GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:53:03 GMT
Gambia-L:

Read below a write up on BIVAC from one of my sources in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: BIVAC will end up holding the can
>Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:25:34 GMT

>Mr.Ceesay,
>No, this is not coming from Cheyassin. We are still waiting for him to be
>connected since, according to Tombong, Minister of Dis-information, the AG
>had already been assigned an e-mail address. So, why is it then taking so
>long to connect him? I am now convinced, Ebrima, that the e-mail you
>received actually came from Cheyassin himself. He perhaps was carpeted by
>Yahya for his response which was correct in all details of the case, except
>for the spin he put on it.
>Solomon Njai requested the names and addresses of the Members of the
>National Assembly for the purpose of a letter writing campaign; not a bad
>idea. I would suggest that either Karamba Touray (UPD Rep. in the US) or
>Halifa Sallah of PDOIS. Halifa could do the L a service by providing the
>information provided that it is not against the law. Someone else would
>have to contact Halifa on this issue.
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ebrima, I had just returned from a meeting at State House, and thought I
should write this piece on BIVAC for the L. It is a bit technical, but I
hope the members of the L would get the essence of it. Anyway, I wish I
could make it simpler.

Ebrima, as you know, I have been one of the strong opponents of the presence
of BIVAC in The Gambia. I strongly believe that they (BIVAC) have added no
value to the performance of the Gambian economy, except to destroy it.
BIVAC's presence in the Gambia has certainly brought about inefficiency,
dislocation and misery vis-a-vis our economy.

I also questioned their legitimacy and reputation as a company; they are
certainly not of a world-class caliber. Because the people have since
exposed the cozy relationship between BIVAC, Yahya Jammeh and SoS NFamara
Jatta and also the dubious manner in which they (BIVAC) were contracted to
perform the pre-inspection programme (PIP), without pre-qualification,
without public tender.

And now, given the widespread resistance to the BIVAC "scheme" which has
developed in the country, and resistance which could not be ignored even by
the Butcher of Kanilai, SoS Nfamara Jatta is now saying that he never
supported the BIVAC programme in the first instance. We are not interested
in his retroactive sanity. The damage has already been done and all those
responsible will have to account for their own individual actions.

In their attempt to placate us, Yahya and Nfamara have been whittling the
list of goods affected by the PIP to the bear bones. The latest exempted
goods include textiles, sugar and rice. What's left? Electronic goods? BIVAC
has no raison d'etre to be in The Gambia. They should pack up and go, and
should never be allowed to come back.

Anyway, now that the whittling process is completed and the party over,
BIVAC will now get to know better the regime that they are dealing with.
They, the APRC Government, will look for a convenient cover for some of the
dubious activities going on in the foreign exchange market and the pressure
on the dalasi.

Ebrima, for sometime now, particularly in the recent past, "these people"
have been exchanging traveller's cheques for dalasi at the Central Bank
which are immediately incinerated. This leads to the speculation that the
"T" cheques are bogus; otherwise, why destroy genuine cheques.

You do not have to be a central banker/economist to figure out that when you
exchange dalasi for traveller's cheques and then turn around an incinerate
the dollar cheques, then you will have less dollars in the economy.( Never
mind the accounting, this is what is known as creative accounting
procedures).

Less dollars means less foreign exchange of course, and therefore more
dalasi to purchase the hard-to-find foreign exchange. Now, this is where my
BIVAC friends come in. True, the PIP has caused high demand for dollars
because of their contract calls for payment in dollars, which in itself is
illegal since the legal tender in The Gambia is still the dalasi.

The high demand for foreign exchange caused by the BIVAC "scheme" is true
but not the only cause. The other activities going on in the destruction
room of the Central Bank is a contributing factor (among others, which I
will address at some point in time) which "those people" would like us to
believe, now that the BIVAC scheme has outlived its usefulness, thanks to
the uproar that the foreign exchange crisis is a direct result of BIVAC.

Sorry BIVAC, you will be left carrying the can. But, on the other hand, your
programme margin in The Gambia is three to four times higher than any of
your programmes anywhere else. Thank you, Ebrima. I wish I could make this
piece less technical, but I'll try next time. Meanwhile, the STRUGGLE
CONTINUES.