GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:02:01 +0000
Yes, I agree with your assessment about Museveni, and there are many
examples that we can site.  However, we cannot let corrupt leaders hide
behind the fact that the Military is bad for Africa when they are equally as
bad.  With the AU, UN and other bodies putting pressure on the military in
Africa, coupled with citizens putting pressure on these coup leaders, none
can hold the people hostage.  As I write, the majority of the tyrants in
Africa are not from the Military.  The problem in Africa is the relationship
between the governing and the governed, where the latter does not know the
role of the former and the former using that ignorance to abuse their
mandate.  So, both the system and the regimes need a change in nearly most
countries in Africa.  Our situation in Gambia is this, are we going to live
under a president to no end that is corrupt and has committed crimes against
humanity and may be willing to die than hand over power under any
circumstances?  If we ruled out the military joining the people to force
meaningful change, then what are our options?  I suppose we hope that he
dies a natural death or be sick.  In country after country in Africa, the
people are held hostage by crooks for leaders.  They loose elections but
refuse to hand over power, civilian or military.  This time we see a unique
opportunity in Bissau, and while as you rightly cautioned that it is too
premature to judge it a success, but they made remarkable progress.  None
was killed and the citizens of the country from many walks of life are
working together for a brighter future for Bissau.  Some of the so called
democracies in Africa as I write do not have anything thing remotely close
like the consensus forging in Bissau.  They are consulting outsiders in the
process and are being counseled by outsiders too.  Folks, Bissau is on track
and we need to encourage the effort they embark upon.   Dictators do not
like this new arrangement and I am happy they are nervous.

Going back to the situation in Uganda, Museveni has the support of the Army,
thus he could do all these things, changing this and that law to suite his
longevity.  The people have to stand up, get organized and somehow pry the
Army from Museveni.  We in the Gambia are in a similar situation, for Yaya
is constantly manipulating the constitution to allow him to be president for
life and he is relying on the Army to defend him.  This is why we decided to
form a coalition to vote him out.  However, that never get dictators to
leave.  It is at that time that the people are going to demand that he
vacate by force and we can get the backing and understanding of the
international community.  If we can convince the Army to abandoned him, then
our task is much easier.  However, if the Military decides to stick with
him, then I look to the peace loving proponents on this list to give us a
real solution - that does not require the use of force.  However, suffering
peacefully is not one of those options.  Yaya has been murdering Gambians
and we did zilch about them.  Emptied our coffers and we did zilch.  Why,
because we have this wish that things are going to be better without
fighting for it.  At this rate, he could easily be president for life and
Gambians starving to death in "peace" , in the hope that God put him to
sleep.  That is the situation that you and I are in.  Folks, the only thing
that is constant in life is change and we need to embrace change, especially
change that looks promising.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou