, Jabou Joh, you name
it (am just talking about the ‘Js’). Gambians on the ground were calling for
an Alliance. People came out in droves to castigate others they thought were
disrupting an Alliance. When UDP wanted to postpone their trip to the U.S.
people went berserk saying that Ousainou Darboe does NOT want to talk about
an Alliance.

Now, you have your own Party saying all along that they preferred an
Alliance during the second round of voting and not NOW. Did you ever contact
them to convince them to do otherwise? We move from there and come to today.
I hope by now you have engaged your Party to convince them to rethink their
position and join the Alliance. Guess not!, because like Jassey-Conteh, you
are waiting for ‘official word’ from them. What do you call Adama Bah’s
narration? At the very least, can’t the Party dissociate itself from what
Bah said about PDOIS having been sidelined? Do you think it is conducive for
PDOIS operatives to try and pit NRP against a UDP/PPP conspiracy? UDP did
NOT go in there to get a presidential candidate. They went in there because
their supporters wanted them to be part of an Opposition Alliance and Assan
Musa Camara invited all the Parties to the Meeting. No secret concessions
were given to anyone as you try to insinuate. Before the Meeting, Camara
circulated a letter to all the Parties including PDOIS. Organizations like
MRDG(UK) circulated proposals to all the Parties including PDOIS. Those
proposals are the basis of the Coalition. Nothing more.

On your hypothetical about a Sidia Jatta or a SM Dibba candidacy, I guess
the only thing I can say is that you have a lot to learn about me. Buhary, I
am a man of my word. I am NOT in this for selfish motives. Like I said
before, I would have happily supported any candidate ‘from the CURRENT
Opposition leaders that the Alliance chose’. A PPP candidacy was the only
thing I have ever ruled out (because I thought the Opposition does Not have
the time to defend the PPP record). If Sidia Jatta was selected, I would be
his number one praise-singer. I support the Alliance and no single Party in
the country. I hope you get that straight now.

Again, I hope you articulate to your Party leaders the uphill task the
Alliance might face if PDOIS is not part of the Alliance. I already know
that. You are mixing the roles. I am NOT the one who is NOT joining an
Alliance because I feel left out. You are right we need all hands on deck. I
hope your Party also realize that.

Yes NCP can be a spoiler. But I find solace in the fact that former NCP
heavies that joined the UDP are still with UDP. Yes we need all votes we can
get. I said that yesterday and I asked for you to convince your leaders to
join the Coalition. But Dibba is a grown man. No one can force him to do
something he does not want to do. I guess I already addressed the issue
regarding whose fault it would be if the vote is split and Yaya end up
winning. But what is significant here is that people are calling for unity
even before the elections. We want to unite long before voting day and
energize the voters. Time is of the essence here. Why wait till one week
before election to unite when we can unite now?

On a point of correction about tactics in the Alliance. Let us get our facts
straight. The Alliance is NOT shutting out PDOIS and NCP because it is
confident that it can go it alone. PDOIS did NOT attend the Meeting and NCP
walked out. It is NOT an arrogant Alliance that shut them out. The Alliance
is NOT taking an anti-PDOIS stance. If you had opportunity to listen to
Radio broadcast from Banjul last night you will hear that Ousainou Darboe
(the leader of the Alliance) has already said that the door is open for
PDOIS and NCP to still join the Alliance. Those pronouncements should be
where you should focus. My pronouncements were a direct response to
pronouncements from characters like Adama Bah. I do NOT have time to foster
animosity between Opposition Parties. We are looking FORWARD. Most of what
you said is very correct. Unfortunately, it is addressed to the wrong
audience. If I were you, I would be busy talking to the PDOIS leadership and
people like Adama Bah if he is not part of that leadership.
KB