GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"SS.Jawara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:35:03 +0200
Part 2:

The United States` anti-communist strategy in Asia played a very favorable
role in the growth of Singapore and the rest of the  East Asia economies in
providing  security guarantees, foreign and development aid and open access
to American markets.

Having converted some of the British military facilities to commercial  and
industrial purposes and retained laid-off workers for new jobs, Singapore
later became a supply center for  American forces and provided ship repairs
during  the increasing American involvement in Indo-china , the  beginning
of  service that made Singapore the first port in the whole world.

LEE KUAN YEW, the founder of modern Singapore, is the ultimate example of a
support of building national ownership.
He believed that a trained, knowledgeable  work force and a strong ,
efficient government were imperative to the successful transition from third
world to a first world country. Merit were high on the list of  priorities
in Singapore. Highly concerned about its talent pool, the government even
created incentives for men to marry equally educated women.

Lee´s  realization that talent is a county´s  most precious asset,
especially in resource-poor countries like Singapore, further  led to
numerous policies aimed at reducing brain drain and bringing foreign talent
to Singapore.

According to Lee, the confucian values of respect for order, harmony,
diligence and hard work were crucial for the country´s  achievements. Lee
contended that confucian societies, unlike WESTERN SOCIETIES, believe that
the individual exists in the   context of the family, friends and wider
society, and DEMOCRACY NOT ONLY CANNOT WORK THERE BUT ALSO IS NOT WELCOME,
FOR ASIANS SEE IN IT A BREAKING DOWN OF CIVIL SOCIETY WITH GUNS, DRUGS,
VIOLENT CRIME VAGRANCY AND VULGAR PUBLIC BEHAVIOR.
These highly controversial views influenced particular authoritarian types
of institutions. But one can only argue they did recognize civic engagement
as fundamental.

Lee was determined to provide foreign aid dependency and create instead a
spirit of self reliance: "assistance should provide Singapore with jobs
through industries and not make us dependent on perpetual injection of aid.
I warned our workers, the world does not owe us a living. We cannot live by
the begging BOWL."

Part 3, the last part of these series  will be coming on Saturday 17 August.
We will look into some of Lee´s  strategies that helped Singapore  be what
it became today.

Thanks for Sharing!

SS.Jawara,
Stockholm, Sweden.