GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:27:30 GMT
Hamjatta should not participate in this proposed debate with Halifa Sallah.
Why? Two reasons are not in contest:

First, the circumstances under which the debate is being planned, are far
from conducive to any healthy exchange of ideas. Think about how the idea of
the debate sprung up. Halifa, having read yet another critical posting on
PDOIS by Hamjatta, announced his resolve to debate Hamjatta in his hope that
that will finally lay matters to rest. Actually, Halifa's suggestion for a
debate emerged out of a wellspring of anger and bitterness. But that's his
wont. When he comes under criticisms, Halifa can hardly cushion his
intemperance. Nowadays, he tries to put out a veneer of tolerance and
respectability towards dissenting opinions. But just two years ago, in a
debate with me, he, in sheer intellectual arrogance and conceited pomposity,
said,"...We have closed many mouths in The Gambia...."

So does he want to "close" Hamjatta's mouth in a public debate after having
failed to do that in tons of postings, part long-winded, part intimidating?
Many a time on this forum, Halifa sent volleys of postings, thinking he had
left scampering his co-debators, Hamjatta and Saul Khan, only to realize
perhaps painfully, that the duo had more volleys to match his.

I understand Halifa's frustration, or if he pleases, demeanour towards
Hamjatta's incessant criticisms over issues that have been debated time and
again. Some of us, also critical of Halifa's role during the transition,
have long laid to rest our contentions. The debate is over. Reality is, not
all of our arguments have been accepted by Halifa and Co. And trust is, he
and his colleagues have learned some lessons from our criticisms. Hamjatta
should wrap it up and demarcate new frontiers of ideological discourse. But
then again he is at liberty to connect past realities with present ones.

And it is up to Halifa to respond to him in ways he has been doing
throughout this debate. But to call for an open debate suddenly petulantly,
reeks of insincerety of purpose. Already Halifa's call has spawned
atmospherics that are bound to cause pandemonium inside the debating hall.
Momodou Olly-Mboge, an avid fan of PDOIS, claims to be helping in the
preparations for the debate. He says he wishes to "facilitate" the
arrangements. Honestly, his openly declared biases towards PDOIS make him
unfit to be a facilitator. Alpha Robinson, who myopically fanatically said
in Halifa's defence, "Halifa, WHATEVER YOU DECIDE (emphasis mine), be rest
assured that there are many Gambians and non-Gambians who treasure your role
in our history....no one can turn us against you," is ready to travel from
Germany to the UK for this debate.

Reality is, these PDOIS fans, already in hushed anticipation of a
face-to-face encounter between Halifa and Hamjatta, are so discontented with
Hamjatta's postings that their attendance will be guided less by a quest to
learn anything in this debate, but more to whet their appetites in their
"anticipated slamming" down of Hamjatta by Halifa. Oratorical victory can be
a riveting spectacle whether it is for Democrats in Al Gore's triumph over
George W. Bush or PDOIS fans in Halifa "closing" Hamjatta's mouth.

Which brings us to the second reason: What is this debate going to address
what has not been already? For months on end, Halifa and Hamjatta have
sparred over issues surrounding Halifa's tenure during the transition.
Wouldn't it mere rehasing if these same issues returned to the debating
podium? Momodou Olly-mboge said Hamjatta couldn't convince him on his
criticisms of PDOIS. So what will it take to convince him? An open debate
with Halifa? Please!

Truth be told, emotionalism has held captive any genuineness of a healthy
debate between Halifa and Hamjatta. The proposed debate has no basis. In
fact, it will simply be a game of showmanship, accentuated by
chest-thumping, table-pounding arguments and counter-arguments. More
acrimony in the offing.

Hamjatta should attend to more urgent tasks.

Cherno Baba Jallow
Detroit, MI