GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:11:31 +0100
      Guarantee From God Himself
 When we buy something expensive, such as a car, a computer
or an electric appliance, we always look at the guarantee
that comes with it.We want to be sure that it will function
well for a minimum period of time.
Such a guarantee satisfies a natural feeling that when you
part with a substantial sum of money, you want to be sure
that you are getting what that sum is worth. However, a
guarantee given by a dealer or a manufacturer is only
reliable so long as the status of the party issuing it
remains sound.But if we were to compare such a guarantee
with one given by God,then the difference is great indeed.

There are many statements in the Qur'an and in the Hadith
which include promises given by God. Every such promise is
certain to be fulfilled because God's promises always come
true. A Hadith quotes the Prophet as saying: "Three people
have a guarantee from God: each one of them has the
assurance that if he lives, he is spared evil, and if he
dies he is admitted into heaven. Whoever enters his home
saying a greeting of peace has a guarantee from God, and
whoever goes out to the mosque has a guarantee from
God,and whoever goes out striving for God's cause has a
guarantee from God." (Related by Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab
Al-Mufrad and Ibn Hibban)

The Hadith is self-explanatory, but we are more concerned
here with the first part which gives a guarantee to a
person who says a greeting on entering his or her own home.
If there are people inside, then the greeting
is offered to them, and this spreads a friendly feeling
inside the home,with one's own family. If nobody is in,
then the greeting is to oneself.This is also encouraged,
because when we go into an empty home, there is
always a feeling of apprehension, until one is certain that
nothing wrong has taken place in one's absence.

There are people who think too highly of themselves, or
treat their own families as subordinates. A man of this
type wants his wife and children to come up to him and
greet him as he enters. He is reluctant to be the first to
offer a greeting. This is not the proper Islamic practice.
Jabir, a companion of the Prophet who related a large
number of Hadiths, says: "When you enter your home, offer a
greeting to your family, for it is a blessed,goodly
greeting from God." (Related by Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab
Al-Mufrad).

A similar Hadith is reported by Anas who quotes the Prophet
as saying:"Son, when you enter your own home, offer a
greeting of peace, or salam, for it is a blessing to you
and to your family." (Related by Al-Tirmidhi).

Needless to say, this is part of the good manners Islam
teaches. It is aimed at generating the right atmosphere of
love and compassion within the family.

There is another aspect to greeting when one goes into
one's own home.Jabir reports that he heard the Prophet
saying: "When a man enters his own home and mentions God's
name as he enters and when he eats, Satan says (to
his offspring): 'Tonight,you have neither a place to stay
nor food.' If the man enters without mentioning God's name,
Satan says: 'You have a place to
stay tonight.'Then if the man does not mention God's name
when he eats,Satan says: 'You have both a place to stay and
food tonight.'" (Related by Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab
Al-Mufrad, and Ibn Hibban)

This is obviously a figurative statement. It is not a
matter where Satan is looking for a place where he could
lodge his offspring, or provide food for them. They do not
eat the same type of food we eat. But it is a question of
their being able to find a place where they could do their
evil work of seduction, persuading people to do what is
forbidden,and stirring trouble between people.When one is
used to mentioning God's name before embarking on any
action,including entering one's own home and eating,then
Satan has little room to play.Every time a person mentions
God's name,he reminds himself of God,and is on his guard,
trying to bring his actions and his thoughts in line with
what pleases God.In this way, he leaves no room
for Satan to influence him in thought or action.

A question arises on whether seeking permission is required
at all places, or only when one wishes to enter a home.A
Hadith tells us that two people went to visit Anas ibn
Malik,the Prophet's companion who served him
for ten years in Madinah. "Anas ibn Malik was sitting in
his corridor alone.My friend greeted him and asked: 'May I
enter?' Anas said: 'Come in. This is a place where no one
is required to seek permission.' He then put some food
before us and we ate.And he brought a large container with
some soft drink.He drank of it and gave us to drink."
(Related by al-Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad).

It is clear from this Hadith that when a person is at the
entrance of his own home,or in the front corridor, where he
can see anyone coming near,there is no need to seek
permission.It is not a place where one has privacy
which needs to be respected.Rather,it is a place where one
is almost in the street.Hence,seeking permission is not
required.

The same applies to shops and the market place. Mujahid
reports:"Abdullah ibn Umar used not to seek permission
before entering shops in the market." (Related by
Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad).

This is only natural because if we were required to seek
permission before entering a shop,then this means that a
shopkeeper,or an assistant should always be near the door
to give such permission.This may be hard for them to
maintain.When a person opens his shop in the morning,he is
seeking business,which means that people should come in and
look for what they need. He is ready to receive whoever
calls.It is unlike a home or a private
room where one maintains one's privacy. Here neither the
shopkeeper nor his customers expect privacy.It is a
business place where people are welcome to enter and look
for what they need.

Reference:Adab al-mufrad:English & Arabic:Imam Bukhari's
Book of Muslim Morals and Manners.
ISBN:1-881963-62-4
Available from:The Islamic Foundations in the UK
Price: £12.50
or From USA:- AL-SAADAWI  PUBLICATIONS
                P.O.BOX 4059
                ALEXANDRIA,VA 22303
Tel:-(703 )-751-4800

Check the following site to read the book online:
http://bewley.virtualave.net/index.html

The very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo,
Glasgow,