GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:37:24 +0000
  Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
  Issue No. 95/05, 12-14 December,2005

  Editorial
  TRYING MOMENTS FOR THE JUDICIARY
  These are trying moments for the judiciary. It has to deal with one of the most politically sensitive cases in its history. All eyes are set on the judiciary. Will it deliver or will it not deliver? Will justice be done and seen to be done or will they yield to political pressure? Will they perform their duty without fear or favour, affection or ill-will? History will record whatever they do. The people, the makers of history, will judge them according to their deeds.
  Needless to say, the Gambia Court of Appeal is lower only to the Supreme Court, the Highest Court of the land. Decisions made by this court can be applied to cases before this court or lower courts if they contain the same facts. In short, the Court of Appeal is in a sense, a law maker. Decision made by this court or a higher court is therefore very important. A landmark decision well founded in law that can withstand the test of time can only boost the credence of the judiciary. A decision founded on semantics and legal juxtaposition geared to please personalities is bound to have a dent on the judiciary.
  Needless to say, section 120 subsection (3) of the constitution states:
  “In the exercise of their judicial functions, the courts, the judges and other holders of judicial office shall be independent and shall be subject only to this Constitution and the law, and, save as provided in this Chapter, shall not be subject to the control or direction of any other person or authority.”
  It goes without saying that where the judiciary is independent and impartial, it contributes significantly to the stability of the country, especially where misuse of power by the executive is rampant. This is so because many on whom injustice has been meted have confidence that they can seek redress from the courts and do seek redress from the courts. Many Gambians have already lost or are losing confidence on the judiciary. Justice is not seen to be done in some important instances.
  A trying time for the judiciary indeed!

  DEBT BURDEN INCREASES
  The debt burden has continued to pierce the flesh of the Gambian masses.  A huge chunk is to be taken from the budget for 2006 to service debts.  Out of a total budget of 3805 million dalasis (3.8 billion dalasis) for 2006, 1533 million dalasis is to be used to service debts.
  This is more than 40% of the budget.  Out of this1533 million dalasis, 956 million is to be paid as interest and the remaining 631 million dalasis is to serve as loan repayment.
  In short, payment of interest is much higher and constitute a quarter of the budget. Furthermore, the interest is composed of domestic interest. Domestic interest amounts to 717 million dalasis while external interest amounts to 239 million dalasis.  It is evident from these figures that domestic interest almost trebles external interest.  Domestic interest arises from treasurer bills issued by the government mainly to parastatals and commercial banks.
  Compared with this year (2005) one would notice that the situation has worsened.  Debt servicing has increased from 1466 million dalasis to 1533 million dalasis.  Interest has increased from 950 million dalasis to 956 million dalasis.
  It is significant to note that out of a total estimated income (revenue and grants) of 3313 million dalasis, 2722 million dalasis is to be derived from taxation. This constitutes 87% of total revenue.  In short, income is derived mainly from taxation.
  The National Assembly has started reviewing the estimates of revenue and expenditure of the government of the Gambia which details every public expenditure including the salary of a gardener.  Only the National Assembly has the constitutional mandate to approve the budget.  It has power to disapprove part of or the entire budget. Their role is quite significant and should they not be elected on the basis of sentiments but on their ability to deliver.

  KMC CONFIRMS ACTING MAYOR’S APPOINTMENT
  By Bubacarr K. Sowe
  The Public Relations Officer of the Kanifing Municipal Council (KMC), Kalifa Sanyang has confirmed that an acting mayor has been appointed by the Office of the President.
  According to his, the then Deputy Mayor of the council Francis Gomez was asked to step in as the acting mayor by the Office of the President through the Department of state for Local Governments.
  Meanwhile, concerned individuals have raised objections contending whether a new mayor should have been appointed because Mayor Conteh has not been proven guilty by a Court of law.
  Under the Local Government Act of 2002, cessation of office of members of the council shall come when a member is death, revocation of his or her original Mandate, written resignation, absent from three consecutive ordinary meetings of the council or when it is revoked by the electorate.
  Mayor Lai Conteh was arrested last month for alleged economic crimes and theft of 48, 796.50 and resisting arrest.

  Justice MA Paul Cleared By Police Investigation

  By Fatou Janneh
  Impeccable sources informed this paper that Justice MA Paul, the Chairperson of the Paul Commission who was implicated by the National Assembly Committee on the AMRC, has been cleared by the police investigation.
  Meanwhile, it has also been disclosed that the National Assembly members’ remarks on justice Paul was considered as only an allegation. According to our sources, the police investigation team indicated that they have not seen any legal document that could make him (Justice Paul) liable for the allegations.

         SOLDIERS FROM THE DARFUR AU
                           MISSION PAIDSOLDIERS
                     FSAYS THE GAF PRO
  By Yaya Dampha
  Refuting the rumour and complains of soldiers of the Gambia National Army contingent from Dafur that after completing their A.U. Mission, they are still not paid their allowances since they returned, the GAF Public Relation Officer, Captain Bunja Darboe said all soldiers from the A.U. Mission have been paid their dues and that there is no outstanding allowance for anyone of them.
  According to the GAF PRO, Captain Darboe, the A.U. Mission is different from the U.N. Mission. He said that the Soldiers on U.N. missions receive six hundred dollars every month while on the mission and that on their return they are paid four hundred dollars for each month. The PRO said that the A.U. mission is different; that while on AU mission, the soldiers are paid four hundred dollars every month and that is the whole amount of their pay. As far as allowances are concerned, he said that the AU mission is a new project and that it does not have enough money to pay like the UN. He said even to pay six hundred dollars for the uniforms and weapons that the Soldiers were using, was a big problem for the AU who only paid a hundred dollars for each soldier’s uniform and weapons PRO Darboe said that after the Gambia contingent returned from Dafur they were all told on parade at the Fajara Barracks with their commander, Major Singhateh, that they have no more allowance to claim and
 that all those present comfirmed to the authorites that they fully understand this point.
  However many of these soldiers feel very bitter about this. Some of them who spoke to this reporter are saying that the Army want to pay them like those soldiers who first went to Liberia who were later paid in instalments; that if their allowances are paid in bits it would have no use as one cannot do any development of any kind with small amounts. When our reporter informed them of what the PRO had said, they replied that nothing has been discussed with them until after when they came back. They told our reporter that by the time they were going, they were told by the then Chief of Staff, Col. Vincent Jatta that they would be paid four hundred dollars each month and that when they returned they would be paid their remaining six hundred dollars. They said this was said in the presence of PRO Darboe and many other military officials.

  CONTINENT BANK SUES BUNANG SANNEH

  By Yaya Dampha
  The liquidated Continent Bank Ltd has Sued Mr. Bunang Sanneh of Brikama, former customer to the Bank. The Bank is claiming over half a million dalasis from him.
  According to the particulars of the summon, the defendant was a customer of the plaintiff and had operated account No. 27932-01 at the Serrekunda and Brikama branches. At the time of the closure of business on December 31st 2002, the defendant’s account at both braches show a debit of eighty-eight thousand, five hundred (D88, 500) dalasis and three hundred and twenty thousand (320, 000) dalasis respectively, making a total of four hundred and eight (D408, 000) thousand dalasis. Interest for 2002 and 2003 were added on debit at each branch showing a total of six hundred and eight (D608, 017) thousand, seventeen dalasis.
  Inspite of several demands by the plaintiff, the defendant is alleged to have deliberately refused to pay.
  The matter had been dragging in court for a long time on the instances of the defendant who was not regular in court. However on the 8th December 2005, judgment was delivered in favour of the plaintiff. According to the judgment, Mr. Bunang Sanneh is to pay six hundred and eight thousand and seventeen dalasis (608, 017) plus one thousand (D1,000.00) dalasis as cost.
  In another matter of the same nature Suluko Butchery enterprise was ordered to pay sixty-five thousand dalasis plus one thousand dalasis as cost.
  The Suluko Butchery enterprise was also a customer of the plaintiff and had at the time of the closure of business, had the said amount as debit account.
  Mrs. Fatou Darboe, a cashier at the liquidated Bank was the witness in both Mr. Sanneh and Suluko Butchery enterprise is case. The bank was represented by Lawyer Amie Joof Conteh.

  ON THE PROPOSED BRIDGE BARAGE
  Halifa Jobe, a civil/ water resource/ rural engineer has written the following letter, expressing his views on the proposed bridge barrage. Our pages are open to all those who wish to express an opinion on this matter.

  Your Excellencies.
  Presidents of Gambia,
  Senegal, Guinea,
  Guinea Bissau,
  Nigeria (A.U Chairman),
   December 6, 2005
   Dear Citizens of Greater SeneGambians, (Gambians, .Senegalese, Guineas, &Bissau Guinean’s)
   REPLACEMENT OF PROPOSED ESTUARINE BRIDE BARAGE AT
  YELLINTENDA BY TOLL DRAW BRIDGE AT BURUKO
   The River Gambia with its source in the Futa Djalon is a net result of rainfall runoff from some 78,000 square kilometres. The bulk of this area is located 65% in Senegal, 20% in the Republic of Guinea and 15% in The Gambia. The tidal flux also constitutes an important factor in the estuary, with tidal effect felt as far inland as Gouloumbou - some 500 km from Banjul. Gambia’s total national territory of 10,000 square kilometers almost 20% is covered by the river and its flood plains which divide the country into two distinct parts: The North Bank and South Bank. The importance of the River was never lost sight of by both the Colonialists and the first Republican Government, who initiated numerous surveys, studies, consultancies lately in collaboration with the other main stakeholders such as Senegal Guinea and Guinea Bissau and formed a unified strategy for river development. This gave birth to the O.M.V.G. (Organization pour la Mise en Valeur du Fleuve Gambia or Gambia River
 Basin Development Organization) initially headed by a renounced technocrat - Malick John who previously headed Gambia’s Department of Water Resource.
  If everything went on as planned the OMVG would have been way ahead of the sister organization OMVS whose. HEP is presently supplying electricity for member states a fraction of which 75 MW A TTS is distributed in Dakar (this is more than Gambia’s total national energy supplied by NAWEC), also over 100,000 hectares of hitherto saline brackish floodplains in the delta of River Senegal are now under irrigated rice culture in Northern Senegal and Southern Mauritania, and riverine navigation has been put in place just to count a few developments on the River Senegal.
  Are we now going to go by the projected or proposed developments previously designed for us from 1974 - 1990?
   What were proposed for OM VG?
  1.   Hydro electric power and irrigation dam at Sambangalu and Kekreti -with reservoir capacities of 8000 million cubic metres and 800 million cubic metres respectively.
  2.   Estuarine Bridge Barrage at Balingho 130 km equipped with navigational locks. with additional dams for continued rice cultivation in the traditional tidal seasonal saline rice fields.
  3.   Irrigation improvement works at Prufu swamps, Bansang, Nebras.
  4.   Other irrigation, drainage, livestock and environmental projects.
   Considering the size and nature of the Gambia, I must express my reservation on the Bridge Barrage at Balingho. I strongly believe we stand to gain a lot by instead going in for only a BRIDGE at a location where it will be more durable cheaper and of less environmental havoc.
   Recently however political and socioeconomic factors have forced on us the signatory of a memorandum of understanding this time round in the presence of AU/ECOWAS chairman consenting to the construction of the long proposed BRIDGE/BARRAGE at BALINGHO.
   My fellow contemporaries, being a very ordinary engineer with thorough background knowledge of the River Gambia, Bintang Bolong, Nianija Bolong as these were my working site immediately after finishing my sixth form in 1972/73 when I was engaged as a hydrometrist. As a young man, I had travelled up and down the River with the Lady Wright cargo/passenger boat. As a hydrometrist, all the River’s relevant sections were measured/width, depth and discharge at different depths (¼ H, ½ H, ¾ H), with water samples taken at every point for analysis of sediment and water quality. We kept track and assisted consulting Hydrologists in various tasks. What struck me most after deep reflection now is the GOD GIVEN NATURAL SITES FOR BRIDGES that can last for Posterity —These were at the time called NAVIGATIONAL HAZARDS.

  1. Devil’s Point (Balingho) at kilometer 135 from Banjul
  2. Baboon Islands   at Kilometer 260 “ “
  3. Buruko at Kilometer  300 “  “
  4. Kutin at Kilometer   320  “ “
  5. Mango Park (Karantaba) at kilometer 340"  “
  6. Diabugu (Alligator Rock) at kilometer 380"  “
  As you can see the proposed estuarine bride Barrage is located on Devil’s Point. Various studies culminating with that of GT2 (German Agency for Technical Cooperation) among others choose this location as the most ideal but listed down the disadvantages as:
  (a)Mangrove deforestation equivalent to 3,600 ha
  (b)High cost of project and especially the navigation lock
  ©Frequent introduction of saline water into the reservoir
  (d)Need for other dams to be constructed to allow for traditional rice growers in the seasonably saline fields to - continue cultivating.
  (e)Destruction of fish, shrimps and other aquatic breeding ground
  (f)Over 650,000 tons of sediment deposition annually at the foot of the barrage in ten years over 1m sedimentation build up from Balingho to Kaur.

  Next in order of. priority were Dankunku Island 180 km away, from Banjul, also from Banjul at 220 km near the confluence of Nianija Bolon and the River Gambia, all had disadvantages especially the submergence of existing very good soils for rice cultivation. All these were studied and calculated some 30 years ago! Billions of cubic metres of water have since flowed under the bridge. NOW the existing realities including the most talked about GLOBAL WARMING, GREEN HOUSE GASSES - SEA LEVEL RISE. Means what should worry every citizen of the Gambia now is what will be the scenario if sea level is to rise by 2 metres? What percentage of the national territory will be left above water? Our capital city Banju1 will be. wiped of the map and large chunK of the already small national territory. This should not mean. that .we should do nothing with our WATER RESOURCE? We should be on the alert, interference with the nature of things should be well thought of and calculated, that is why we are
 going to be on the safe side if we start thinking of the much talked about TRANSGAMBIAN HIGHWAY to be relocated at BURUKO with the Great MANSAMUSA MOLLOW BALDEH
  .BRIDGE built at low cost. At Buruko the River Gambia is squeezed into two narrow 40m wide about 3m deep channels all the rest of this 400m section have rocks exposed at low tide. It was believed that this navigation hazard was made under the orders of Mansa Musa Mollow in his wish to cross the river. A draw bridge built at the 40m stretch will ensure passage of boats as well. The location has abundant good quality road material. The second capital city relocated at a secured Janjanburay, Kolikunda, Kunting Lamin Koto, Sankuley kunda YoroBerrikunda Boraba and Kesser Kunda, should in future sea level is to submerge 2m contour lines.
  In the light of the current world’s diminishing fossil fuel and its ever increasing negative effects to Global climate change, O.M.V.G would do nature a great service if use is made of River Gambia’s estuarine four hourly tidal cycle discharge (at Bakau) of 800 x 10 cubic metres equivalent to about 60,000 cubic metres per second, for the generation of electricity.
  For Senegal all that would be needed is to build in North a highway linking Koungheul and Kuntaur (from Kuntaur to Bridge site is about 20Km) or Koupentoum to Lamin Koto, whilst in the South Bank a road from Buruko to YorroBerrikunda to Galleh Manda, Kolda Sedhou will easily head to Ziguinchor.
  Please Excellencies Jammeh, Wade, Obasanjo, Conteh, V-era and fellow citizens and contemporaries excuse me for expressing my view point, may be too late, but its better late than never, let the ferry be where it is Yellintenda Bamba Tenda and lets bridge Buruko in the name of love for the sub region now and for posterity. Local folk story narrates, that When the King Hyena was brought up to Sankulay kunda Badala and was asked to board the ferry in order to be taken across to Janjanbureh where Commissioner McCarthy invited him to a meal of a herd of goats. He looked at the ferry and saw that it had been held by two big ropes one on each side. He reflected and told his family not to board, that they would rather go to Buruko at low tide they can easily reach to their destination. His reason upon seeing their host was that if the ferry was honest and reliable it would not need a rope round its neck much more 2 ropes. Even elephants have one rope.
   Solution to this conundrum is let’s play it out safe and sustainable...
  Best ‘wishes for a Merry Christmas and a happy harmonious new year 2006.
  Halifa MAS Jobe

  FOROYAA PANORAMA
  Hendry Gomez: Secretary General Of The Gambia Party For Democracy And Progress
  Interviewee: I was born at Picton Street in Banjul in 1963. Then I went to St. Theresa’s Primary School, St. George’s Primary School in Basse and St. Augustine’s High School. From there I went to Europe.
  Foroyaa: What have you been doing in Europe?
  Interviewee: I am a businessman. I have a cleansing service company in Europe. I have been in this business since 1990. I employ eighty (80) workers. These eighty workers are not Gambians only, some of them are Senegalese, Ghanaians, Nigerians, Arabs and Germans. But the majority of the workers are Gambians.
  Foroyaa: What inspired you to set up a cleansing service company?
  Interviewee: That was the only alternative I got in Europe. In Europe, you have to get the chance in order to study or you have to do something. I didn’t go to Europe to waste my time, because I knew what I left behind. That was the opportunity I got and I made good use of it. I didn’t just get up and establish this company. I went to a company looking for a job and God helped me to get the opportunity. I was doing this job. It was a hard job, but patience pays. Through patience, God put in my mind that it is life and I have to live. So I quitted the company and established my company.
  Foroyaa: What inspired you to enter into politics?
  Interviewee: God calls me to enter into politics. It’s not because of power, money or anybody. God sent me to complete a mission and I have to complete it.
  Foroyaa: What does this mission entail?
  Interviewee: The Germans taught me something and that is, before they will give me fish, they have to teach me how to fish. I am now a fisherman. God set me to teach my people (Gambians) how to fish and not to be giving them fish. This is the politics which Gomez is advocating.
  Foroyaa: You seem to speak in parables. Could you explain yourself?
  Interviewee: I don’t know about the others, but for me, I just sat down and it appears somebody told me to join politics. Nobody advised me to enter politics.
  Foroyaa: There are people who enter into politics with a view to make fortune, while there are others whose ultimate goal is to alleviate the suffering of the masses. Which category do you belong to?
  Interviewee: I am a politician for the people. I am a politician who wants to help Africa. I believe that we can make it through togetherness. I believe if Africa is united, we will not suffer. This is what Gomez is looking for. I will achieve this by the Grace of the Almighty God. I hate tribalism, discrimination and corruption.
  Foroyaa: There are people who are of the view that you are pro APRC while others say you are pro NADD. Could you clarify your stance in this issue?
  Interviewee: This is a good question. I heard about this issue. To make it clear, GPDP hasn’t said no to the coalition, GPDP hasn’t said no to APRC. None of the Parties has contacted GPDP. We (GPDP) are doing our homework. We are building our foundation because a building without a proper foundation will not last long. GPDP is not formed for only today, but for tomorrow also. We are advocating for a type of politics that will last forever, but not for politics that is just for today. We are not closing the door for anybody. The door is open for everybody. The door is even open for President Jammeh. We are all Gambians and we want the best for this country.
  Foroyaa: This means you are likely to join any party that approaches you?
  Interviewee: GPDP is not for self interest. Anybody who wants to work for GPDP, you have to come up with issues that will take this country forward. We are there for the people and we are ready to die for the people. We are ready to make people happy and so if there is anybody who wants to, we will think about it. We are there for the interest of this country.
  Foroyaa: That presupposes that GPDP is undecided.
  Interviewee: GPDP has decided. We know what we want. Why do you have to join somebody if you are confident of what you are doing? We don’t need to join anybody. They can join us if they want. We have our manifesto and our programme. GPDP is well built so anybody who wants to join GPDP is welcome. GPDP knows what it wants and GPDP is on the right track. So we are not blacking the road for anyone.
  Foroyaa: This means if President Jammeh and others want to work with you, they have to abandon their parties and join you.
  Interviewee: I have a million percent respect for the man (President Jammeh) as a president and as a Gambian. But as I said, every person has to decide what he or she wants. Mr. Jammeh is happy and comfortable with the APRC. So why should he join GPDP. President Jammeh can be in the APRC and I can be in the GPDP and we work together. I am not expecting President Jammeh to quit the APRC and join GPDP. If he does that, I will be the happiest man in the world. I will feel being honoured. He is a man who deserves respect from GPDP and me. I am not a dreamer.
  Foroyaa: Will you (Gomez) contest the 2006 Presidential Elections?
  Interviewee: GPDP intends to contest in the 2006 Presidential Elections.
  Foroyaa: Will GPDP sponsor its own candidate?
  Interviewee: It’s too early to answer that question. We will answer this question when the time comes. Let’s push this question to the corner for better times. “Keep” the question till early next year.
  Foroyaa: Would it be correct to say that you are likely to coalesce with the party you feel will win the elections so that you could be rewarded with a position like the Speaker
  Interviewee: I am a man who stands on his feet. I have never been a dependent, and I will never be a dependent. GPDP will never be a dependent party. GPDP is standing like a baobab tree. Our symbol is the elephant and if you look at that symbol, you will really know what it means. Victory is our name. So anybody who thinks that Gomez will be a Speaker is judging Gomez wrongly. I am not somebody who will be forced to drink his/her urine, just because there is lack of water. If I do that, I will be ashamed if the pumps are open.

  ARMED ROBBERS HIT AGAIN IN NUIMI
  The residents of Berending and Koli Kunda of Lower Nuimi District have confirmed that some armed robbers on Friday night blocked the Barra to Kerewan Road to travellers.  According to sources in the two villages the armed men placed some huge trunks of trees across the road. The drivers who had an encounter with the men had numbered about ten. The robbers had taken some money from people and other items including mobile phones.
  The sources further informed this reporter that the robbers also ceased the ambulance of Kerr Cherno from the driver and later abandoned it at the gate of Essau Senior Secondary School. The story was confirmed by a Police officer at Barra and the Seyfo of the district who all confirmed to this reporter that none of the robbers have so far been arrested.
  The issue of armed robbery is now becoming a common thing in the Gambia. It could be recalled that it was exactly the same time last year that a group of armed men landed behind the Banjul Market from motorised boats and took away a lot of money and goods.

  FATOTO POLICE READY TO TACKLE ARMED ROBBERS
  By Fabakary B. Ceesay
  As arm robbery and killing of business persons in URD has become common the Police at Fatoto are on the verge of containing the bandits and the community is ready to cooperate with the Police.
  The Deputy P.I.U Command, Sergeant Ansumana Manneh, said that since the deployment of his contingent about six (6) months ago, banditry in U.R.D is being contained by the Police. According to Sergeant Manneh the difficulties they had before was that, the villagers were scared of seeing Armed Police patrolling within their communities because they were not used to it; but that since the arrival of his contingent they have embarked on sensitizing the community about the Police, so that they could be seen as partners and protectors of the Gambian citizens, and to eradicate banditry in the area. According to Sergeant Manneh, they work hand in hand with the volunteers from the village committees who would also sensitize their fellow villagers about the mission of the Police; that they advice them to report any new faces or movement of strangers whose activities are suspicious that they give them contact numbers to call as soon as they see any suspicious person. This reporter asked him,
 about how the bandits enter villages and how they find out who is rich? Sergeant Manneh said that the bandits used “lumo” days to find out the wealthy business persons,” but that in most of the cases, these bandits have their own agents in the communities they are targeting. “We deploy two or more Police to villages in plain clothes, only on the notice of the village heads or committees at the border villages of Nyamanar, Bolibana etc, and we patrol the whole U.R.D, Wuli, Kantora and up to Tumana. So far more than ten criminals have been apprehended,” concluded Mr. Manneh.