GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:31:33 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Sonko Bakary
Sent: Friday, November 12, 1999 10:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: It is Time to Heal Self and Nation

Hello Laye,

Thank you once more for your constructive proposals in trying to move our (
Gambian people)agenda forward.  I think the proposals are at the core of
what we as a nation need in order to make any meaningful progress in our
national development in the next century.  I do not think these proposals
are partisan.  They are basic human rights which are necessary for any
nation to optimize its developmental goals, whatever those may be.  I am
sure most well meaning Gambians will see these proposals as corner stones
for the way forward.

I therefore plead with all of you my compatriots to approach these proposals
with an open mind, and give them your support in all its forms in order to
help bring about the stated goals in our country.

However, one question remains and that is; how do we approach the
reconciliation process? Here are a few suggestions.

(1)     We will need a coordinating committee which,    should include
members from all factions       (opposition, government supporters and those
who     are neutral) probably to be headed by Dr. Saine.

(2)     We need to galvanize as broad a spectrum as     possible of our
people both abroad and at home.         This will give the necessary
critical mass to        push the reforms we are advocating for in The
Gambia.

(3)     We need to assure the present government of our         good
intentions and that there are no hidden         agenda for us.  This should
be easy because the     committee that will be dealing with the
government      will include supporters of the  government.  We also should
treat all the parties   to the dialogue befitting their status.

Thanks Laye.

Bakary J Sonko.