GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bambalaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:13:47 -0500
Crying Afar for the Gambia – Abdoulie A. Jallow, October 28, 2003

They've lied to us for so long
The times cometh to take a stand
Fight the fear and make a plan
No more dilly-dallies for we are grand

They took us hostage with plenty of fear
Telling us they are saviors with a difference
Fighting corruption and incompetence
They gave us hope for we had none
They gave us assurance with their guns
Only to find out it's all a game
You can figure it out in your hollow head
Agree or not we're all a walking dead

Again they come with a new disguise
Yelling at us with the same old lies
Schools here, schools there
Schools pretty much everywhere
And yet we keep seeing the worst
Working day and night with empty purse
And all we see is poverty and retardation

The teacher is teaching
The doctor is curing
The farmer is feeding
Yet our hearts are still bleeding
Abductions here, abductions there
Abductions, almost every where
And we hope and pray, and hope and pray
And we hope and pray everyday

The time hath cometh to realize
That so many years have come and gone
Are we for better or for worse?
With one step forward we are back two
Is it the miracle we have to wait for?
Here cometh the savior for better or for worse

Rise up we must, off our nerveless mindset
Work is what there is to be done with hindsight
You can say it's not in my back yard
Yet this mess knows no front yard
This ruination is heading in all directions

Revere the power that the Almighty gave you
Love yourself, your sons and your daughters
Don't let the love flow into the gutters
Revert to your mental capabilities
And bring out your Gambian sensibilities

All these steps to take one at a time
Toss the fear and bring up your plan
Perish we shall if we don't have a vision
That long road in life has all the signs
So, break the cycle and focus your minds
The time has come to fight the fight
Let's face the fright with all our might

Don't let the feign of heart kill the spirit
Raise your arrow and make your aim
Life is like a sniper at his game
If these messes still prevail
There will be only you and me to blame
So, let's face the truth it's up to you

Rise up we must, off our nerveless mindset
Work is what there is to be done with hindsight
You can say it's not in my back yard
Yet this mess knows no front yard
Stop cherishing these illusions
They can only help to strengthen our delusions

They took our motherland by force
Killed some of us and shut others down
Now we are wise and will not keep the frown
Bring up the plan and let's aim the aim
Don't let these thugs steal the game
We can hope for hope's sake and pray

But we will have to take matters up socially
The responsibility is to be taken personally
So, do for you what can you traditionally
To this present and your future you must be true
Make some time to focus on your mission

--
BambaLaye

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
-M.L King Jr.