GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 03:33:45 -0800
       By Akaleke, Our Banjul Correspondent

The three arrested NADD executive members Halifa Sallah, Omar Jallow and
Hamat Bah are being threatened  with death by the President Yahya Jammeh,
The  ALLGAMBIAN online Newspaper can reveal.

According to highly placed sources close to the President's office, the
President made  such threats against  the opposition in a briefing with
security chiefs yesterday in his office in Banjul. The sources quoted the
President as saying " We must take every possible action or step to make
sure that this bad elements don't witness the 2006 Presidential election,
i don't care how we do it, but all I  want is for them not to witness the
election".

The source also quoted the President as saying " I know every Gambian is
saying that their arrest is politically motivated, but I  will teach them
a lesson". Reports has it that Hamat Bah and Omar Jallow are still held at
the state central prison Mile two, which Halifa Sallah is still in the
hands of the NIAS.

When contacted to react to such threats, Lamin Waa Juwara former leader of
National Democratic Action Movement (NDAM) and an Executive member of NADD
said " Is is not a surprise to hear such irresponsible comments from
Jammeh as he is a murderer and a dictator, but we the NADD members  will
stay connected and will not allow any differences among us" Waa Juwara
continues to say " Jammeh will be held accountable if anything happens to
our colleagues and whenever NADD comes to power Jammeh will be brought
before the law for crimes against humanity and corruption"

Adding his reaction was  Lawyer Ousinou Darboe,  former leader of United
Democratic Party (UDP) and also an executive member of NADD  who says "
Once again Yahya Jammie has violated our colleagues constitutional rights
by detaining them for more than 72 hours and no charges have yet be
brought against them, this is because he only not dictates Gambians, but
also the judiciary which should be an independent body. Our courts are not
very legitimate because they cannot take any action without the order of
the president, they only act in his pleasure" he concludes

It could be recalled that the President accused the opposition of being
behind the border problem between The Gambia and Senegal by giving the
senegalese government false information. The President also  said in his
Eid message to Gambians " Thank God that we have got their names and these
people will not witness the 2006 presidential elections" this statement
prompted the opposition fraternity to react with a damning letter to the
President, which lead to their subsequent arrest and detention.

Meanwhile, sources hinted that the state is planning to file treason
charges against the detained NADD officials.  One report said the
detainees will likely appear in court today to face the indictments
brought against them by the state.  Lawyer  Antouman Gaye is said to
handling the detention case involving the NADD officials.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい