GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:29:41 EDT
Friends,

As I engage in projects, I intend to share the How-Tos with you. I hope I
can save you some money and bring joy and value to you.

The first project I am working on is a flower island in the front yard. The
home used to have three more large oak trees in the front-yard but the
previous  owners of 8 years ago had cut them down. Since I moved into the home 8
years  ago, I have wondered why those beautiful oak trees were done away with and
three  others remained. I could not reach or locate the previous owners who
had made  that decision but through some research, I found out that the main
county water  supply line is close to the site of two of the trees. So perhaps
the roots of  those two trees had encumbered the water line or threaten to tie
it up into  knots. The third tree though was some 50 yards away from the water
line but only  10 feet from the driveway. I have come to the conclusion that
it was too close  to the asphalt driveway and may have contributed to cracks in
the driveway. I  had since expanded the driveway with a new pour of concrete
to enable us  and our guests to turn around on the property instead of back
out into the  street. I am pleased that decision may have forestalled an
accident or two.  So midway between two of the fallen trees, I have just planted a
Japanese Red  maple. This plant grows to about 20ft high and 20 ft. wide. I plan
to trim  it on the top and sides so it can grow shorter, more rounded, and
afford more  comprehensive shade without leaning over the driveway much to
encumber trucks.  It is a deciduous tree with red purple leaves which fade to green
fall foliage.  It has cold Hardiness of
-25 celcius and requires full sunlight. It should do very well at that
location and with Kentucky temperatures. I got the 5-gallon bucket specimen and
here's how I planted it:

1. Dig a hole about 2ft. in upper diameter narrowing to 11/2 ft  at the
bottom.
2. If you encounter clay, apply about 3 inches of potting soil and  spread in
the hole.
3. Remove the plant from its pot, break the young roots free from  having
been contorted in the pot.
4. Place plant in the prepared hole and place potting soil around the  roots.
5. Spread mulch (pine bark or other) on top of the new soil to prevent
erosion and retain the water.
6. Water generously, and continue to water regularly (each day) for a  week
until the transplant shock is mitigated.
7. Enjoy your tree as you trim yearly with your wife and or children.

This procedure should work for any seedling or plant. The idea is to dig a
hole about twice the size of the pot in which the plant came narrowing ever so
slightly as you dig. Water newly transplanted seedling/plants to mitigate
shock  and encourage healthy growth. Use mulch to protect the soil until plant is
 established.

In my next installment, I will share with you how I am building a circular
flower-island next to this Japanese Red Maple I just planted. That project
1(b) is taking a week of 3-hours/day. It is coming along nicely. I am using
garden blocks for border and 3 clusters of hibiscus, indian Hawthorne, roses,
Sedum, Dianthus and 2 varieties of juniper and 1 of spruce for ground  cover. I
am covering the bare soil again with red mulch. See you soon. If  you hire a
landscaper, the cost ($700.00/Labour & $800.00/materials)  will run you about
$1,500.00 You decide. Plus Kids love to do fun  garden stuff and is enjoyable.

listings at AOL Autos.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい