GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
awa joeque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:54:32 GMT
Since the 'April Massacre' Jammeh and his cohort are reluctant to show
any remorse for what they did.  The situation in our country is one of
banditry against the people.  Jammeh's intention is to sow the seeds of
discord among the peaceful people of our country but by the grace of god it
won't happen.

The sudden disappears, arrests, deportations, hire today fire tomorrow,
threats against the media and political opponents thinking differently -
form part of Yaya's leadership.  Jammeh as we all seen has a RECORD - HE IS
A CRIMINAL and the only difference is that he is PRESIDENT and in the Gambia
that means being above the law and in today's Gambia, he is the LAW.

I think that the US government, Britain and human rights organisations
should declare the Jammeh government a TERRORIST ORGANISATION.  The
international media should not ignore what is happening in the Gambia.
Sierra Leone started like this and it was until recently that the country
started attracting media attention.  Had Sierra Leone been reported at the
initial stage of the fighting , a lot of international attention would have
been drawn, and that may have prevented some of the atrocities.

But it is so easy to engage in remote control analysis on a 'Birr bu Fess'
(full stomach) thousands of miles away from home.  How many of us are
willing to go home, or provide financial and material support where it is
desperately needed?