GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 10:17:24 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  51/2007, 4 - 6 May, 2007

Editorial
Society, Media and  Impunity
The Lessons Behind Press Freedom Day
Governments are supposed to  exercise authority without fear or favour,
affection or ill will, in accordance  with prescribed laws or constitutional
provisions. Impunity constitutes the  exercise of power outside the guards and
fences of the law, in gross disregard  of truth and justice. Press Freedom Day is
designed to remind government and  people of the need to respect freedom of
expression which is the foundation of  every society based on representation. In
short, representation goes hand in  hand with accountability. Accountabily is
impossible without scrutiny.   Scrutiny is meaningless without the right to
express or criticise what is wrong  and recommend what is right. Freedom of
expressiuon should therefore be  protected in every society. In a genuinely
democratic society, the Media serves  as an instrument for the amplification of the
voices of the people. In an open  society, there is great tolerance for
freedom of expression. Under  tyrannies,  there is great intolerance for freedom of
expression. This is  precisely the reason why the international community
utilises Press freedom day  to highlight the experiences of best and worst
practices so that our societies  may learn what to avoid and what to emulate,
As we commemorate World Press  Freedom Day, the Gambia Government, in
particular, and the Society, at large,  should ask whether The Gambia provides a good
or bad example regarding the  respect for and protection of press freedom.
Foroyaa wants the Government not  to dismiss the opinion of CPJ that The
Gambia ranks among the ten countries with  governments that have shown the least
respect for freedom of expression. A  country which ignores criticism cannot
grow. One fact that no one can dispute is  that the Gambian media has been very
evenhanded in scrutinising both the  Government and the Opposition. All
Gambians who follow the comments of Gambian  journalists at home and abroad would
notice that they are trying to be impartial  in their scrutiny of both the
Government and the Opposition. An honest  journalist cannot be partial in the
presentation of reports. The politically  tolerant cannot be offended by opinions
of others; on the contrary, one must  exercise one’s freedom of expression to
refute the opinions expressed by others.  It is in this regard that the
opposition in the Gambia has shown greater  tolerance than the ruling APRC.
It is a great tragedy that Citizen FM, SUD FM  and The Independent are still
unable to function. It is unacceptable that Chief  Manneh is still at large.
It is still amazing that the ruling APRC lacks the  competent personnel capable
of combating opinions with opinions instead of  relying on arrests and
detentions.
Any Party which can be threatened by the  ball of a pen is indeed an
intellectually weak party that is not fit to govern  in a knowledge based society of
the 21st century. We therefore hope that as a  society, the people and the
Government will strive to know the significance and  use of the Media to avoid
abuse of state authority and civic rights to the  detriment of the citizenry.
It is incontrovertible that the media houses that  are true to the profession
will make it their daily duty to provide outlet for  the expression of the
needs and aspirations of the people. This includes  opinions on how their
country is governed and how services are being delivered.  These opinions enable a
government to know what needs to be addressed and what  shortcomings to rectify.
In the same vein, the media enables the society to  transmit values and share
experiences or practices that can enhance liberty,  prosperity, recreation
and happiness. No modern society can function without a  free media which
publishes truth in good faith in the interest of the members of  society.
A Government which is sensitive to the needs and aspirations of a  people
must rely on information to serve as raw material for policy formulation.  It
must rely on information to assess the impact of the implementation of  policies.
This is why the media is indispensable to a democratic government  and
society.

GROUP JUBBO VS HON. SUKU SINGHATEH
COURT GIVES  ULTIMATUM
Honourable Suku Singhateh the National Assembly Member for Lower  Badibou,
who is also a businessman was dragged to court by a farmer’s  Association in
Upper Saloum called Group Jubbo?
On Wednesday 2 May, 2007  Justice Roche issued a writ of Fife for the Sheriff’
s Division of the High Court  to attach Suku’s properties. As a result of
this order on Thursday 3 May 2007,  people from the Sheriff’s Division went to
(his) Suku’s compound at Old Jeshwang  and attached the furniture in his
compound. He is given an ultimatum of seven  (7) days to comply with the court order
failing which the Sheriff’s Division  will execute the court order.

AT THE TREASON TRIAL
TAMSIR  JASSEH ALLEGES TORTURE, THREATS
By Fabakary B. Ceesay and Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Tamsir Jasseh, the Former Director of Immigration, and a businessman,  who
currently faces charges of treason at the High Court, has testified before
Justice Anin Yeboah on Wednesday, 2 May. Mr. Jasseh alleges that he was  subjected
to severe torture and threats before his statement was  obtained.
According to Mr. Jasseh, he was arrested at his residence at Kotu  on the
night of 24 March 2006, at around 10 to 11pm. He said that he was woken  up by a
knock on his window and was told by his watchman that there are people  who
wanted to see him. He said that there were lots of gunshots into the air and
banging on his door. He said that he came to the front door and saw a soldier
standing with an AK 47 and that he recognised him as Warrant Officer Tumbul
Tamba. “I then opened the door and saw my watchman screaming. He was being
beaten by soldiers.” Tamba told me that the watchman refused to obey them.
Unfortunately they were speaking to the watchman in Mandinka who is a Nigerian  and
did not understand what they were saying. Tamba ordered them to stop beating
him.”
Mr. Jasseh narrated that he was told by Tumbul Tamba that he was under
arrest but that when he requested to know why he was under arrest he was told  that
he would know when they reach there. He said that he was taken to Mile Two
Prison at maximum security wing at around midnight. He said that at around
2:30am he was escorted to the NIA headquarters by a group of young soldiers who
wore nets over their faces. He noted that he was handcuffed and made to lay
face  up in a Land Rover pick up. Mr. Jasseh told the court that he was taken to
a  room with about 25 men and was asked by Musa Jammeh what he knew about the
 alleged coup and that he denied any knowledge about it. “After several que
stions  they decided to tell me what I am supposed to know, questions were
coming from  all angles. There was a lot of disagreement among themselves, some are
saying  there was a coup and others are saying, it is only a mere suspicion.”
Mr. Jasseh  explained that he was told by Mr. Hydara, an NIA Officer, that
word had reached  the president that there was a coup plot. He said that Hydara
then asked the  soldiers to take him after he refused to write a statement. “
As we come  downstairs, we met the group that escorted me to the NIA and a
black plastic bag  was put over my head and I was escorted to the back of the
building, and asked  to kneel down. They were beating me and pouring very cold ice
water on me and it  lasted for twenty five (25) minutes. All those moments
they were asking me who  were involved. They asked if the Vice President was
involved, cabinet members  and Sheriff Dibba,” he explained. Jasseh indicated
that the torturing group was  being led by Musa Jammeh and including the late
Tumbul Tamba, Lance Corporal  Malick Jatta, Lance Corporal Mustapha Sanneh, Lance
Corporal Michael Correa,  Corporal Malick Jeng, Corporal Sana Manjang and
Corporal Nuha Badjie Mr. Jasseh  said that he was later taken back to the panel
and there Lance Corporal Malick  Jatta took out a 9mm gun and stuck it in his
mouth, and hold his cheeks, saying  to him “Do you think you are in the United
States?”. Jasseh added “I could smell  his mouth which was stinking with
Marijuana,”. Mr. Jassey said that it was then  that he accepted to do what they
wanted him to write. He said that Corporal  Lamin Cham then came into the place
with a piece of paper and told him that he  was to write what he knew about
the coup. He said that he told Lamin Cham that  the procedures are not proper
and that he needed a lawyer. He said that Lamin  Cham told him “Sir, the police
are only rubber stamps, we are not the ones  running the investigations.”
Jasseh noted that he wrote his statement at around  4:00am with Lamin Cham
dictating him. He added that he never knew the  independent witness Tijan Bojang and
that he never saw him on that night. He  said that, on several occasions, he
will be escorted to the NIA. Mr. Jasseh said  on the 25 March 2006, he was
taken to his residence by a group led by the late  Tumbul Tamba. He said that his
vehicle and some other properties were  confiscated. He said that on 6 April
he was taken to the NIA where he found  Sheriff Dibba, Mr. Jawla and Mariam
Denton, his lawyer. He noted that he did not  know what Mariam Denton was doing
there but that he knew that she was under  arrest. “I was asked to write about
those people but I refused. Warrant Officer  Jabang and Hydara told me that if
I don’t they will step out and soldiers will  step in and I knew what that
meant, I will be tortured and the last thing I  would want was for the soldiers
to step in,” he explained. He said he went ahead  to write in the presence of
Lamin Cham. He explained that on the 22 June 2006,  he was escorted with four
other accused persons, namely, Alieu Jobe, Omar Faal  Keita, Bunja Darboe and
M.A Bah. He said that he was asked to copy from another  paper word for word.
He said that he complained to them that he is under the  remand of the court
and that he requested for his lawyer, Lamin Camara. He said  that they told him
that if he does not write they will put him in the NIA Cell.  Based on the
threats, he said he decided to copy directly. He complained that he  never wrote
that statement voluntarily but that under force and fear for his  life. He n
oted that he never knew the independent witness Babou Loum prior to  his
testimony in court. He narrated that the day he was taken before GRTS he was  asked
to read out his statement five (5) times. He said that on that day, he was  in
the room with Tumbul Tamba, Hydara, Musa Jammeh and Harry Sambou, the then
Director of NIA.
During cross examination by state counsel, E.O  Fagbenle,  Jasseh said that
he was once a Deputy Inspector General of  Police and Director of Immigration.
He said that he had served in the United  States Marines. He said that coup d’
etat are military offences. He said that he  had never heard of any coup plot
by United States soldiers. Mr. Jasseh denied  that he went to see his lawyer
in the evening of 22 March 2006 to ask for advice  concerning legal
implications. He denied being adviced by his lawyer to  cooperate with the authorities.
He lamented that everything he wrote in  connection to the alleged coup was
forced on him. He said that he does not know  the names of the soldiers who wore
nets over their faces. He said that he new  Tumbul Tamba at his house on the
night of his arrest when Tumbul introduced  himself to him. He noted that he
does not know the names of the people at the  panel room who were about twenty
five people. He said that he told the panel  that he knew nothing about the
alleged coup plot. He said that he copied the  statement in five (5) minutes.
When asked if he can copy the same statement  within five minutes in court, he
said, “If the court can put me in the same  mood, where soldiers beat me up, I
can write it in five minutes.” He asserted  that all what he said over GRTS was
what they wanted him to say. He indicated  that Sheriff Dibba he mentioned
was the former Speaker of the National Assembly.  He said that he met Mr. Dibba
at the NIA and as he was taken back to Mile Two  Prison, Mr. Dibba remained at
the NIA. Cross examination continuous at the next  sitting.

OMAR NDOW DETAINED
By Bubacarr K. Sowe and  Fabakary B. Ceesay
Omar Ndow, former-Managing Director of Gamtel, who is  facing six economic
crime charges at the High Court, is still in Police Custody  following his
arrest on Wednesday, April 25, 2007.
Police Spokesman,  Assistant Superintendent of Police, Famara Jobarteh, on
Wednesday, confirmed  that Mr. Ndow is re-arrested and is in detention. Mr. Ndow
was escorted to the  High Court by the Police on Wednesday, May 2, but his
matter was not called. The  Police Spokesman revealed that some developments
emerged in Ndow’s matter and  that is why he was re-arrested.
“He is being investigated among other things,  such as disobedience to
statutory duties as a civil servant,” ASP Jobarteh told  Foroyaa.
He added that if their investigations are finished and it proved  that Ndow
did something, he may be charged and taken to court.
Mr. Ndow is  already being tried before Justice Monageng on six economic
crime charges.
Ndow is yet to take his plea.

FORMER SIBANOR  STATION
OFFICER RELEASED
By Modou Jonga and Yaya Dampha
Foroyaa has  been reliably informed that the former station officer of
Sibanor Police  Station, in the Foni Bintang district, ASP Abdoulie Colley, has been
released by  the authorities.
According to family sources, Assistant Superintendent Colley  was, on Monday
1 May, 2007 released from detention at the State Central Prison  where he was
reportedly held incommunicado.
ASP Colley, according to sources  was initially detained after his arrest on
14 August 2006 at Janjanbureh Prison  and later transferred to the State
Central Prison.
With no reason advanced by  the authorities for his arrest and subsequent
incommunicado detention, sources  revealed that ASP Colley’s arrest came in the
wake of intense fighting in the  Senegalese region of Casamance last year, when
he was on patrol near the border.
Contrary to the law and requirement of the constitution, ASP Colley has
never been arraigned before any court of law.
When contacted, the Police PRO,  ASP Jobarteh, confirmed the release of ASP
Colley but said he was yet to  ascertain the condition of his release.

POEM
A Tribute  to Comrade Ebou Madi Sillah
IF I COULD
Comrade Ebou, if I could, I know I  can,
I will sing you the song of Baninde.
For you have said no to  oppression
For you have defied the oppressor through your work and  deed.

If I could, I think I can
Praise you for putting back the  honour of the meek and the pecked.
If I could,
I think I can,
Thank you  for making us see that Art is change
And change is art.

If I  could
I think I can
Agree with you that Art lives forever while men and  women come and go.

Comrade Ebou, while we put you to rest and bid  our farewells,
We thank you again for the wisdom you bequeath to us -
The  knowledge that Art is for ever
And that knowledge is power!

By  Baaba Sillah

FOCUS ON POLITICS
THE CULTURE OF “GET RICH  QUICK”
WAS THE ORDER OF THE DAY
With Suwaibou Touray
We have been  focusing on politics from pre-colonial to post independence
era. In the last  issue, we have mentioned underground movements and clandestine
leaflets such as  the “VOICE.”
Let us continue from were we had stopped. The year 1979 started  with a
mini-cabinet reshuffle on January 10th. Mr. B.K.L Sanyang, who was  Minister of
Works and Communications, was replaced with Mr. I. B. A Kelepha  Samba, Former
Parliamentary Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Labour, and  Social Welfare.
Honourable Mrs. Louise N. Njie, a nominated member, was made the
parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of health, Labour and Social Welfare.
The  British Government which had always been pampering The Gambia with
annual aid  grants had done it again. The country had been enjoying these annual
aids from  its former colonial master since 1970. The PPP always attacked those
pessimists,  including the British, who expressed the view in 1964 as to
whether The Gambia  could be a viable independent nation. They always cited Sir
Dawda’s leadership  as the fundamental reason why the country was forging ahead.
But critics also  did question whether without the annual aid grants from
Britain, the country  could manage its affairs. The aid grants of 10 million
pounds financed capital  projects during the first and second five year Development
Plans; such as the  Lady Chilel maritime vessel, Livestock Marketing Board
Cattle barge, New  Abattoir at Yundum, X-ray machines for Bansang and Royal
Victoria Hospitals, New  Children’s Wing, facilities upgraded at Bansang,
communication equipment, pilot  programme of maternal and child health centres, rural
piped water supply project  and the establishment of a depot for the then
Field Force Pioneer Unit (PU) at  Farafeni, and so on and so forth. Some saw these
as Britain cleansing her  conscience by bailing her former tiny helpless
colony out.
The incidence of  serious crimes, that the period witnessed, also continued
unabated. The  president could no longer be silent about the issue. In both the
2nd congress of  the PPP at Fajara Hotel and in his annual address of the
parliament, he spoke  about it and asked the police to deal strongly with it.
The then Inspector  General of Police vowed to curtail the crime rate in the
country. The police  started to attack known criminal hideouts. According to
the Outlook, the police  un-expectedly closed in at the back of Albert Market,
commonly known as the  “POOL”, and arrested all those they met there.
The country was also alarmed  by the white collar crimes during the period. A
lot of theft cases were reported  or uncovered in some government
departments, but mainly at the then Gambia  Commercial and Development Bank. Apart from
the huge theft of 2 million CFA at  the bank which was about to be smuggled to
Europe, many other cases were  reported, in addition to the half a million
dalasi theft case at the GCDB. All  these and more compelled the president to
condemn the perpetrators. He described  them as people who wanted to get rich
quick at the expense of the people.
The  situation of crime was getting out of hand. Many thought that it was an
organised crime syndicate operating in Banjul. A curfew of some sort had to
be  enforced by the police in Banjul . All those moving without any justifiable
 cause were to be arrested by the police. Did that quell the action of the
actors? Many thought it had infact made the situation worse. They said there
were not enough police officers to patrol the streets and with the curfew
people  simply went indoors leaving only the perpetrators to terrorize property
owners.
While the police were concentrating on the petty thieves, the arsonists,
whether by design or accident, continued. A serious arson was reported at the
offices of Shell company’s fuel tanks at Dobson Street in Banjul on Wednesday
6th September 1979. The Outlook called it a mysterious fire. It was being
wondered how such a blaze could have reached the spot of the workmen which was  at
quite a distance.
As you can see, the country in 1979 was experiencing the  upsurge of petty
crimes up to the extent of imposing a night curfew in Banjul.  On the other
hand, white collar crimes also intensified within the civil service  by people
wanting to get rich quick. But the year also experienced the increase  in school
enrolment with the new education policy. According to the Gambia  Outlook,
Parents and guardians of school children in the Kombos became desperate  and
protested vigorously when they learnt that their newly admitted children in  the
schools had no furniture at their disposal. They saw it as a shame to see
children sitting on the classroom floors. Little did they know that such a
situation was the order of the day in the provinces. Many who could afford it
simply bought furniture for their children leaving the poor to sit on the floor.
It was what was called “Education with tears.”
1979 was crowned with a big  hope. Chevron Oil Company, with a subsidiary of
the Standard oil company of  California in the USA, sought permission from the
Government for oil drilling  speculation in the Gambia. License was issued
out to them with the realization  that they were willing to undertake the
exploration at their exclusive expense.  According to records, the total sum for the
operation was D18 million dalasis  but they would be operating at a minimum
cost of D250,000 per day. This was the  first time that an oil drilling company
visited the Gambia. The ship, the MV  Pellerin had 101 berths in single, twin
and 4 berth cabin including 4 in  hospital. So it was a huge ship, a BP which
located its drills at Farafenni and  Kanifing. A huge rumour began to spread
that oil had been discovered in the  county and Americans have come to drill
it. The rumour intensified when the  president, with a team, left Banjul in a
British helicopter for on the spot  inspection check of the “Liquid Gold.”
Some said this company could not leave  all the way from America to come to
the Gambia without having evidence of oil in  the Gambia. They did not know the
difference between prospecting and drilling.
How Did The Economy Fare In 1979?
Mr. Langley’s banner said everybody was  tired. What was the economic
situation in 1978?
According to a booklet  published by the National Executive Committee of the
ruling PPP, “A BETTER LIFE  FOR OUR PEOPLE,” with a sub-title “Achievements
of the People’s Progressive  Party 1962-1979" The total revenue in the
financial year, ending in June 1977  amounted to D60.5 million dalasis; that indirect
taxes (mainly taxes on  international trade) accounted for almost two-thirds
of total revenue and direct  taxes for about 14%. According to this booklet, a
special tax, National  Development Levy, was introduced for the first time in
1976/77. It imposed a  levy of 10% on salaried workers, public or private
would be required to pay.  Only farmers and pensioners were exempted.
Secondly the second five year  plan suffered from a low level of domestic
savings as well as heavy reliance on  external resources. According to this PPP
booklet, 85% of the total investment  was to be financed by foreign capital
assistance.
So as you can see, due to  the low income level of The Gambia, the potential
for generating domestic  savings has been limited and therefore the country
relied heavily on foreign  assistance for the implementation of its development
programmes. This  acceleration in foreign aid inflows in the recent past, the
booklet said, has  had important consequences for the hitherto limited
indebtedness of the country.  According to records, the total public debt outstanding
increased from D11  million in 1972 to D66 million in March 1979. Records
also showed that the  foreign loans had been mainly contracted on concessionary
terms thereby making  the debt servicing burden to continue to be relative to
current government  expenditure, export receipts and national income.
According to the PPP, the  expectation was that other donor countries would
convert their loans to the  least developed countries into grants like it was
done by the United Kingdom.  This was what tempted the government to take more
loans not only from European  countries but also from the Middle East who did
not do as anticipated.
The  other bottleneck was the fact that financing of future development
programmes  and projects constituted the mobilization of the necessary
complementary  domestic resources.
The average, from 15% to 20% of development project  investments had to be
financed by Local funds but as shown by the records, the  traditional sources of
these counter-part funds, were transfers from the  accumulated GPMB reserves
and Central Government savings which the experts said  could not make
substantial contributions to the development fund.
What  option did this summary leave for the Government? The only option was
to take  more and more foreign loans even for the local contributions to
projects,  thereby steadily reducing the small resource-less country from least
developed  country status to the status of HIPC (Highly Indebted Poor Country)
status.

JUDGMENT DATE SET FOR SENEGALESE CUSTOM OFFICIALS’  CASE
By Yaya Bajo
The Kanifing Magistrate Court will on Monday deliver  judgment on the
protracted criminal trial involving the five Senegalese custom  officials who are
charged with possession and importation of fire arms in The  Gambia.
The submission that the court lacks jurisdiction to hear the matter  was
overruled by the court.
Defence counsel, Antouman Gaye told the court  that he had filed two
applications at the High Court concerning the application  for bail for his clients
and the fact that the court lacks jurisdiction to hear  the matter. Merley Wood,
the prosecutor reacted to the defence counsel’s  applications by noting that
the application for the bail was rejected because  the accused persons did not
fulfill the bail condition despite the fact that  they have been in custody
since 26th March, 2007. “All the evidence has been  given, so I would urge my
learned friend to address the court,” she  adduced.
The presiding Magistrate, Pa Harry Jammeh ruled that the fact that  there is
a bail application at the High Court would not delay the matter. He  therefore
overruled the defence counsel’s applications and asked the prosecutor  to
proceed. Merley Wood then submitted her address in written form which was
accepted by the presiding Magistrate. The case was therefore adjourned to 7th  May,
2007 at 4pm for judgment.

ALLEGED HUSBAND MURDERER TO BE  MENTALLY EXAMINED
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Modou Lamin Drammeh, the counsel  for Tabara Samba, who is facing a charge of
murder, has made an application  before the Kanifing Magistrate Court for the
accused to be taken for a  psychiatric examination. Mr. Drammeh made this
application, on Wednesday 2 May.  before Magistrate Pa Harry Jammeh.
Mr. Drammeh said that the accused had  suffered from shock in the past and
that may have led her to be mentally sick.  Magistrate Jammeh upheld the
application and ordered the accused to be brought  back to court on 7 May 2007. Prior
to the defence’s application, the prosecution  had called four witnesses to
testify. PW 4, Ousman Jarjue, who is said to be a  neighbour of the deceased
(Ebrima Nyan) told the court that on the 7 March, at  around 2:15am, he heard
the deceased shouting. He said he rushed to find out  what was going on. He said
he saw the deceased rushing to the bath room and that  he (Jarjue) called him
(Nyan) and asked him why he was shouting. Jarjue  indicated that the deceased
told him that they poured hot water on him. Jarjue  said that he advised the
victim to go to the hospital but that the accused  person (Tabara) told him
that it was not a problem, and that may be the victim  was dreaming. He said
that he could not get inside to help the  victim.
PW5-Lamin Conteh said that in the month of March at around 2:00am, he  heard
a knock on his door and that he opened. He said he found the deceased
standing by the door. Mr. Conteh said that the accused (Tabara) told him that  the
deceased was accusing her of pouring hot water on him. He added that he  heard
the deceased telling his mother that the accused poured hot water on him  while
he was sleeping. He said that the deceased demanded the keys to the house
from the accused and that she threw the keys on the ground. He testified that
the accused picked up the keys herself and said that she wanted to take her
dress from the house. Conteh asserted that while they board a car to go to the
hospital, the accused left for home. He noted that upon their return to the
house, they found out that the accused has already wiped out some stains and
left some unwiped. He added that she also overturned the bed mattress (sponge)
and that when they lifted it, it was stained with oil.
PW6-Jikiba Sanneh a  police detective attached to the Serious Crime Unit at
Banjul, said he was  responsible for taking photographs. He said that he took
five (5) pictures of  the deceased at the mortuary in Banjul. At this juncture,
the photos were shown  to the accused person and she started shedding tears.
The photos were tendered  as exhibits. PW7 first class 1855 Modou Lamin
Jabang, said that he was assigned  to interview the victim on his hospital bed at
the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of  the RVTH. Mr. Jabang told the court that the
deceased told him that on the 7  March while he and the accused were watching
TV, he requested for them to go to  bed, but that the accused said she was
watching TV. He said the deceased told  him that he left the accused watching TV
while he went to bed. Jabang indicated  that the deceased told him that while
he was in bed, he saw the accused coming  in and out of the room, watching him.
Jabang said that he was told by the  deceased that the accused came with some
liquid but that he (deceased) thought  that it was hot water. Jabang said
that the deceased told him that he went into  the shower to change his clothes
and later went to Lamtoro Clinic.
Mrs.  Tabara Samba is standing trial for allegedly pouring hot oil on her
husband,  which led to his untimely death. She pleaded not guilty to the
charges.

COURT TO RULE ON MAIMUNA TAAL’S “NO CASE  SUBMISSION”
By Bubacarr K. Sowe and Fabakary B. Ceesay
Justice Sanji  Monageng is expected to make a ruling on the reply made by the
state on Maimuna  Taal’s submission of no case to answer.
Defence lawyers normally make a  submission of no case to answer when they
are of the opinion that the  prosecution has not adduced sufficient evidence to
warrant a defendant to enter  the witness box.
On Wednesday, defence counsel Antouman Gaye argued at the  High Court that
the reply made by the state counsel is full of  misrepresentations of the
evidence.
State counsel, Marie Saine, told the  court that her address is based on her
record.
Gaye said that the address  should be based on the court’s records; and that
is what should prevail.
Mr.  Gaye again urged the court to acquit and discharge the accused person.
Taal,  who was Directress General of the Gambia Civil Aviation Authority
(GCAA) is  facing seven charges. The date for the ruling is not known. Mr. Gaye
has  informed Foroyaa that the judge will serve a notice of the date to both
parties.

DUDU KASSA JAATA AND CO. ARRAIGNED IN COURT
By  Modou Jonga
Mr. Dudu Kassa Jaata and Natoma Conteh, both supporters of  the United
Democratic Party (UDP), were arraigned at the Brikama Magistrate  Court, before
Magistrate Martins on assault charges.
The accused persons who  pleaded not guilty, are jointly charged for
assaulting one Hawa Jatta, thereby  causing the complainant actual bodily harm. The
alleged joint assault is said to  have been committed on 15 May, 2006 at Pirang
village, in the Kombo East  District.
On Wednesday 2 May, 2007 the said case could not proceed due to the  absence
of the presiding Magistrate, Assan Martins. The case was thus adjourned  to
Monday 21 May.
Our readers could recall, that the first accused person,  Dudu Kassa Jaata,
is currently standing trial with seven others before  Magistrate Abdoulie
Mbacke, of the Kanifing Magistrates’ Court, on charges of  arming themselves in
public and obstructing Police Officers while executing  their duties.

FEATURE
On Oppression and the  Oppressed
By Baba Galleh Jallow
Clearly, one of the most intractable  problems facing Africa today is the
problem of oppression. The continent is  littered with an ugly coterie of
oppressive political regimes as well as a  critical mass of people trying to resist
this oppression, getting stigmatized,  jailed, maimed, exiled, and killed in
the process. One of the means at the  disposal of this critical mass of
oppressed “freedom fighters” is the  acquisition of knowledge and a greater
understanding of the nature of the  oppressor in relation to themselves, the oppressed.
For it is not enough that we  know the oppressor; we also need to know
ourselves as people trying to bring  about an end to oppression. This short essay is
meant as a modest contribution  to that self-knowledge and knowledge of the
nature of oppression.
The  oppressor, whatever his motivations, seeks to distort the humanity of
the  oppressed. He seeks to retard the growth of the people, chops off any
emerging  buds of popular progress, plucks out any spots of light and sight, seals
tight  any outlets of enlightenment, and menacingly hovers over the heads of
the  oppressed in order to instill maximum terror and compliance through a
regime of  actual or potential violence, physical and psychological. Oppression
manifests  itself as a form of violence because it constitutes a denial of full
humanity to  the oppressed; because it denies people the possibility of
self-affirmation, the  pursuit of one’s right to self-fulfillment as a full human
being. Oppression is  violence because the oppressor appropriates to himself all
rights of being, of  self-fulfillment, of the enjoyment of unrestricted
freedoms, of a certain state  of exception in which he stands outside the law,
while engaging the law to  impose an unquestionable regime of hegemony on the
people. As the Brazilian  writer Paulo Freire puts it, “The oppressor
consciousness tends to transform  everything surrounding it into an object of its
domination. The earth, property,  production, the creation of people, people
themselves, time – everything is  reduced to the status of objects at its disposal.”
Everything within its  territory, in effect, is considered the personal
property of the oppressor and  everything within its territory that refuses to be
owned, domesticated, and  controlled must either be eliminated or neutralized.
Any individual or  institution within this space that refuses to be turned into
a dehumanized,  passive, and unquestioning object is regarded as a subversive
entity.
We do  not need to look far to see the manifestation of this oppressive
reality. We do  not need to look far to see oppressors turning on the oppressed and
calling them  evil beings, subversive liars, unpatriotic and envious demons,
enemies of  progress and other negative imaginaries because they refuse to be
turned into  lifeless objects and possessions of the oppressor to be exploited
and discarded  at will. The oppressor does not see that he is the source of
the resistance he  is confronted with, that the oppressed are merely reacting
to his untenable  claims to their ownership and the ownership of the collective
property that is  the nation-state, that they are simply following the
natural and healthy course  of reaffirming and pursuing their inalienable right to
remain fully human, to  refuse to be dehumanized, objectified and relegated to
the status of nonentities  who must live the rest of their lives in a state of
tortured  nothingness.
Faced with the prospect of being rendered null and void as human  beings even
as they live the one and only single life they have, it is the  natural
vocation of a conscious people to resist oppression, to refuse to be  terrorized
and dehumanized through engagement in an uncompromising regime of
self-humanization, self-expression, and the total rejection of the unjust  oppressive order
bolstered by a regime of violence and intimidation. While the  goal of the
oppressed must never be the counter-oppression of the oppressor, the  message to
the oppressor must be couched in no uncertain terms. It must be made  loud
and clear to the oppressor that the oppressed refuses to be dehumanized and
objectified and that the oppressed insists on the enjoyment of their right to
full humanity – all those rights that come with the reality of being fully
human. But while the possibility of becoming human and ending oppression must
always be made implicit in the message to the oppressor, the person who seeks to
end oppression must never fall to the temptation of trying to pacify the
oppressor because this, as Freire tells us again, makes the person who seeks
justice a dispenser of false generosity, an adherent to a regime of circular
self-truths who grows strangely agitated whenever any of those self-truths are
challenged or questioned.
History is replete with examples of “freedom  fighters” who become
oppressors as soon as they assume positions of power. This  is because at the critical
moment of their fight against oppression, they had  conceived a fear of
freedom itself. They had wavered between their initial  principled positions of
uncompromising opponents of oppression and a newly  assumed position of a fake
perception of pacification as a more viable  alternative and line of defense
against oppression. They tend to edge closer to  the oppressor, granting him a
certain veiled acceptance through a lame regime of  rationalizations and
apologetics, through a lame appeal to reason and fairness,  and by citing lame
pointers to the reality of an unalterable imperfection of  being, of life, the
necessity of compromise in the service of the exigencies of  daily life. They are
caught between the desire for freedom and a cold,  belly-numbing fear of freedom
or its possibility. They swing and waver with  dizzying uncertainty and tend,
to quote Freire again, “to prefer the security of  conformity . . . to the
creative communion produced by freedom and even the  pursuit of freedom.”  They
experience this dilemma because from the very  beginning, what they really “
fought” for was not the full liberation and full  humanization of society, but
the privilege, perhaps subconscious, of identifying  with the oppressor, of
enjoying the privileges enjoyed by the oppressor, of the  opportunity to rise to
the level of the oppressor and share in the glittering  trappings of the
oppressor’s perceived high station. This  freedom-fighter-turned-oppressor started
out really focusing on the pursuit of  individual or class interests rather
than the interests of the social  collectivity. Such a pursuit inevitably
distorts and corrupts his mission so  that he becomes an oppressor as soon as he
becomes powerful enough. It is an  absolute prerequisite for one who desires to
resist oppressive dehumanization  that he must lose sight of individual and
class interests and set his sights  upon the interests of the popular
collectivity. One cannot be free from the  “oppressor consciousness” so long as one is
obsessed with the protection or  preservation of individual or class interests.
While seeking to preserve  individual or class interests might appear the
sensible thing to do in an  environment of oppression, it is in reality a
dangerous path to perdition. The  ancient African aphorism that you cannot dance and
dig at the same time  exemplifies the folly of trying to rationalize
oppression even as we pose as  enemies of oppression and injustice.
The person who desires freedom from  oppression must therefore assume a
principled and uncompromising posture of  rejection of oppression. Short of
engaging in physical violence, the person who  seeks liberation must relentlessly
shove bitter doses of truth medicine down the  throat of the oppressor. And
equally important, such a person must see the  current oppressive situation not as
a hopeless permanent situation, or a  situation that has to be endured at all
costs, but as a situation that, like all  others, is located within the
ever-rotating wheel of life and must therefore one  day pass from actuality to
potentiality or non-being. The person who seeks  liberation must therefore engage
in a regime of resistance perpetually inspired  by an unshakeable conviction
that oppression is to be rejected without  qualification, and that what comes
next must be carefully and constantly  contemplated and visualized every step of
the way.