GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Katim S. Touray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:56:54 -0800
Hi folks,

This one is really interesting ;-)  I would suggest this:  let's not worry about
it.  The fact of the matter is "Mr. Keita" (whoever he is, is totally free to
imgaine whatever he wants to be).  I think I would have been a totally different
matter if, say, he were claiming to be Ebrima Ceesay.

Having said that, I'd like to also mention that the IP number 213.36.82.225
belongs to libertysurf.net in France (http://www.libertysurf.net).  It's
apparently a free Internet access company.  Ebrima mentions below that President
Jammeh and a number of people have access to the "Alieu S. Keita" Hotmail
account, and all of them can use it.  Be that as it may, the fact of the matter
is that any e-mail sent will under normal circumstances will indicate the
original IP address it came from.  Thus, if I access my hotmail account using a
computer in The Gambia, the origination IP address will come from the IP Address
block assigned my Internet Service Provider (ISP) in The Gambia.  And if I go to
an Internet Cafe in Dakar, Senegal, and access the same account, the origination
IP address will come from an address block assigned the ISP that serves the cafe
in Dakar.

The above is best illustrated using "Mr. Keita's" posting (PDOIS was objective
and responsible ...") of Tues., Jan. 30 to Gambia-L.  Here are the first 4 hops
of the posting (starting from "Mr. Keita's" computer with the 213.36.82.225 IP
Number):

4> Received: from MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU by MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU
(LISTSERV-TCP/IP
>          release 1.8d) with spool id 568624 for
>          [log in to unmask]; Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:49:49 -0500
3> Received: from hotmail.com (64.4.9.156) by maelstrom.stjohns.edu (LSMTP for
>          OpenVMS v1.1a) with SMTP id <[log in to unmask]>; Tue,
>          30 Jan 2001 19:49:49 -0500
2> Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
Tue,
>           30 Jan 2001 16:49:24 -0800
1> Received: from 213.36.82.225 by lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 31
>           Jan 2001 00:49:24 GMT

Notice the path:

    213.36.82.225 > lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com > hotmail.com >
maelstrom.stjohns.edu

The fact that the originating IP number is from France means that either
President Jammeh used the computer while he was in France, or he must have been
dictating to someone in using a computer France.  We know he dictates all the
time, but I don't think in this case.

Finally, I think this case raises an interesting question.  If President
Jammeh's advisers are telling him that it is not "protocol" to subscribe to a
mailing list or engage Gambians in a debate on the Internet, that would be a
disservice to him. While no one expects any President worth his or her office to
spend too much time debating on mailing lists, it is also true that even former
President Clinton would once in a while have online chats with Americans.

The Internet is becoming another powerful and cheap means that leaders (the
smart ones that is) all over the world are using to be more responsive to the
needs of their people.  To discourage President Jammeh from using it to engage
the population of Gambians that are online would be a great disservice to him,
and our nation.  But then again, that would not be the first time, nor would be
the last that we have not been served.

I was going to write about the firing of Cheyassin (or however he spells his
name), but I gotta go!  Have a great weekend, and best wishes.

Katim