GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:37:06 -0700
Fellow Gambians and friends of the Gambia, it is time
we start adopting an active role in determining the
future of our country instead of watching it go down
hill and just shaking our heads, falsely believing
that there is nothing we can do.  Below are the times
and venues for the planned demonstrations for Yahya
Jammeh's trip to New York.  I know some of you feel
that if you are seen at such events you may not be
able to visit Gambia for fear of reprisals.  But
remember that it was mere school children who on April
10 and 11, were brave enough to face guns with life
ammunition being shot at them and armed with nothing
but their believes in justice and their love for their
country, stood up to say "Enough is Enough"  If those
kids were brave enough to do so.  Me and You, who are
secure in our homes here in the US, should not be
afraid to attend a mere demonstration.  The Gambia is
our homeland and if we do not save it, if we do not
feel that it is worth sacrificing for, who will?  I
don't know about you, but I want to be able to say
that at least I tried.  I want to be able to say that
I did not just sit and watch while my country was
being drug to the mud by a bunch of inhumane bandits.
You may think that you cannot afford to miss a couple
of days at work, or take a trip to New York, or that
it is not worth the effort.  But if Yahya is left to
his own devices, and Gambia turns into a Sierra Leone,
until our whole country is left in shambles, our
families and friends murdered, or dispersed throughout
West Africa as refugees, our little brothers, sisters,
cousins, nieces, and nephews left somewhere without
their parents or any family members left to take care
of them, or lost somewhere without any means of us
tracing them or rendering help to them, then will you
be left to wish that you had tried something,
anything, to save your country.  And do not think that
it cannot happen in the Gambia.  For that is what I
naively used to think.  But who would have believed
that a massacre of children, the size of April 10, and
11 would have ever occurred in the Gambia?  Well it
did, and believe me the above painted scenarios are
not far off if each and every one of us does not act.
We sit somewhere and complain and blame and lament,
yet when it comes time to act, we all fall behind.
Well, picture your family and friends back home in
destitute or killed, brutally injured, or displaced as
refugees and if that is not enough to get you moving,
then I do not know what will.  Any little contribution
is better than nothing.  DO NOT WAIT UNTIL IT IS TOO
LATE.  Call your friends and families in New York and
the surroundings and ask them to attend, or forward
this E-mail to them.  Tell all your friends living
close by or in other states who may not know about it.
 We must take our destiny in our own hands and we must
refuse to let Gambia be next on the long list of
African tragedies.  The ball is in your court, let's
see how you play it.  No one can force you, but I hope
your conscience directs you.  We all agree that
numerous injustices have been carried out and that
something needs to be done, but most of us look to
others to do it.  Like Bob Marley said "Most people
think that a great god will come from the sky and take
away everything (the people's suffering) and make
everybody unite.  But now that you see the light,
stand up for your rights."

The Movement for the Restoration of Democracy in
Gambia, various organizations around the USA and
Canada,

concerned Senegalese and Friends of Gambia, plans a
peaceful rush hour vigil in front of the Grand Hyatt
[main

entrance 42nd street] on September 7, 2000
[4.00pm-8.00pm]; demonstration in front of the Gambia
Mission to

UN, September 8, 2000 [7.00am-9.00am] and police
escorted march to the United Nations, where Yahya

JAHANAMA will be misrepresenting Gambians and Africa
by addressing the UN General Assembly. We've

received a lot of inquiries from Gambians residing out
of state, regarding means of transportation to New
York,

please contact your local Gambian organizations or
setup a contact person and charter buses/vans/cars or
any

other means to participate in these events, solely for
our beloveth and alarming unstable Gambia.

REMEMBER OUR FALLEN HEROES/SHEROES. NEVER AGAIN WILL
LEVELHEADED GAMBIANS

=====
"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

                       ALSO

"NOTHING IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE ONLY QUESTION IS, WHETHER ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS DESIRED"